I want to change the bridge pickup on my Epiphone Explorer because after playing my old LP with a Seymour Duncan Invader in it and going back to the Explorers stock pickups, they really arnt that great. Any recommendations?

Since i like my Invader, i was looking into Seymour Duncans again and am looking at the SH-4 JB or the SH-5 Duncan Custom. I want something that captures harmonics well and gives a clear tone across all strings. These look widely popular but feel free to suggest me others I want to keep it passive as i dont want to have the hassle of putting a battery behind the pickup
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
The Invader is doesn't really get along with dark toned woods like mahogany from what I've known, it becomes too boomy and scooped when you put an Invader in a mahogany guitar, and if you downtune, well it will be really mushy.

The SH5 Custom is an awesome pickup, it would definitely fit your guitar well, I think it's a bit middy but that can be compensated with the eq on your pedal or your amplifier anyways. And it does the harmonics VERY well.

If you're going to downtune, and play a lot of modern metal, the SH6 Duncan Distortion fits really well for this purpose, stays articulate, though you gotta use it a bit lowered since its ceramic magnet makes it have very high output. A little bit of screwing around with polepieces and I love it in my Schecter C-1 Exotic, but I usually tune to C, B, A# or A, and it's very articulate. It's a bit trebly when used in standard tuning, but that would fit if you're going to play rock-out-with-your-****-out 80's traditional/glam metal with your guitar going into a Marshall alltube stack.

You could also check Bareknuckle Pickups if you have a good amount of money, they have LOADS of pickups for loads of genres and guitar types, and the forums over there are swarming with awesome people that'll help you pick out your own pickup. I was planning on buying a Warpig or a Painkiller, or maybe a Holy Diver, but the customs over here have a 150$ limit, so i'm pretty much hopeless.

On the other hand, I won't really be able to comment on the active pups side, since I have very limited experience with them, and I'm not really fond of them, but I've heard that the SD Blackouts and EMG-X's are pretty good, but won't really suit you again if you're going for vintage metal.
*chugga chugga chuggity chug chug chug*
I've heard a lot of good stuff about Bareknuckle Pickups but I have no experience with them myself.

From my own experience, and about your need for good harmonics, I would say that DiMarzio Evolution pickups could be something for you. It's a special feeling, being able to get good pick harmonics through the neck pickup...
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
Quote by Kuntekin
The Invader is doesn't really get along with dark toned woods like mahogany from what I've known, it becomes too boomy and scooped when you put an Invader in a mahogany guitar, and if you downtune, well it will be really mushy.

The SH5 Custom is an awesome pickup, it would definitely fit your guitar well, I think it's a bit middy but that can be compensated with the eq on your pedal or your amplifier anyways. And it does the harmonics VERY well.

If you're going to downtune, and play a lot of modern metal, the SH6 Duncan Distortion fits really well for this purpose, stays articulate, though you gotta use it a bit lowered since its ceramic magnet makes it have very high output. A little bit of screwing around with polepieces and I love it in my Schecter C-1 Exotic, but I usually tune to C, B, A# or A, and it's very articulate. It's a bit trebly when used in standard tuning, but that would fit if you're going to play rock-out-with-your-****-out 80's traditional/glam metal with your guitar going into a Marshall alltube stack.

You could also check Bareknuckle Pickups if you have a good amount of money, they have LOADS of pickups for loads of genres and guitar types, and the forums over there are swarming with awesome people that'll help you pick out your own pickup. I was planning on buying a Warpig or a Painkiller, or maybe a Holy Diver, but the customs over here have a 150$ limit, so i'm pretty much hopeless.

On the other hand, I won't really be able to comment on the active pups side, since I have very limited experience with them, and I'm not really fond of them, but I've heard that the SD Blackouts and EMG-X's are pretty good, but won't really suit you again if you're going for vintage metal.

Thanks man my Explorer is normally in D Standard and drop C so they sound good Il have a look into the Bareknuckles but due to the price, I may leave them. The SD's sound really good though from what your saying. Sound perfect for my style

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Seymour Duncan SH-13, a.k.a. "The Dimebucker" can anything catch harmonics better than that? I don't think so. Also it's a really nice sounding pickup both for cleans and distortion!
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
Quote by Guitarbaddie
New pups won't make a difference through your amp.

If youre talking about the Spider III, I dont use it anymore :P using a POD with patches now. Much better sounding!

Quote by angusfan16
Quote by henrihell
Seymour Duncan SH-13, a.k.a. "The Dimebucker" can anything catch harmonics better than that? I don't think so. Also it's a really nice sounding pickup both for cleans and distortion!

If you like noise.

What you really need, TS, is a new amp.

edit: POD is okay I guess. I guess I never understood having a rack of guitars and a cheap amp
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Last edited by Guitarbaddie at Nov 24, 2011,
Quote by bogg808
What you really need is a new Klon

Yeah, buy bogg's Klon.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Through a Spider 3? You could have the best pickups in the world and it will sound like crap. Put the money you were going to spend on pickups towards a decent amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Guitarbaddie
If you like noise.

What you really need, TS, is a new amp.

edit: POD is okay I guess. I guess I never understood having a rack of guitars and a cheap amp

I cant stand the Spider now :P Iv only just bought my Explorer so iv had only my Epi LP for like 7 years :P I live in a student house so i cant really have a decent amp. I run my POD into my old Marshall MG15 through the clean channel though and that sounds pretty killer. Not good for live situations but im not in a band or anything so it works for me

Quote by angusfan16
Quote by WtrPlyr
With the POD + MG still new pickups won't really make that much of a difference.

It makes a really noticeable difference between my Invader and the Ex stock pickup so im ready to spend the £60 or so on a new one :P

Quote by angusfan16