Hi,

Lately I've been practising Metal and I had a little question. If I palm mute and alternate pick the low E, is the lower part of my thumb supposed to be resting on the body of my guitar? Just wanted to know if I'm not learning myself something wrong :P
Quote by JoriFGP
Hi,

Lately I've been practising Metal and I had a little question. If I palm mute and alternate pick the low E, is the lower part of my thumb supposed to be resting on the body of my guitar? Just wanted to know if I'm not learning myself something wrong :P

IF u alternate low E like 00000000 then u should mute with ur left hand fingers other strings, and personally my thumb is over the neck I think it doesn't matter.
In the eye of the tornado , blow me away!
Should your thumb touch the body?
I'm no expert, but I'd say no. I palm mute with the fleshy part between my pinky and my wrist. That's the only part of my hand that touches the body.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
I hope you all get me right. @Lordpino my palm (the fleshy part between your pinky and wrist) is on the strings and my thumb (the fleshy part of it) rests above the strings, just above the treble pick-up.
Yeah, that's fine. I do the same thing, and it makes muting easier ( for example, when I pick the high E string, my thumb mutes all the lower strings I have to mute ).
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
if by resting you mean lightly touching, then there is no problem.
if by resting you mean anchoring it hard aganst the strings , then relax it.
when it comes to muting you mute with any available surface on both hands ( have the basic guitar principles in mind though)

Have fun
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
I know exactly what you mean - I think some may have misinterpreted what you're saying you do. I know because I used to do it.

When doing palm mutes on the low E string, you're pushing the thumb on your picking hand into the body of the guitar. What you're effectively doing is relying on that pressure (however slight you may think it feels) because it feels like it provides more stability and accuracy when picking the thickest string. And if you have always played like that, then yes, it does provide stability but you only need that stability because you haven't developed the correct technique to not rely on it.

You should work on stopping it, because not only does it add undue tension in your picking hand, but it also has a fairly big impact on the flexibility of your right hand, reducing your range of motion - this will become apparent if you need to quickly change between strings when palm muting.

I've been playing for quite a while now, and I only made the effort to try to stop doing it about a month ago. I'd noticed it before, but I really, really regret not doing anything about it because it's a really hard habit to get out of. When you first try to stop doing it, alt picking a palm muted low E string sounds terrible and feels really hard to do when compared to the old technique. But persevere! I still can't do fast palm muting quite as well as I used to be able to on the low E string, but this is because I've been focusing on fixing other areas of my technique first. BUT my ability to alt pick and palm mute with fast switching between strings has greatly improved.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Last edited by llBlackenedll at Nov 24, 2011,
I might be missing something.

Isn't TS just asking a simple question about palm muting and not muting, anchoring, etc?
Quote by triface
I might be missing something.

Isn't TS just asking a simple question about palm muting and not muting, anchoring, etc?

Yeah they're talking about palm muting, and if it's a problem that their thumb presses into the body of the guitar while doing so.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
@Blackened, that's exactly what I meant. Well, I'll try and work on it =) Thanks