I could not find another thread for this, maybe i just didnt see it so feel free to link me to it if need be. I have a schecter Hellraiser 7 string and I hate the emg's that are in it, I want to swap them out for some Dimarzio pickups that are passive. Is this easy to do? How would you go about it?
Just take out all the parts that are active and then replace the pups. This will leave you with pickups, Tone and Volume controls and the mic selector.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
Hmm, you didn't find other topics cause, actually passive ones are placed with active ones, opposite sense, is very hard to make. I wonder why you guys don't give your guitars to man at guitar store, don't they change it for you? I mean they are probably more experienced then you on changing such hardware and electronics.
Quote by cemges
Hmm, you didn't find other topics cause, actually passive ones are placed with active ones, opposite sense, is very hard to make. I wonder why you guys don't give your guitars to man at guitar store, don't they change it for you? I mean they are probably more experienced then you on changing such hardware and electronics.

Some people are the do-it-yoreself type.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Things that restored my faith in humanity this year: 26
Things that removed all faith in humanity this year: 1,563,745,234 (estimated)

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
This is not a difficult task, but you might have to shield the control cavity, as active pickups sometimes come with guitars that aren't well shielded since pasive pickups are often internally shielded.

Can you solder? If so, just buy the parts, sheild your cavity, and go for it. There are hundreds of diagrams online to follow. Check the Ultimate Wiring Thread for more help on this topic.
Ok so basically rip everything out except the pots and rewire new pickups in like the guitar is passive. I am assuming because it has the coil tap pots that I can keep those pots I just have to wire them in right with new pickups?
You had active pickups in there, and they normally use 25K pots. For passive, generally you use 250K for single coil or 500K for humbuckers. So you would have to swap them out too. Assuming you are using humbuckers, 500K are used normally, but 250Ks can be used for a darker sound, or 1Ms for a brighter sound.
Quote by Wisthekiller
Ninja'd^

With actives to passives, you'll need to change out the pots and jack too. Don't know why people are saying to leave them in...

Oh forgot about that.
While this is not necessary, jacks are cheap, so you may as well.
Actives use a stereo jack, passives use mono. If you want to use the same jack, you can just ground the sleeve and leave the ring unsoldered, or ground both. Either will work.
Or you can just swap out the jack.
Quote by minnis
Oh forgot about that.
While this is not necessary, jacks are cheap, so you may as well.
Actives use a stereo jack, passives use mono. If you want to use the same jack, you can just ground the sleeve and leave the ring unsoldered, or ground both. Either will work.
Or you can just swap out the jack.

^ Correct: I just replaced the EMG's I had in a guitar with passive Duncans yesterday night and just used the active jack instead of buying a new one.

TS, these folks are right, you have to replace the entire wiring harness except for the pickup selector and the jack. You might even have to run a ground to the bridge, since some active circuits omit that.