Poll: Is this disrespectful to do?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is this disrespectful to do?
Yes
11 23%
No
15 31%
ballsack groceries
22 46%
Voters: 48.
Page 1 of 2
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/11/23/michele-bachmann-jimmy-fallon/

Some minor controversy here. I really don't think it's that big of a deal but I figured i'd see what others think.

The Roots are Jimmy's house band and they usually play some clever and witty stuff that's really awesome as intro music cause Questlove is a G. (For example they played "This is How We Do It" but changed 'Do I' to 'Mandell' when Howie Mandell came on) But in the case of Michelle Bachmann, they played "Lyin' Ass Bitch", a song by the punk group Fishbone. They didn't sing the lyrics or anything, but they played the song and it was no doubt intentional. Questlove said it was a "spur of the moment" kind of thing and nobody knew they were going to do it but them. And also he announced he was doing something on twitter

So I ask how you all feel about this? Is it disrespectful to play that song as intro music for somebody? Is it also sexist by using the word bitch (you're welcome due)? I love The Roots and I definitely think it's disrespectful, cause she was invited on the show and left defenseless with an obscure punk song that she would never recognize. You don't invite somebody on your show to make fun of them unless your name is Stephen Colbert.

The original song
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
fitting, but childish and inappropriate none the less.

Quote by Lyin' Ass Bitch
I don’t have anything against Jimmy Fallon. I love him, he’s a kick. It was a great opportunity to be on the show. I’d love to go back again. But I think the point is, if that had been Michelle Obama who had come out on the stage, and if that song had been played for Michelle Obama, I have no doubt that NBC would have apologized to her and likely they could have fired the drummer, at least suspended him. None of that happened from NBC. And this is clearly a form of bias on the part of the Hollywood entertainment elite, but it’s also, I think, sexism as well. This wouldn’t be tolerated if this was Michelle Obama; it shouldn’t be tolerated if it’s a conservative woman either.

the main difference is she's the First Lady and you are just another candidate. As a candidate you are in the spotlight and you are held at public scrutiny at all times. As the First Lady, what do you do? Unless your name is Eleanor Roosevelt, what do you have influence over? What part of your politics are open for criticism and debate? If you had a chosen a more appropriate comparison, maybe Nanci Pelosi for example, your argument would be valid.

Bias and Sexism? Or maybe they just don't like you because of your obscene politics? It really amazes me how quick Conservatives play victim nowadays and don't acknowledge any other reason for the hate they might receive. Don't blame anyone other than yourself for any criticism you get.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/michele-bachmann/statements/?page=1

case in point
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Nov 23, 2011,
I think it's hilarious. Personally. Fallon didn't have anything to do with it from what I heard, it was all Questlove. Was it a little disrespectful? Sure. But it's not a huge deal. And it's both fitting and awesome.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Last edited by Thrasher51 at Nov 23, 2011,
Just another stupid incident for her to garner sympathy.
All your base are belong to us.
Not really a fan of hers in the slightest, but if Fox News had done something similar to this we all know we'd be flipping a shit.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
I saw this on Facebook yesterday. Fucking hilarious.

EDIT: And I wouldn't say it's sexist. The song uses "bitch" and "slut" ironically.
Last edited by due 07 at Nov 23, 2011,
Quote by lushacrous
Not really a fan of hers in the slightest, but if Fox News had done something similar to this we all know we'd be flipping a shit.

Doubt it. I think most people here have reached the point where nothing from Fox surprises us.
Quote by due 07
I saw this on Facebook yesterday. Fucking hilarious.

Why aren't you tripping shit over the obvious feminist insult? Are you only a feminist when it comes to defending people who you like and agree with?

edit:

EDIT: And I wouldn't say it's sexist. The song uses "bitch" and "slut" ironically

“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I was watching that night. As soon as he said her name I thought, "Gee, this'll sure be awkward." Then they played that song. Then I turned off the TV.
Quote by Natrone
I'm a pretty hardcore Christian. I would like to sincerely apologize that you ran into that little fucktard

Quote by mystique facade
dale-banez made a fool of himself..lol

my gear:

oh wait, no one cares
Quote by bradulator
Why aren't you tripping shit over the obvious feminist insult? Are you only a feminist when it comes to defending people who you like and agree with?

edit:

You can't tell me a band who have used their discography to preach leftist social commentary would seriously write "Lyin' Ass Bitch" with a straight face.

EDIT: But OT: Yeah I think it was disrespectful, I ain't givin' fucks tho.
Last edited by due 07 at Nov 23, 2011,
I don't really care. IIRC the band that plays when England receives foreign dignitaries played the Darth Vader theme for a member of the Saudi royalty once.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
fitting, but childish and inappropriate none the less.

My thoughts exactly.
NOT EASILY LED, EASILY BANNED.
love ?uest.

if anything controversy will mean that Undun winds up getting more publicity since it comes out in two weeks.
Is Michelle Obama a lyin' ass bitch? If not, I don't see the comparison.
Quote by Thrasher51
I think it's hilarious. Personally. Fallon didn't have anything to do with it from what I heard, it was all Questlove. Was it a little disrespectful? Sure. But it's not a huge deal. And it's both fitting and awesome.

It should be apparent that Fallon had nothing to do with it since it was funny.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Nov 23, 2011,
Quote by Jack Off Jill

It should be apparent that Fallon had nothing to do with it since it was funny.

Oh snap
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
"but it’s also, I think, sexism as well. This wouldn’t be tolerated if this was Michelle Obama; it shouldn’t be tolerated if it’s a conservative woman either.”

Does she think Michelle Obama isn't a woman? What a dumb bimbo.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Honesty, The Roots are so godly they can do whatever the hell they want, and i wouldn't blame them. Fallon is pretty good too.
Hugging Thread; I'm here to help

Oh you wouldn’t want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise they wouldn’t wannna watch
Another uninnocent, elegant fall
Into the unmagnificent lives of adults

It's Tessa, not Tesse please.
Quote by itchy guitar
"but it’s also, I think, sexism as well. This wouldn’t be tolerated if this was Michelle Obama; it shouldn’t be tolerated if it’s a conservative woman either.”

Nevermind, maybe she did deserve it.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I'm not a fan of Bachmann, but it was definitely inappropriate. Bitch is a degrading term for a woman and for a group of musicians on a television program to specifically use that song is very disrespectful. I don't care if they did this off air, that's their own choice but on air it's different.

If Obama was a guest and a band played a song that was degrading to black people(contained n****r) people would be freaking the **** out.
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They're taken to a special place and burned - Sherlock Holmes

Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass!

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.
Quote by )v(egaFan90
I'm not a fan of Bachmann, but it was definitely inappropriate. Bitch is a degrading term for a woman and for a group of musicians on a television program to specifically use that song is very disrespectful. I don't care if they did this off air, that's their own choice but on air it's different.

If Obama was a guest and a band played a song that was degrading to black people(contained n****r) people would be freaking the **** out.

The band is black. The band also never used the term bitch. They didn't even name the song. I also somehow don't think it has anything to do with her being a woman.
Quote by itchy guitar

I think she's called Questlove a sexist, but saying NBC is okay with it because she's conservative. Honestly, they're just acting like NBC doesn't have a history of mocking Republicans. It has nothing to do with her being a woman.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Quote by Jack Off Jill

I think she's called Questlove a sexist, but saying NBC is okay with it because she's conservative. Honestly, they're just acting like NBC doesn't have a history of mocking Republicans. It has nothing to do with her being a woman.

exactly, does NBC now have to issue an apology any time that Saturday Night Live mocks someone?
Quote by uhh_me?
exactly, does NBC now have to issue an apology any time that Saturday Night Live mocks someone?

Dubya seemed to be a good sport about it. He even wanted to meet Will Ferrel. Will shot him down, though.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill
Dubya seemed to be a good sport about it. He even wanted to meet Will Ferrel. Will shot him down, though.

Surprisingly, he was a good sport through all of the flak he got.

Well, I guess he was upset about the Kanye thing. But that wasn't really much of a joke.
Last edited by blake1221 at Nov 23, 2011,
Quote by uhh_me?

So implying that someone is a lying bitch is on the same level as mocking someone? Yes, no words were explicitly spoken towards Bachmann but there sure as hell was some implications. Personally, I don't see implying that someone is a lying bitch as being mocking.
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They're taken to a special place and burned - Sherlock Holmes

Quote by blake1221
Well, I guess he was upset about the Kanye thing. But that wasn't really much of a joke.

It was, however, the funniest thing of all. Mike Meyers's reaction

Quote by )v(egaFan90
So implying that someone is a lying bitch is on the same level as mocking someone? Yes, no words were explicitly spoken towards Bachmann but there sure as hell was some implications. Personally, I don't see implying that someone is a lying bitch as being mocking.

Have you heard the original song? It's light-hearted, ironic fun. Lighten up.

Quote by due 07

You are so one to talk
Last edited by blake1221 at Nov 23, 2011,
Quote by due 07

No, dude, I'm not freaking out or anything. I could care less about Bachmann. I did listen to the original and I agree it's light-hearted and ironic fun. However, what would you say was the purpose of The Roots playing that particular song when Bachmann walked out? Would they have done that if Michelle Obama was a guest?

I think it's hilarious. Personally. Fallon didn't have anything to do with it from what I heard, it was all Questlove. Was it a little disrespectful? Sure. But it's not a huge deal. And it's both fitting and awesome.http://x.nu/wJgp2
Holy shit. This adbot is becoming intelligent.

Quote by Holy Katana

Not rearrry.

Quote by )v(egaFan90
No, dude, I'm not freaking out or anything. I could care less about Bachmann. I did listen to the original and I agree it's light-hearted and ironic fun. However, what would you say was the purpose of The Roots playing that particular song when Bachmann walked out? Would they have done that if Michelle Obama was a guest?

Not if they agree with Michelle Obama's beliefs. Which is why it isn't sexist.

Besides, who gives a shit if they offend a bigot like Michelle Bachmann? A homophobe like her shouldn't be throwing terms like sexist around. You wouldn't ask me if I'd say the same thing about Michelle Obama would you?
Quote by vintage x metal

I don't think it's too disrespectful as they didn't sing the lyrics and hardly anyone would get the joke. Although even if it was disrespectful, I can't say I'm too bothered about it anyway.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I'd have to say yes. Michelle Bachmann can go die in a hole. I love the Roots. But it was no doubt disrespectful.
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Page 1 of 2