Page 1 of 2
Some people seem to feel pretty strongly about this, while some, typically those who aren't musicians, seem to just shrug it off. What I'm referring to is an artist buying a song from a songwriter, and then basically taking credit for the song. For example, Max Martin wrote Brittany Spears' Hit Me Baby One More Time, Oops I Did it Again and a ton of her other songs, Katy Perry's California Girls, Teenage Dreams, I Kissed a Girl, Hot and Cold and several others, and an ungodly amount of other songs, including many hits, for a variety of "artists." The full list can be found here.

For some reason, this really bothers me. I mean, if someone wants to become known as an artist, they can just go out and buy a song, then sing it while someone else plays the instruments. It's not just pop music either; for example, Bon Jovi is on that list above a couple times, and that's just the list for songs written by that one person.

What do you think of this? Does it bother you?
that's the music business for you. get over it.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
That's how pop music's been for quite a while
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
No not really. I listen to the music I do because I like the sound of it, not because I debated the legitimacy of the talent and effort involved and decided whether it was worth my precious seconds to listen to.
I'm not that much of a snob.

They won't be as high up on my list of respected artists, but it doesn't bother me, no.
It kinda does suck. They can't be bothered writing their own songs so they take other peoples.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Or have you considered that a lot of the original writers don't want to become famous, or be in the spotlight? If you did a little digging, you'd be amazed at the amount of songwriters there are out there that don't actually want to be pop star famous.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Quote by Niiko
Or have you considered that a lot of the original writers don't want to become famous, or be in the spotlight? If you did a little digging, you'd be amazed at the amount of songwriters there are out there that don't actually want to be pop star famous.
It still doesn't make sense that whoever bought and sang it receives credit for it. I mean, there's almost always thousands of people out there who could sing or play the song as well, if not better; it's really the person who wrote it that's the artist. If they wanted to remain unknown, they could release it under a pseudonym.
Last edited by herby190 at Nov 23, 2011,
I prefer to buy albums. Sometimes iTunes gives you a discount if you buy the whole album.
Quote by AgainstYou
I prefer to buy albums. Sometimes iTunes gives you a discount if you buy the whole album.
Not what the thread is on, brokowski. Skim the OP, maybe?
Quote by herby190
It still doesn't make sense that whoever bought and sang it receives credit for it. I mean, there's almost always thousands of people out there who could sing or play the song as well, if not better; it's really the person who wrote it that's the artist. If they wanted to remain unknown, they could release it under a pseudonym.

People care about the performer, that's why they get credit for it.
Quote by AgainstYou

Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
lol who cares the artists are the ones that perform it and look damn good while doing so, they're the ones that deserve most of the credit
Quote by herby190
It still doesn't make sense that whoever bought and sang it receives credit for it. I mean, there's almost always thousands of people out there who could sing or play the song as well, if not better; it's really the person who wrote it that's the artist.

50.000 words does not a book make. Writing is one thing; performing, playing and interpreting the music is just as big a part as writing it.

And by current definitions everyone is an artist. Take of that what you will.
Quote by herby190
Not what the thread is on, brokowski. Skim the OP, maybe?

What's with the hostile sarcasm? Does downloading music make you cooler than those of us who support the artist? You're a thief.
I usually figure out who the songwriter of the song is if I really like it. For example, I would bet that 1 out of 100 people (if that good a ratio) would not know that it was Jim Steinman who wrote all of the Bat Out of Hell material for Meat Loaf. Of course when I listen to anything off that album, I think about Meat Loaf's voice, and the amazing song writing by Jim Steinman. Also, some of the stuff on Cream's Disraeli Gears is written by someone else. But I still love it. I think that songwriters aren't mentioned enough in production of a song, but as long as they get want they want (commission) then I'm fine.
Quote by AgainstYou
What's with the hostile sarcasm? Does downloading music make you cooler than those of us who support the artist? You're a thief.
...I can't tell if you're trolling, or just really determined not to read the OP.
Quote by herby190

It makes sense if you draft up a contract or are employed by a label. You still get the original songwriting credits (Albeit, not always shown on the personnel listing), and a share of sales and a share in whatever else is made from it. And a lot of the time, you're a songwriter who offers and/or sells your music to another artist or label. Or in a lot of other cases, a label or an artist commissions you to write songs or take part in the song writing process.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Quote by Våd Hamster
50.000 words does not a book make. Writing is one thing; performing, playing and interpreting the music is just as big a part as writing it.

And by current definitions everyone is an artist. Take of that what you will.
I guess that kinda depends. In some cases, the artist will make it unique. In others, it'll sound like something that could have been done by literally anybody. Then again, maybe I'm just being an elitest as a result of being forced to listen to Z100 on the bus every ****ing morning.
Quote by AgainstYou

Either you're a troll, or you're not reading the OP, at all. TS is asking about songwriters and artists, not the concept of how you get music. Hope that clears things up.
I don't give many fucks. Obviously I'll think higher of them if they wrote and/or produced their music as well, but it's not a big deal. Lots of people forget about virtually every classical musician doing this as well.

Quote by DimebagLivesOn
That's how pop music's been for quite a while

How it's always been, you mean.
Quote by herby190
I guess that kinda depends. In some cases, the artist will make it unique. In others, it'll sound like something that could have been done by literally anybody. Then again, maybe I'm just being an elitest as a result of being forced to listen to Z100 on the bus every ****ing morning.

It's funny, I think the day the word 'elitist' became a negative thing is the same day art died.

Actually it was long before that, but it sounds more profound that way
Quote by Våd Hamster
It's funny, I think the day the word 'elitist' became a negative thing is the same day art died.

Actually it was long before that, but it sounds more profound that way
Well, it's become associated less with people who have high standards, and more with people who consider everything other than what they like to be shit.
Quote by Våd Hamster
It's like sex: some do it for passion, some for money.

Quoted to bring attention to this genius post. It actually makes perfect sense.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Quote by herby190
Well, it's become associated less with people who have high standards, and more with people who consider everything other than what they like to be shit.

Another good word lost to us because uneducated fucks misuse proper correlation.
Quote by herby190
...I can't tell if you're trolling, or just really determined not to read the OP.

Trolololol. Unfortunately, I think I was too obvious so everyone saw through it.

OT: The goal is to make good songs (not really, the goal is to make songs that sell well) and if some people can sing but not write, or vice versa, then why shouldn't they be allowed to 'team up'?
I dont care. My band writes our own shit and we dont plan on making it to the top.

We just have fun
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
This has been going on forever. Frank Sinatra, Elvis, etc. all had their songs written for them. Oh, and Bon Jovi is pop music.
I agree. It's how pop has always been though. Pop is mainly about money. I believe it's Desmond Childs who writes some of Bon Jovi's songs, is it not? Also, Jim Stienman is the man behind nearly all of Meatloaf's greatest hits. Meatloaf just sings them.
Frank Sinatra also did this. That is why he was trash.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by StewieSwan
Do you realize how stupid you look right now?

Quote by StewieSwan
The difference, though, is that classical musicians always make sure to give the proper credits. The composers name is always displayed on the album cover, or mentioned before they play it live.

Yeah that's a good point.
Quote by AgainstYou

Nobody owns music, man. It belongs to all of us.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
I'm pretty sure this Max Martin guy was hired to write those songs and has no problem with the "artists" taking credit. In cases like that I have no problem with it. However when someone totally rips the writer off it is an issue.
I don't necessarily have a problem with it, but when they go around calling themselves artists is when I'd say they crossed the line. (referring to those who perform these songs)
NOT EASILY LED, EASILY BANNED.
I don't think Britney Spears used her own pocket money to buy that song. It doesn't work like that.

Unless you're Rebecca Black and you have rich parents.
Quote by Butt Rayge
I don't think Britney Spears used her own pocket money to buy that song. It doesn't work like that.

Unless you're Rebecca Black and you have rich parents.
I'm aware that her label or someone associated with her probably bought it for her, but that isn't the point. The point is that her and others are famous for songs that they had no part in writing.

Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
I believe it's Desmond Childs who writes some of Bon Jovi's songs, is it not?
I just saw that Complicated and It's My Life were written by Max Martin; I don't know where the rest of his material comes from.
Last edited by herby190 at Nov 24, 2011,
It doesn't really matter to me, I don't pay much attention to Katy Perry & Britney Spears. If people wanna pay lots of money to hear them sing songs they didn't write, whatever, good for them. I'm not gonna waste my time & energy fretting about it when I could be writing songs or listening to Can instead.
Page 1 of 2