So my brother barely uses his old Ibanez RG170 and the place I work at had a drunk guy bring back an Ibanez RGD320 that had been smashed to bits but the neck was in perfect order, so I nicked it and decided to do up his old guitar.

Here's a check list of things I need to do, I'll update regularly with photos!

Checklist

-Disassemble guitar
-Strip back paint
-Prime wood
-Undercoat guitar in black
-Swirl finish
-Clear coat
-Attach new hardware
-Wire in electronics
-Restring and tune to Drop B
-Done

Order List

-New pickups (to be decided)
-New machine heads
-New bridge
-New pots
-New switch

I've decided to make it a ridikidonky drop tune guitar. I still need to decide what colours to use for the swirl finish. I'm thinking blue, red and orange right now but any suggestions will be appreciated.

Also need some help deciding what pickups for drop tuning. I'm ordering a lot of my parts from guitar fetish and thinking I might just get pickups from there as they seem to get good reviews. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Will keep updating my progress, keep tuned!
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Last edited by Eppicurt at Nov 24, 2011,
I looked into swirling extensively and just FYI Herc Fede who's widely known as one of the best at doing swirls primes in a white coat no matter the colour/s going on top. IIRC Darren at ATD and Alan from OOTS do the same thing.

Just something to think about, I ended up not doing the swirl just because it's a huge pain in the ass.
Quote by Mehtabb
I looked into swirling extensively and just FYI Herc Fede who's widely known as one of the best at doing swirls primes in a white coat no matter the colour/s going on top. IIRC Darren at ATD and Alan from OOTS do the same thing.

Just something to think about, I ended up not doing the swirl just because it's a huge pain in the ass.

I was tossing up whether or not to have it as a white undercoat. I'll be priming it regardless so there's no water damage when I dip it in, and I was thinking of having it black swirl on a white body, It'd also match the headstock too I guess
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Having anything from Ibanez is high quality, so you dont need to wory about the guitar parts.
Dont forget you will need to put on a locking bridge if you intend to use the string locks at the nut
Quote by vlada92
Having anything from Ibanez is high quality, so you dont need to wory about the guitar parts.

This is comical and completely untrue.
Quote by vlada92

lol wut?
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Life is indeed a broken image.

Last.fm
PSN: BlindNematode
Quote by sic6505+
Dont forget you will need to put on a locking bridge if you intend to use the string locks at the nut

Never said I was going to put a locking nut on?

I'm hard tailing it, not a fan of floating bridges

Quote by vlada92

Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore

Bam. Today i'm sanding it back and priming the timber and letting it dry overnight before I do the first coat of white.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore

Only took a day...
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
Never said I was going to put a locking nut on?

The locking nut is already on the other neck, are you planning on just leaving it unlocked?
Quote by sic6505+
The locking nut is already on the other neck, are you planning on just leaving it unlocked?

Oh ya...forgot about that

I'm hardtailing it so no need for locking
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
I've blocked the edge 3 on my RG370 too but I use the locking system and fine tuners a bit like the fixed edge bridge on the Mick Thomson sig.

Also running mine in c#/drop b with a Dimebucker and a Duncan 57. Most people bash the Dimebucker but I found that it give a bit of character to an otherwise flat sounding guitar and the combination of tuning that low and having quite a dark pedal/amp setup eliminates most of the harsh treble people complain about.
I haven't used one myself, but the Dimarzio D-Sonic is supposed to be really good for drop tunings. I've had good results with the Dirty Fingers in drop B, although some people aren't fans of this pup. Of course there's also the ever popular BKP Aftermath, although I've always been interested in hearing their Warpig and Nailbomb models.
I'm thinking I might save a bit more and grab some dimarizios or BKP...I might keep this actually

I'm also thinking of just keeping it the natural wood, varnishing it and clear coating looks pretty awesome to me
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore