A fresh pack of strings only lasts about 3 days for me. I've tried wiping them down with Fast Fret, but that didnt really remove any grime; just made them really slick. How do you guys keep them clean?
3 DAYS?? What are you doing to those things? Mine last for months, I'm a poor kid, so I make my strings last forever (killer on my tone, but it's all home practice, so it's unimportant to me at this time). Matter of fact, I just broke a string on my Ibanez, when I get home in a few days I'll replace it, but I noticed it's rusted almost halfway down the string. My B.C. Rich isn't nearly that bad and those strings are nearly 2 months old. I don't clean them or anything, you're just doing something wrong.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
^I'm not breaking them in 3 days. They just get super dirty, and first 3 strings literally turn black from all my finger sweat.
Depends how sweaty your hands are I guess. I can keep mine for a month, maybe even longer depending on how much I play...
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
i just wipe them down after every session i use them. seems to last me longer
Agile Septor Elite 727
Peavey 6505+
I change my strings once every 2-4 months.
Theres no way in hell your strings are bad after 3 days unless you have the oiliest hands or a huge lack of hygene or keep your guitar stored in the bathroom or in very high humidity.

Anyways all I do is I wash my hands before playing, and after Im done I wipe the strings and neck down with a dry washcloth.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Ive been through almost every brand and i get a week from mine at best. Keep your guitar in a case with some silica gel packs, clean the strings after each session. If you have acid sweat like me, you just gotta live with it = )
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
Quote by themelodicdeathshow
I change my strings once every 2-4 months.
Theres no way in hell your strings are bad after 3 days unless you have the oiliest hands or a huge lack of hygene or keep your guitar stored in the bathroom or in very high humidity.

Anyways all I do is I wash my hands before playing, and after Im done I wipe the strings and neck down with a dry washcloth.

Easy, smartass ..

I guess i'll try washing my hands before i play.
It sounds crazy, but when you play 5+ hours a day, it doesnt take long before your strings begin to get dirty.
Strings are supposed to turn black. That’s the steel oxidizing from contact with chemicals in the air. Depending on where you live and which strings you use this can take six hours or six weeks. There is nothing you can do about it, but as long as the strings play fine you don’t have to worry.
Quote by StratPlayer15
Easy, smartass ..

I guess i'll try washing my hands before i play.
It sounds crazy, but when you play 5+ hours a day, it doesnt take long before your strings begin to get dirty.

I used to play up to 8 hours a day when I got clean(off drugs) thats all I did.
Now I play about 2 hours a day and still only change my strings every 2-4 months.
And I wasnt being a smartass I stated possible reasons for the cause of your problem

EDIT- You should awlays wash your hands before playing and wipe the strings and neck down after use even in between use with a dry cloth or rag no paper towels itll scratch the finish.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by themelodicdeathshow at Nov 23, 2011,
I used to play up to 8 hours a day when I got clean(off drugs) thats all I did.
Now I play about 2 hours a day and still only change my strings every 2-4 months.
And I wasnt being a smartass I stated possible reasons for the cause of your problem

Well surely you didnt think someone would store a guitar in their bathroom?
Quote by jpnyc
Strings are supposed to turn black. That’s the steel oxidizing from contact with chemicals in the air. Depending on where you live and which strings you use this can take six hours or six weeks. There is nothing you can do about it, but as long as the strings play fine you don’t have to worry.

Which brand do you use that lasts six weeks without oxidizing?
Quote by StratPlayer15
Well surely you didnt think someone would store a guitar in their bathroom?

Ive seen weirder shit before
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
I don't clean mine at all and i've had em on for about a year now. They are as slick as they were on day one. I use Elixirs with a webbing and they never get dirty or grime up. They cost about $15, but its better than paying $7 for strings every 3 or 4 months.
I wash my hands before I play. and i Change my strings every other month or so no matter what.
My sig? Nice.
Keep your dirty strings. Who gives a **** bwo. I play bass and I havent changed my strings in about two years. Idgaf. I'm just that cool bwo. Come at me bwo come at me
NO NO NO NO NOTORIOUS
When touring, I change them about once a day. When not, I just let them get dirty.
I don't wipe mine down at all, and they last months easily.
Sounds like you've got some crazy acidity in your fingers, my friends the same way. He can't use anything but Elixirs because they just rust so quick.
I change them.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Deathro
I don't clean mine at all and i've had em on for about a year now. They are as slick as they were on day one. I use Elixirs with a webbing and they never get dirty or grime up. They cost about $15, but its better than paying $7 for strings every 3 or 4 months.

I personally hate the feel of elixirs.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Just because they turn gray or dark doesn't necessarily mean they've lost all their tone. Maybe a bit, but that's to be expected. Color of the strings is not necessarily an indicator of the tone

Wash your hands well and wipe down with a clean microfiber cloth afterwards.

I live in a tropical environment with almost +90% humidity, so things corrode fast here. I can literally change a set of strings and have one of the plain strings go orange after a few hours of band practice, but they still sound good.

Maybe try some DR coated strings, like silver in color or something
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
I don't do anything either. No matter how much or how little I play, general lifespan of strings is about a month for me.

Although I do wash my hands before I play. Tends to keep things better for longer.
Gear
Taylor 214CE
PRS SE 245, PRS Tremonti Custom
Carvin V3 short stack
Pedals
AMT R2|Morley Mark Tremonti Wah|Mojo Hand Rook|MXR Black Label Chorus|Source Audio EQ|TC-E Flashback, Hall of Fame & Vortex|VFE Enterprise|Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Just keep a rag handy and periodically wipe your hands on it to keep the sweat down. When you are finished playing just wipe the strings down with a rag. And wash your godamn hands occasionally. Soap isn't poisonous.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i just smother them in GHS fast fret and wipe them down top and bottom with a dry cloth... but not the ones provided with GHS fast-fret because those leave fluff all over the strings.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Ive seen weirder shit before

I keep a 3/4 scale strat next to my toilet

HEY TS. WASH YO DAYM HANDS BEFORE AND AFTER PLAYING, WIPE THE GUITAR BEFORE PLAYING, WIPE IT AFTERWORDS AS WELL, WITH JUST A DRY CLOTH.

LOOK UP CLEANING MATERIALS FOR STRINGS, TONS OF SH|T

Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Play with clean hands and wipe down your strings after playing. There's no way your strings should go only 3 days without becoming rusty or grimy.
Like already said by others above. Its all about cleanliness.

I wash my hands properly everytime before I practice / play.
I keep a cloth towel and thoroughly wipe down the strings after I'm done.
If its warm / humid I also wipe my hands with a different cloth periodically while playing.

My strings don't begin to really darken for about 2 - 3 weeks after new. The strings themselves last about 6 - 8 weeks and I practice most evenings.
Quote by Guitarbaddie
I keep a 3/4 scale strat next to my toilet

Does the guitar smell bad?
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
I used Chrome Frets... you would not believe the gunk that comes off... and they sound like new and feel slick. They keep their crispness longer with this product.
I have no idea if people have said this or not, but wash your hands or use hand sanitizer or something before you play to get off the grime. You can also get elixir strings. They have a special coating on them and last 3.5X longer. I use them on all my guitars and love 'em to death!
2010 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2011 PRS SE Santana limited edition of 25
2007 Ibanez SZ520QM-VCB
2009 Washburn Renegade WM23
Vox 20W Valvetronix

Gonna disagree with all the 'wash your hands and your strings won't rust' replies here, I wash my hands so often some would say it's OCD, and a pack of strings will only last me a week tops before they start going cruddy, and yes I do wipe down my guitar every time I play it. Some people have naturally corrosive sweat. If I'm playing a gig, I'll put a new set on beforehand and bin em afterwards cus the heat of the stagelights makes me sweat so much it wrecks the strings in one night. I don't buy guitars with gold-plated hardware for the same reason, the last one I had lost it's plating VERY quickly lol.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Quote by Dr Sixstring
Does the guitar smell bad?

Smells like a million bux!

...dick
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90