This is the email I sent to USC:

I have completed the CommonApp and nearly all of the Supplement, but I haven't completed the supplement yet. I really would like to take some music theory classes and electric bass performance classes at USC, but I'm not sure if I want to, or would be able to, double major in it quite yet.
I am self-taught as well and have never had formal lessons. Should I, and am I eligible, to apply to the Thornton School of Music through the CommonApp Supplement even though I've never had lessons or learned any distinguished classical songs or solos to put on a Repertoire? I want to apply for merit scholarships either way, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for music school or not yet.
I only have a couple more questions. How many years does it take (on average) to graduate with a B.A. in Performance and would I be able to apply to the music school after my freshman year and graduate with two degrees in four years?
Thank you for your time.

Can anyone here at UG help me out?
Quote by element4433
Be subtle with it. Don't like molest him.

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.
Okay, your first, very specific questions should be directed towards the universities in question. As for your later questions, most people graduate with a performance degree in 4-5 years (you can usually do it in 4, but lots stretch it to 5). Graduating with a double major is difficult to do in 4 years no matter what your subjects are, but it is possible.

EDIT: Ohhh, this is an e-mail you've already sent, I see. Well then, disregard the first bit, but again there's not really anyone here that can help unless they went to USC specifically.
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at Nov 23, 2011,
What about for my music resume and repertoire? I play the bass guitar and tuba, but I don't really know if I want to do stuff with the tuba at college outside of marching band. I've done some stuff with the tuba, but when it comes to bass I only know contemporary music. Do I include my tuba accomplishments and songs on my resume and repertoire even if I'm just applying for performance in bass?
Quote by element4433

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.
I would. That shows you have some understanding of music, and that you can read music. It will show them your not some jack off who reads tab, and has no idea what a key is.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
The problem is that while I know how to play music when the key signature is written on the sheet music for me, I can't name all of the notes in a given key off the top of my head
Quote by element4433

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
Well, what I'm saying is, its better to show them you have experience rather then none
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Thanks for all of the help. Now how do I write a music resume and a repertoire? What do I put on each? I don't know any classical or jazz pieces for bass guitar
Quote by element4433

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221