A few days ago I made a thread asking for advice on building an sg, since then I've thought about it a lot and I've decided to build a strat instead since it's so easy to find quality parts for them at a good price. I'm thinking about getting a pre-wired David Gilmour EMG pickguard since I've heard the pickups have a nice clear sound that makes it easy to hear each string and since I already have a tele with passive single coils. Anyway, I'm kind of curious if the active pickups could give me that nice in between quack sound that strats are known for. If they can't do that I guess I'll just look for some clear, low output passives but if they can then I'm almost certain I'll buy the actives.
Quote by monwobobbo
EMG's aren't really good for quack.

+1

David Gilmour uses EMG's because of his crazy signal path.
Exactly. He uses them live to deal with stage noise and a lot of cable and pedals. I don't think he's ever used them in the studio.
I have an EMG SA in one of my guitars, I like it. You are right about note definition, they are crystal clear and amazingly noiseless for a single coil. Don't know if I'd call it quack but they are very clear and bell-like. Gilmour started using them after Roger Waters left the band. Pretty much every Floyd recording after The Final Cut is an EMG SA.
Find a guitar in a shop that's already fitted with them and try it for yourself through an amp like you have. They have the sort of sound that you either love or hate. You'll know if you like them in the first few minutes of playing with them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thought his studio strats all had the stock pickups. Oops. I'm not much of a post-Floyd Gilmour expert.

They are nice pickups, just not steretypical strat sounding. If they sell them without the loaded pickguard, that's a better choice economically. Installing your own pickups is easy.
He used the red strat in later recordings, that's his EMG loaded guitar. "Blackie" is his passive guitar. Post Waters is the red one, with Waters it was Blackie. He's gone back to using Blackie these days mostly.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I took a look at Gilmourish and it looks like his red Strat was fitted with the EMG's sometime between his second solo record (after Water's departure from Floyd) and their next album.
So I guess it seems like EMGs are probably not what I'm looking for. Should I try to get the lowest output pickups possible? What about the pickups gives them that quack sound?
The tone on "Sultans of Swing" by the Dire Straits is probably the best example I can think of right now of what I'm looking for. I basically just want that classic inbetween sound that strats are known for.

Edit: I just found out that Mark Knopfler also used EMGs so I guess I'm getting the EMGs.
Last edited by fuzzpedal at Nov 24, 2011,