Hey guys and girls!

I'm a guitarrist and a songwriter. I'm currently writing a lot of songs on my acoustic guitar, and have until this point had one of my very good friends sing all my songs. But it seems like everytime we play it is not sounding exactly like i would like it to sound. And of course i doesn't because it's not me singing.

So here's my question: Can you actually learn to sing and improve your voice, or is singing just a thing that someone can do and others just can't?
No gear.. Just tits.. And some gear.. Mostly Fenders.. And tits.. A Takamine acoustic.. An Orange tube amp.. A shitty Fender amp.. AND TITS! And a big fuckload of pedals that i don't know how to use..
Everyone can learn how to sing great, some learn faster and some slower of course. Btw, don't expect to get exactly the vocal tone you want, everyone's is different and you can't change the way you sound that much
Im in the same boat as you. Its going to take time though, I'm by no means a very good singer but I have improved alot from when I started. Practice along to videos by "sbgalt" on youtube for a start, thats what I did.
Some people can just naturally sing.

The rest of us need to learn how. But once we learn how, then we can do it too.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Yes, everyone can learn.
Yes, everyone should learn it proper.
Most who have not taken lessons either
ends up using damaging vocal techniques,
or, through luck or self-study, arrives at the
correct ones.
If it hurts - stop is the best general advice.
Unless vocal longevity is unimportant, naturally.
Anyone can learn to sing. For some people it comes very naturally.....for others they need to work on it (lessons & practice). The one thing I've observed is that people who have a good ear for pitch, progress much faster..............
Almost everyone can learn to sing.

It's not clear, however, that anyone can learn to sing wonderfully.

A small percentage of people are tone deaf. I don't know if they could really learn to sing. Developing your ear is crucial in any event.

Your intonation, breath control, and ability to hit pitches can all improve.

However, people have a limited ability to change the timbre of their voice. If you have a timbre which displeases you, you will only have a limited ability to change it.

Definitely worth lessons, though, if it matters to you.
Yes, anyone can learn to sing. I used to be pretty terrible a few years ago, and now I'm not that bad. What I did was I found out what my range was, and I found other singers in that range. When I did that I started singing along with the volume turned down enough that I could hear myself over the music. From there I just worked at it until I could make it decent.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Yes.

I'd definitely suggest getting lessons though, as opposed to trying to teach yourself. I think stumbling over the correct techniques is more a matter of luck than talent. And as the weird people who embarrass themselves on talent shows demonstrate, you can keep using the same incorrect techniques for years if no-one corrects you. I've just begun getting lessons after a while of trying to teach myself, and it turns out my voice is pretty decent but my technique is abysmal.
I hope so.
I wish I could sing, but I have an extremely limited range.
I haven't worked on it though, because I've never taken lessons and I don't want to learn bad habits.
If someone really wants to learn to sing they are going to, lessons or not. usually I'm sure people learn that they really enjoy singing by...Singing of course.

Your voice is pretty tough, It takes professional rock stars many years with bad habbits to ruin a voice.

Not to mention vocals usually out live you. Look at ozzy. looks like shit still singing tho.

It doesnt take lessons it takes Hard work and dedication.

Keep it at its most natural form youll be alright
Yeah,
And I think you might actually be able to learn how to sing pretty well based on the facts that you A) Have determination to sing.B)Have heard "good" singers IN PERSON.(Which actually helps a lot more than you would think.)and finally C) You have an acoustic which i think is awesome cause it can really help you find your range/voice as you mess around with different notes,scales,keys,whatever.
So just practice, take lessons if you can and DON'T give up.
good luck.
NEW SIGNATURE!
Quote by metalmetalhead
If someone really wants to learn to sing they are going to, lessons or not. usually I'm sure people learn that they really enjoy singing by...Singing of course.

Your voice is pretty tough, It takes professional rock stars many years with bad habbits to ruin a voice.

Not to mention vocals usually out live you. Look at ozzy. looks like shit still singing tho.

Keep it at its most natural form youll be alright

Ruining voices permanently tends to take long, ruining them to the point where they simply sound awful and need time to restitute takes rather short. There's a reason some singers' voices can't handle touring. If by natural form you mean 'nothing that strains', then yes. You are doing it right. *awards 1 internetz*
Quote by metalmetalhead

... except before I learned any kind of technique, I would try to sing and be hoarse for the whole next day. If I had to sing two days in a row, I'd have been screwed.

Quote by metalmetalhead

.... except if you don't learn how to produce the voice, you spend years of hard work and dedication learning how to do it incorrectly. For some people, that works. For most of us, it doesn't.

My instructor always likened singing to golf. A golfer with no technique can spend a lifetime working hard to become a better golfer. Twenty years later, he's still cranking the living daylights out of the ball to get it 150 yards, while half the time, slicing it into the trees on one side, or hooking it into the rough on the other. Oh sure, he's a damned sight better than he was twenty years ago, but if spent a few months learning how to do it properly in the beginning, he'd be a much better golfer now.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
... except before I learned any kind of technique, I would try to sing and be hoarse for the whole next day. If I had to sing two days in a row, I'd have been screwed.

Well you outta not do that then. Its common since telling you that you did something wrong. Prolly not staying in your range.

.... except if you don't learn how to produce the voice, you spend years of hard work and dedication learning how to do it incorrectly. For some people, that works. For most of us, it doesn't.

Learning how to sing involves countless hours Of practice and experimenting. Since every singer has there own voice. The goal and the out come is up to the singer. not the teacher. The teacher is just a guide Indiana jones didnt have a guide. A guide is not necessary. besides thats what the Internet is for.

My instructor always likened singing to golf. A golfer with no technique can spend a lifetime working hard to become a better golfer. Twenty years later, he's still cranking the living daylights out of the ball to get it 150 yards, while half the time, slicing it into the trees on one side, or hooking it into the rough on the other. Oh sure, he's a damned sight better than he was twenty years ago, but if spent a few months learning how to do it properly in the beginning, he'd be a much better golfer now.
CT

Everything takes practice Does everyone need a golf instructor to play golf?

The biggest mistake I make, And many more that dont realize it. Drinking the wrong stuff and singing. Like caffeine and alcohol. Just plan water works for me. But if you dont drink nothing it can feel as if your singing incorrect. But really your voice is dry. Your vocal chords naturally touch each other. Its when your yelling and there slaming each other that creates nodes and poly-word. which would take alot of work. your vocal chords are tough Plus they heal. take vocal breaks

But not drinking the right stuff really diminishes the quality of your voice quickly. That and singing out of your range. Its common since when your singing for about 30 min and your voice hurts or aches, or you keep runing out of breath.

We have the power of the Internet now a days. If you called that part of teaching then Id have to agree with you. But for needing A real life teacher to learn how to sing music..No way. There will always be music with or without teachers.

Im self thought still no holes in my voice
For some reason a ton of UGers are opposed to actually taking lessons for anything. They seem to think that clicking on some internet videos is the same thing.

It's not. Yes, you can learn things from a good instructional video. But it's not the same as sitting down with an instructor who's looking at what YOU'RE doing and helping you work on what you're doing wrong.

A big part of the problem is that we often don't know what we don't know. For example, when I started singing I wasn't opening my mouth enough. This buried my voice and actually gave me some problems with pitchiness, too. An instructor looked at me singing and said, "open your mouth more. No ... more. I know it feels weird. More." And bam - huge improvement.

Now maybe I could have eventually stumbled across a video which would have addressed that issue - but I wouldn't have known to, because I didn't know it was a problem, and I didn't know enough to connect "pitchy" with "mouth not open enough."

And that's just my experience. You are undoubtably making your own mistakes, habits which you could change to vastly improve your ability to sing, if you only knew that they were mistakes.

It's worth pointing out that opera and classical singers - people who are much more trained that pretty much everybody on this board - tend to work extensively with coaches even once they're already working at a professional level. A friend of a friend of mind gets paid $100/hr to work with established musicians - people you've probably heard sing! - to maximize what they can get out of their voices.

If those people are choosing to work with an instructor, it strikes me as the height of hubris for most of us to say, "naw ... nothing for me to learn there."
Let's see if the logic still holds up:

Quote by metalmetalhead

Learning how to sing involves countless hours Of practice and experimenting. Since every singer has there own voice. The goal and the out come is up to the singer. not the teacher. The teacher is just a guide Indiana jones didnt have a guide. A guide is not necessary. besides thats what the Internet is for.

Learning how to swim involves countless hours Of practice and experimenting. Since every swimmer has there own stroke. The goal and the out come is up to the swimmer. not the teacher. The teacher is just a guide Indiana jones didnt have a guide. A guide is not necessary. besides thats what the Internet is for.

Quote by metalmetalhead

Everything takes practice Does everyone need a golf instructor to play golf?

We have the power of the Internet now a days. If you called that part of teaching then Id have to agree with you. But for needing A real life teacher to learn how to sing music..No way. There will always be music with or without teachers.

Im self thought still no holes in my voice

Everything takes practice Does everyone need a swim instructor to swim?

We have the power of the Internet now a days. If you called that part of teaching then Id have to agree with you. But for needing A real life teacher to learn how to swim..No way. There will always be swimmers with or without teachers.

Im self thought still haven't drowned.

CT

I was thrown in and learned to swim, So our out looks doesnt match. so what

Theres a alot of benefits to having an insturctor, and after you start singing for a living maybe u'd want to pay for lessons. But You do NOT have to have a teacher to learn how to sing.

I've done alot of research. and just by Looking at it different can change the out come. mind over matter type of thing.

I practice opera singing also, I was amazed at the improvements I made just by staying in my range. really helps you stay relaxed.

But of course you will deny my experiences. and ramble on trying to make me see that everyone needs a singing teacher.

Iv seen so much false stuff from instructors online. Id rather take my chances anyway.
Quote by metalmetalhead
But You do NOT have to have a teacher to learn how to sing.

Holy straw man, batman!
Quote by metalmetalhead
I was thrown in and learned to swim,

I wonder what children's aid would say about that.

Quote by metalmetalhead

Iv seen so much false stuff from instructors online. Id rather take my chances anyway.

Of course, if you took the time to research instructors and find a good one, that instructor could teach you how to get your voice out of your throat and how to achieve resonance in far less time than it will take you to learn that on your own.

CT

I didn't know that I wasn't great at singing until I started recording. which was a terrible time to make such a discovery. hahaha. but in the end, I'd say that's what really helped me. I could finally hear what I really sounded like, so I could make the changes I needed to. it was pitch mostly.

lessons probably would've helped.
I guess I learned to sing the same way I learned most chords: Bob Dylan and the Beatles song books.
Quote by metalmetalhead
I practice opera singing also, I was amazed at the improvements I made just by staying in my range. really helps you stay relaxed

No offense, but your argument is pointless now. Nearly every opera singer has lessons until they quit, pretty much, my singing teacher has a teacher, and so does he, and so on. If you teach yourself to sing opera over the internet, you're gonna show it off one day, and there will be a guy laughing his arse off because you're, frankly, rubbish. Opera is hard to maintain, it's a perfectionist singing style. There's no reason not totake lessons, singers like Tony Kakko and Bruce Dickinson are the exception, not the rule. Take Hansi Kursch, for example, his pre-Nightfall in Middle Earth stuff was pretty simple, he even had to get Kai Hansen in for the high notes in Twilight World and Valhalla, he finds a singing teacher, and just listen to what he does in A Night At The Opera or At The Edge of Time, it's night and day.
Hey OP from what I've read the experts say that anyone can learn to sing. Your voice is like a muscle that can be strengthen and improved over time by doing regular voice exercises and in theory anyone can learn to sing this way. You just have to do voice exercises and learn the correct vocal techniques. I read a great article on how anyone can learn to sing at --- singsource.com/can-anyone-learn-to-sing
Yes you can learn to sing. You have to get an instructor and take lessons and then practice a lot. I have learned to sing, but my vocal range is lower than what I need, so I am out of luck.

ron666
Not everyone can learn to sing. There is a distinction between people who can carry a tune and people who can't. Some people are completely tone deaf and are incapable of learning how to carry a tune. As long as you have that foundational ability, no matter how poor your actual singing is, you can always learn to get better. I have come across many people though who are hopelessly tone deaf.