Today is Turky Day for us 'Mericans, and also the day my grandparents tend to ask me for Christmas gift ideas. I've been thinking about getting a tubescreamer like a Bad Monkey o Boss Super Overdrive, since I plan on getting a "real" amp soon (versus my small bass practice amp I've been using) like a JCA20H, Peavey Valveking, Classic, or Tube Vypyr, or Fender Mustang III. However, seeing as there's a couple modelling amps on that list, I don't know if it would be best to spring for a TS so soon.

I play all sorts of music, (like hard rock, alternative, blues, and jazz) so a TS would be useful

Other ideas include nice cables, or a chorus pedal.

Happy Thanksgiving!
I pride myself on my humility.
I would wait. TS don't sound great as a distortion pedal, they're more of a boost/eq (for that midrange hump). I would wait until you get your amp to decide if you even want/need one.
Yeah, Strats is right. Get the amp first, then the TS. TS just boosts the natural overdrive that you get from tubes.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Mmk. Is there anything else you would suggest then? As of now it's probably new cables or money to go towards an amp.
I would ask for an MXR Blue Box for Christmas. But thats just me.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
When I tried out the Bad Monkey and the SD-1 I liked the SD-1. You can use it for more than a boost. A TS-808 is more of a boost. The SD-1 actually gives a little bit of extra overdrive and is more harsh sounding than an original Tube Screamer (can be good or bad). If you are saving for a new amp, I recommend a Peavey Classic, very nice sounding amps.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
bad monkey
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
i think you need to decide if you are going tube or modeller for an amp first. if tube then yeah a tubescreamer is a good idea (the SD-1 isn't a TS style pedal by the way). if modeller then they tend to not take pedals well (except wah).

i'd ask for a gift card to whatever guitar shop you go to.
Vox Valvetronix modelers and Roland Cube modeling amps both have great tone, and work well with pedals.

If you have enough common sense to dial in a clean tone on the amp, and then add the pedal, that is.
Quote by Vypor
Vox Valvetronix modelers and Roland Cube modeling amps both have great tone, and work well with pedals.

If you have enough common sense to dial in a clean tone on the amp, and then add the pedal, that is.

I've played both, and liked both, but I've heard that some of the VT's have reliability issues and I've felt that the Cubes are missing something...
Ask for cash and use it toward your new amp!
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean