Hey, here's a new song that I just started working on ... however, it feels abit cheesy and I don't like that ... any feedback is really welcome. There are some notes on the piano missing here and there. Will have to fix that. And ATM everything is MIDI, I will record the piano and guitar myself when I'm happy with the "preversion" that I'm doing in MIDI and Cubase.

Comments on the mix are welcome aswell. There are a few bits of clipping that I will remove later. When the bass kicks in there will be a guitar doing a solo.

So what you think?:
Current (new) version:
http://soundcloud.com/prantare/ditherlive2-1

First version (old):
http://soundcloud.com/prantare/dither-work-in-progress-1
Last edited by Braincheese at Nov 27, 2011,
Thank you for the crit

I actually really enjoyed your track, it's very understated in a good way. The piano is very nice, considering it's all programmed via MIDI there are some nice dynamics throughout, and the chord progression is particularly pleasant, though not generic or cheesy which is amazing!

Obviously the guitar lets it down at the moment, sampled guitars such as that should be banished from DAW's in my opinion, but I suppose for melody and structures sake it serves it's purpose well. Although, I would most definitely make the guitar part slightly more intricate and interesting. A final thing I would say is the layer your strings maybe, and build them up and down throughout, just to add yet more interest? Just a thought.

Overall though dude this is a nice solid foundation to a beautiful track!
Quote by Aaron!!
Thank you for the crit

I actually really enjoyed your track, it's very understated in a good way. The piano is very nice, considering it's all programmed via MIDI there are some nice dynamics throughout, and the chord progression is particularly pleasant, though not generic or cheesy which is amazing!

Obviously the guitar lets it down at the moment, sampled guitars such as that should be banished from DAW's in my opinion, but I suppose for melody and structures sake it serves it's purpose well. Although, I would most definitely make the guitar part slightly more intricate and interesting. A final thing I would say is the layer your strings maybe, and build them up and down throughout, just to add yet more interest? Just a thought.

Overall though dude this is a nice solid foundation to a beautiful track!

Thank you so much, the feedback is needed and really helpful!

I think the guitar part is going to be the most interesting in the final version so don't have to worry about that. I have a few tricks up my sleeve! But I really agree with you that they should be banished, they are terrible! If you've heard Shawn Lane thats where the guitar playing (dynamically) is abit aimed at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4naGFSdu38M

About the string layering. You mean to make it also play a melody/bassline? Right now it's mostly a chordlayer! So I can really see what you mean! If that is what you mean then it is a quite good idea.. =)

Thank you so much about the chord progression! =)
Very beautiful piece. You've got nice chord choices. I would really love to hear a final version with real instruments. I can imagine it all being fit solidly and perfect. I know this is a WIP, but I think you should make the electric have a longer solo. Maybe throw it in the middle/back of the mix for a more 'real' feel, if you get what I mean. Good use of strings, but it needs something more. Spark this up a bit. You've got something great here.

Crit for crit, please?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1498672
Quote by Harlot Hero
Very beautiful piece. You've got nice chord choices. I would really love to hear a final version with real instruments. I can imagine it all being fit solidly and perfect. I know this is a WIP, but I think you should make the electric have a longer solo. Maybe throw it in the middle/back of the mix for a more 'real' feel, if you get what I mean. Good use of strings, but it needs something more. Spark this up a bit. You've got something great here.

Crit for crit, please?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1498672

Thanks!

The guitar will definatley have a longer solo. I'm a guitarist so the song is going to be a guitar song really. I also play piano so thats why the piano takes much space aswell.
I'll definatley take a look at your song!

I've made some altering to the strings, piano and changed some stuff.. so maybe you can crit again? =)
Thanks for the crit!

-I really like the piano, very pleasant and calming.
-I think the piano sounds pretty good actually
-no comment on the guitar though, but I'm sure it will turn out fine.
-I like the song that you wrote, very nice and pleasant.
-personally though, I don't think a guitar would fit very well with this song, I kind of hear a wind instrument, or an instrument where you can sustain the note for longer, but a guitar would still work fine.

good job so far though.