Don't you hate it when you change a string and its all tightened and everything and when you cut the excess off it's too short? i did a bend and it came out of the little hole. I was wondering if there's a way to still make use of the string you have left by like splicing on new string...etc
Quote by c-rob6422
Don't you hate it when you change a string and its all tightened and everything and when you cut the excess off it's too short? i did a bend and it came out of the little hole. I was wondering if there's a way to still make use of the string you have left by like splicing on new string...etc

Yeah right, just weld them...
You're doing it wrong. You have to give the string enough slack so that it wraps around the post a few times before it tightens so that it doesn't come loose out of the tuner
GEAR
Squier Strat

Custom Audio Electronics MC404 CAE Wah
MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss RC-3 Looper

Marshall JVM 205C
Quote by hawk5211
Yeah right, just weld them...

you sir, are brilliant! no longer will i have to buy a new string when i break one!!

but in all seriousness, i've not broken a string in 8 years or so, nor have i ever had this problem. sounds to me like you're not stringing your instrument correctly. wind it up a few times making sure the string locks itself (above then below winding technique), and cut the excess after its done.
Youre restringing your guitar wrong. And ive seen people "fix" a broken high e string before. Hell ive done it myself. As long as its broken passed the nut. Why bother though? Its a temporary fix and its ghetto. Strings are cheap. Do it right and you wont have to make threads like this. If that venture fails, go out and buy a new set
I usually put a string on then pull it through the tuner and put a little bit of tension on it with my hand. Then depending on the string I leave about 6 inches past the tuner for the high E and and maybe 4-5 for the low E. After that I pull about an inch through the tuner and bend it around the peg and back around the string. Then I keep a little tension on the string with one hand and wind it with the other so it doesn't twist around above the tuner and ruin the string. It's better to not cut enough off than to cut too much off.
Last edited by FearMyLightning at Nov 23, 2011,
Quote by c-rob6422

Learn to string your guitar
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean