I will be replacing the pickups on my strat-style guitar. Can I avoid removing the strings by just loosening them some and removing the neck with the strings still on the guitar?
“It’s been very important throughout my career that I’ve met all the guys I’ve copied, because at each stage they’ve said, "Don’t play like me, play like you.”
Eric Clapton

Most Epic Build!
Strings are $5.00 down here in Georgia.... how expensive are they up in Maryland?
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Well yeah you can.
But i highly recommend you get new strings once
you're done comparing the tone difference.
NEW SIGNATURE!
Quote by aeromakesmusic
Well yeah you can.
But i highly recommend you get new strings once
you're done comparing the tone difference.

Why? I'm planning to test 3 different pickups.
Quote by Papabear505
Strings are $5.00 down here in Georgia.... how expensive are they up in Maryland?

Ernie ball 9s are about $8.00 at the local shop.
“It’s been very important throughout my career that I’ve met all the guys I’ve copied, because at each stage they’ve said, "Don’t play like me, play like you.”
Eric Clapton

Most Epic Build!
Quote by IMtBike
Why? I'm planning to test 3 different pickups.

Oh, well, yea then.. you can...(obviously if you had mentioned that, I'd have said) loosen em up good.. LOL

Quote by IMtBike
Ernie ball 9s are about $8.00 at the local shop.

wow I was talkin about EB Super Slinky's...

Might need to look online for strings and save some money...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
It worked! The strings were a bit of a mess up at the headstock, but it was still much quicker than removing all the strings.
Eric Clapton

Most Epic Build!
Quote by IMtBike
It worked! The strings were a bit of a mess up at the headstock, but it was still much quicker than removing all the strings.

Great.. How'd the pick ups sound, and which ones did you get?
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Papabear505

Dude I live in Georgia to!! Small world.
Quote by IMtBike

you should have loosen them a little then taped them around the 1st fret to stop twisting etc
I'm actually making my own pickups for a science fair project. I didn't get to test them because I'm not done making them and I forgot to do all the tests with the stock pickups. I'll post some recordings of them when I'm done!
Eric Clapton

Most Epic Build!
Quote by sytharnia1560
you should have loosen them a little then taped them around the 1st fret to stop twisting etc

Good idea I'll do that next time.
Eric Clapton

Most Epic Build!
Quote by LeviMan_2001
It would have been quicker to unwind them than to post on a forum

I'll be doing this three times, so in the end it will save me time. And I'm not a very fast re-stringer.
Eric Clapton

Most Epic Build!
Sorry I'm late to this post but next time you do this loosen the strings with a capo on the first fret. That way you can slack them in front of the capo but still keep a bit of tension at the string posts wo they don't unravel and get all messy.
Quote by inkandlead
Sorry I'm late to this post but next time you do this loosen the strings with a capo on the first fret. That way you can slack them in front of the capo but still keep a bit of tension at the string posts wo they don't unravel and get all messy.

I will definitely do that.
Eric Clapton

Most Epic Build!