Minor
23 41%
Modal
11 20%
Atonality
10 18%
Voters: 56.
Page 1 of 2
Studying music, I have to address this question A LOT. Where does the point between music and noise start/end? And how do you bridge the gap between tonality and atonality?

I personally feel, to begin with, atonal music was just avant garde composers trying to be a bit clever, with the 2nd Viennese school and the like. But studying Stockhausen in depth has made me rethink my opinions. Modern classical music seems to have no place in our world and the only times you'll hear new music written for full orchestra, with a coherent key, in the mainstream is in films.

What is your opinion pit? Also, what is your favourite tonality?
I think you know fine well that 98% of the pit has no idea what any of that means.

You're just trying to look clever, you dick.

Quote by sam b
I think you know fine well that 98% of the pit has no idea what any of that means.

Also this
ggg1 ggg3

Last edited by behind_you at Nov 23, 2011,
Quote by sam b

Like dem damn africa garden musicians!

OT: Could you give me any specific Atonal piece?
My favourite is Major.

Come at me bro.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
Minor is the one I use the most in composition but nothing impresses me more than something written brilliantly in atonality.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Mars Volta is lush and they have loads of atonal shizzle goin on as well as tonal (whatever that all means, you prob mean dissonance)...

so I guess both, just listen to whatever ****s your ear pussies the best brah
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
whatever the hell sounds good. It doesn't matter to me.
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
turtles like me
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
You're studying music and this is your perception of 20th/21st century art music?

I just don't like it. At least when Schoenberg was writing expressionist music, it had a purpose. Serialism is just dull. An opinion hardly diminishes from my knowledge of it.

And Sam, no I was interested in what people thought. I didn't think any of it was that intensive.

OT: I like minor keys

Now I like this. but not this.
I think that when you can't tell what they're trying to do is when it's gone too far.

In the works of Schoenberg/Webern, it doesn't sound very pretty, but you can understand it. But with some of the really weird Avant-Garde pieces, where you try to work out what they're doing, and just don't see any point, I don't like calling it music.
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
None of the above. Extreme chromaticism, bordering on atonality (and possibly having a few atonal passages), but not actually being atonal.

I do love atonal music, though. And modal stuff like Gregorian chant and organum is something I think everyone should check out.
Quote by BenRaah
TS, have you ever heard this ?

I lurve Webern. <3

The other two were amazing as well. Certainly qualifies as music.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel

Before I clicked those links, I knew it would Webern, Schoenberg and Berg

I'm a traditionalist, my favourite composers are Debussy, Beethoven and Dvorak. A lot of modern music just doesn't blow me away

Some I really like, like kontacte and other Stockhausen works, but meh to most of it. I like this as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZazYFchLRI
Quote by devourke
i amfraid of turtles

This thread is now about turtles and how you feel about them
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by TimTheWizard
Mars Volta is lush and they have loads of atonal shizzle goin on as well as tonal (whatever that all means, you prob mean dissonance)...

so I guess both, just listen to whatever ****s your ear pussies the best brah

That's because Omar understands two things. Minor keys written in 6/8 and editing noise together because he doesn't know how to end passages.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Nov 23, 2011,
There was a modern artist who tied a dog up in an art exhibit and left it there to starve to death. That was his 'piece'. This is how I feel about most serialism and other 'modern' music.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Holy Katana
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yztoaNakKok

It doesn't really make any sense at all unless you watch the graphic score. Xenakis loved him some graphic notation.

Holy shit, leave a warning on this to tell people not to click on it.

For God's sake.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Quote by StewieSwan
There was a modern artist who tied a dog up in an art exhibit and left it there to starve to death. That was his 'piece'. This is how I feel about most serialism and other 'modern' music.

I'm aware of transgressive art, but, uh, source please? I find it incredibly difficult to believe that would be allowed, unless it happened in like the '30s or something when they didn't give a shit about animals.
I put down atonality because I like to mix things up for a sort of 'ambiguous' sound. Otherwise I would have voted minor (especially if it includes harmonic minor etc...)
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Any of it, play whatever sounds good. You can use chromatic shit in rock music easy anyway http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMDGO8RjJEg

Then things like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhgKz5shMqM
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Nov 23, 2011,
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Holy shit, leave a warning on this to tell people not to click on it.

For God's sake.

It could be worse; I could have linked to Merzbow or Whitehouse.
Quote by WhiskeyFace
Had to study this for my last school year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eUBCBjunrc

I like this. A lot. I don't see why these people are bitching.

After clicking that link I had to hug my dog and give him the rest of my sandwich.
Quote by vintage x metal

'Once you take yourself too seriously the art will suffer.' - Maynard James Keenan.
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

My Gear: (That I actually use)

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Quote by MonsterOfRock
'Once you take yourself too seriously the art will suffer.' - Maynard James Keenan.

That explains it.
Quote by vintage x metal

More importantly, why does someone need to pay a couple kids to catch a starving dog?

I know a fellow who did a similar thing with some bugs he caught. Either the people could push a button to smash the bugs, or they could starve to death. That guy is a prick.

'Course, I've been watching bug fights all week...
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by StewieSwan

...Okay. Dude's a massive dick of the highest echelon, although I can sort of see what the work might mean.

But that meaning is basically destroyed by the fact that he himself did nothing to help the dog. Whether or not anyone else did is sort of moot when he didn't do anything himself.

I think it's taking it a too far to consider that single example as a microcosm of contemporary art, though. I agree that that particular work is more or less impossible to defend, but what exactly does that have to do with serialism, exactly? Serialism isn't shock art. It's also dead as a musical movement, so practically nobody writes serialist compositions anymore.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Nov 23, 2011,
Page 1 of 2