I just got a brand new Hohner HW300. I love the tone on this guitar, for the price at least!!

I threw some Dean Markley Blue Steel 12-54s on theres, and tuned it to C standard. I'm in a metal band that uses this tuning, and we want to have some acoustic intros.

I'm getting some fret buzz, so I assume to raise the action I will have to replace the white bridge piece with a taller one. Do they come out or what? I will probably take it to a luthier to get that done, but just wondering if it is possible. I suppose I could adjust the truss rod too to raise the action slightly, but I've heard that is not what the truss rod is for of course.

Is it possible to set up this guitar so that it will work in C standard, D standard, and E standard tunings? At the worst, I could just use a capo.

Also, this only has one peg for a strap, what is the style of strap called where you have to tie it below the nut? What is a good one?

Also, can anyone recommend a good acoustic pickup?

Thanks!!
Quote by kerryhall
I just got a brand new Hohner HW300. I love the tone on this guitar, for the price at least!!....[ ]....

I'm getting some fret buzz, so I assume to raise the action I will have to replace the white bridge piece with a taller one. Do they come out or what? I will probably take it to a luthier to get that done, but just wondering if it is possible. I suppose I could adjust the truss rod too to raise the action slightly, but I've heard that is not what the truss rod is for of course.
To raise the action you can place plastic shims under "the white bridge piece", or "saddle" as it prefers to be called.

You could release a tiny, tiny bit of tension from the truss rod, if you determine that there isn't enough "relief" in the neck at the 7th fret. You fret E-6 at the 1st and 12th frets simultaneously, and measure string clearance at the 7th fret. It should be maybe .010 in an acoustics.

When I say "tiny" with respect to the truss rod, I mean a 1/4 of a turn, not too much more.

Quote by kerryhall
Is it possible to set up this guitar so that it will work in C standard, D standard, and E standard tunings? At the worst, I could just use a capo.
Unless you plan on buying 3 guitars, or tuning up and down all day, a capo isn't really the end of the world now is it?

Quote by kerryhall
IAlso, this only has one peg for a strap, what is the style of strap called where you have to tie it below the nut? What is a good one?
Any strap you like is a good one. You can either have a qualified luthier install a strap button in the heel of the neck, (yes this does require drilling a hole), or go to a fabric store and get some heavy black nylon cord to tie the strap above the top nut. Guitar straps used to come with these cords, but now....dunno..?

Quote by kerryhall
IAlso, can anyone recommend a good acoustic pickup?

Thanks!!
This predicates itself on whether you want the full acoustic sound of an under saddle transducer, or will accept the more hybrid electric sound of a magnetic sound hole pickup. Seynour Duncan and Dean Markley both make these in single and double coil humbucking designs. Both brands are well thought of.

If we're talking under saddle types, my knowledge is limited. Perhaps someone else can offer help with these. I do know they're a bunch more money
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 23, 2011,
Sorry I should have replied with a thank you. Thank you!!

I actually can't use a capo, because the songs I am using go all over the fretboard, up to the 15th fret, and my acoustic guitar is not a cutaway. It's been frustrating haha.

Pick the strings, pick the action, set the nut, set the saddle, set the action, do whatever you have to do, I don't mind tuning, as long as my guitar can be used in C standard through E standard. Is is possible to set up a guitar for this?

Interesting on the pickup thing. I love the tone of an acoustic, especially the attack. Maybe I would be better suited for an under the saddle pickup. Maybe I can get my guitar set up for one, including having a jack installed, and at the same time have the luthier set up my guitar, as well as install another peg for a strap.

Also, is there a locking nut I can get for acoustic, or at least a nut that gives more resistance to tuning? My guitar seems to go out of tuning pretty fast haha.

Thanks again!
hmm... seems as though you bought one hastily. rather than go thru all of that retuning and refining i probably woulda just picked up a D scale or as its commonly called a baritone guitar. 2 extra frets make it much easier to play and still be able to capo to C or E. and they make 'em elec/acoust with cutaways ! would have saved a lot of trial and error and costly trips to the shop.
I liked the tone of the HW300 the best out of all the sub $500 acoustics I tried. It's ok though, I haven't actually spent any money yet haha.

Mainly: Is it possible to have a guitar that can handle C through E standard tuning?

I could always get two acoustics, but just curious about the question above.
Quote by kerryhall
I just got a brand new Hohner HW300. I love the tone on this guitar, for the price at least!!

I threw some Dean Markley Blue Steel 12-54s on theres, and tuned it to C standard. I'm in a metal band that uses this tuning, and we want to have some acoustic intros
Quote by kerryhall
I liked the tone of the HW300 the best out of all the sub $500 acoustics I tried. It's ok though, I haven't actually spent any money yet haha.

Mainly: Is it possible to have a guitar that can handle C through E standard tuning?

I could always get two acoustics, but just curious about the question above.

Quote by stepchildusmc
hmm... seems as though you bought one hastily. rather than go thru all of that retuning and refining i probably woulda just picked up a D scale or as its commonly called a baritone guitar. 2 extra frets make it much easier to play and still be able to capo to C or E. and they make 'em elec/acoust with cutaways ! would have saved a lot of trial and error and costly trips to the shop.
Do you want to continue to field questions about an imaginary guitar? Because I don't!
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 7, 2012,