Page 1 of 7
Here's something new for you fellas! My custom 8 string guitar made by Steve Wishnevsky! AS you can see this is a weird guitar, lets get on to the specs.

-Ambrosia maple/ I dont remember, maybe mahogany/walnut? top.
-Mahogany/walnut? back
-Purpleheart fretboard
- thru-neck
-NO truss rod ( i know, crazy!)
-26 frets

And now its picture time

There was a bit of work that had to be done with this guitar. When I got it, it was very rough to the touch, as he isnt very into the cosmetics of luthiery. There was a coat of shellac, and I used a very fine sanding sponge, to make it smooth. I put a coat of tung oil on the board just this morning, for UV protection and all. Also, it seems the holes for the control plate were too big for the screws, so they just fall out. Right now, i'm just holding it on with tape.

As far as the sound goes, I can tell it has alot of potential. all it needs is a pickup swap, and I can see this thing being a beast. I had to cannibalize a string off my bass, but after that, the 8th string is really nice and tight! ( perverts)
THALL
A custom made guitar that needs a lot of work when you get it? doesn't sound like a really good purchase... I thought they'd make customs exactly like you want them...
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
I've seen quite a couple of 8-strings that have the big bout on the bass side, does this help the tension or resonance or something like that?
Repost? HNGD anyways.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by Spud Spudly
Did he charge you for that thing?

You dont like it?
THALL
Quote by housty
You dont like it?

Disregarding the aesthetic issues, which vary from person to person, it just sounds like there's a lot of tech issues with it.
I'm sorry man, now I feel bad. I didn't mean to slam your guitar. It's just that a custom made should be perfect out of the box.
Happy new harp day.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
I don't have anythng to add to this thread..

Ts, you now have a guitar so unique you can never be rivaled for diversity...
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
I hope to **** that TS is trolling. That thing is god awful. Really? I wouldn't pay any sort of money for that thing. I wouldn't even accept it for free.

Not to mention the problems you already have with it..
Austin Les Paul
Alvarez Acoustic

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100
Peavey 5150 2x12 60watt combo
Orange Micro Terror
Jet City Made in USA 2x12
Sorry, but there's no ****ing way I'd put up with that for any amount of money. The string spacing is ****ed, plus the other issues you mentioned. And it looks like the strings are rubbing the wood behind the nut, which will cause tuning issues. Just an all around WTF. Builder made his way onto my shit list.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
TS - Sorry dude, but if this is a for-real NGD, it looks like there are a few serious problems with your axe. Look at the fret wire - they don't look parallel to one another, especially around 15-24 frets. And the string break from the nut to the tuners looks horrific, as does the string-through at the bridge. I'd take the thing back.
Last edited by frazzledazzle at Nov 23, 2011,
Mate, you can polish a turd, but its still a turd. And what you've got there, is a bona fide turd.
GEAR:
Jackson JS30KE
ESP EC 401FM
Ibanez RG 321MH
Peavey 6505+ 112

Brice HXB 405GL2TS
ESP B154DX
Ampeg BA-108

TC Electronics Polytune
Vox Classic Wah
You know how some things can be so ugly there's pretty? Well this one ran around that circle twice and came back ugly.

HNGD. I hope you get some nice sounds out of it - which is all that should matter.
Last edited by cbara at Nov 23, 2011,
Take it back, and ram it up his arse.
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
How much did you pay for it?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Nov 24, 2011,
I'm sorry, but that is fuggers
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Regardless of what people have said about the cosmetics of the thing, I'd personally echo their sentiments about not paying for something that isn't completely what you want. The word "custom" should mean that it's tailored to your exact specifications, and that whatever amount you're paying should cover the work (within reason) to get it to where you are 100% satisfied with the guitar and nothing less. If we're talking about a custom model from an individual luthier especially, I'd find stuff like the following intolerable.
Quote by housty
When I got it, it was very rough to the touch, as he isnt very into the cosmetics of luthiery. There was a coat of shellac, and I used a very fine sanding sponge, to make it smooth

That should be his job, not yours.
Quote by housty
Also, it seems the holes for the control plate were too big for the screws, so they just fall out. Right now, i'm just holding it on with tape.

Seems like crappy workmanship to me personally.
Quote by housty
all it needs is a pickup swap

Again, something that should be the luthier's job rather than the customer's.

I'd give him a call and see if you can have all of this stuff updated; in my opinion, if you're getting a customized guitar and aren't 100% satisfied, then the job hasn't been complete.

Good luck with it and enjoy, though.
Last edited by :-D at Nov 24, 2011,
Oh man 311

Post of the day. TS, I agree for something you probably paid good money for there's no way in hell there should be that degree of issues with it. If it's a custom build, why do you have to swap the pickup shouldn't it already be what you wanted, hence custom?
I looked up the name of who he said made this and believe it or not the guy builds guitars. Idk. What to say next lol.
GUITARS:
PRS Custom 24 (Black Slate 10 top w/birds)
ESP E-II Horizon NT-III (RDB)
ESP Eclipse II - Snow White

AMPS:
Mesa Rectoverb combo
Quote by AXEFAN88
I looked up the name of who he said made this and believe it or not the guy builds guitars. Idk. What to say next lol.

Checked out his website. I'm pretty sure I saw Les Claypool playing one of his basses earlier this year :S

EDIT: nvm it's just a Carl Thompson knockoff
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Nov 24, 2011,
A neck stock that is mostly mahogany and maple with no truss rod and 8 strings on it is going to warp magnificently the next season change. I don't like to judge these things form low-res photos but it does inddeed look like most of the parts are poorly fitted and if you're having to sand down the finish, hold cover plates in with tape and change pickups yourself then no, this is not acceptable. You're being robbed.
This guitar, apart from looks, sounds very terrible technical wise. No truss rod? 8 string? The neck will warp somehow you will be able to play harp with that shit. How are you going to intonate that? Apart from crazy custom price, now you have to change pickups, sand down the finish, and change the knobs and pots too?
That's a rob.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Honestly, did you do any research at all? A quick Google search tells me Wishnevsky is an ass clown.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
When I got it, it was very rough to the touch, as he isnt very into the cosmetics of luthiery

i understand like if I say i'm not into the cosmetics of ampbuilding because I suck ass at wood work and can't make a cabinet to save my life...

but when you say someone isn't very into the cosmetics of luthiery what does that mean?

like what are they good at? roughly cutting the guitar into the right shape?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Please tell me this is some sort of sick joke. Looks unplayable for several different reasons. No upper fret access, string spacing is wack, etc. WOW!!!!