Hi all, quick question:

Replacing tubes in a Laney GH50L. ECC833 (x4) EL 34 (x2)

The only ones in stock in the Dublin Guitar Centre (Not the american chain) are:
Tung-sol
EHX

Both are pretty expensive, around €14 for the tungsol ECC and over €20 for el34

However in a previous thread I was recommended JJ eurotubes which I can get on Thomann for €8.70 and €16 respectivly + 15 postage

I used to play hard rock but more into blues now and therefore not really looking high gain. Would rather good cleans and warm overdrive

Question:
Are the tungsol and EHX as good/better than the JJ's I read a lot about here and therfore worth the extra cash + not having to wait
Or
Should I stick to the JJ's and order in?

All advice appriciated! Thank you.
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
I haven't played JJ's myself, but from what I've read they've got a sound that suits quite a few styles. Tung-sol on the other hand seem more like a bright high-gain option.

Given the choices, I'd say go with the JJ's since you're looking to play blues. EHX tubes are decent, but I personally don't like them (just swapped my EHX EL34's for Svetlana 6L6's).

Just for reference, I'm into dark, crunchy and warm sound. Brightness isn't a goal of mine, especially with EMG pickups. Those things are bright by default.
Gear
Taylor 214CE
PRS SE 245, PRS Tremonti Custom
Carvin V3 short stack
Pedals
AMT R2|Morley Mark Tremonti Wah|Mojo Hand Rook|MXR Black Label Chorus|Source Audio EQ|TC-E Flashback, Hall of Fame & Vortex|VFE Enterprise|Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Last edited by music_warrior at Nov 24, 2011,
In a Laney GH? JJ all the way. Better quality tubes and they sound better and they suit your amp and the suit your genre.
They good enough reasons?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i'd say check out the tube thread. tubes are kinda like guitar strings for your amp - which particular brand you find better will vary from person to person. that thread should give you all the help you need.

having said that i will point out that a lot of professional amp techs reliably advised me to stop using JJs as they are just not robust enough to be "road worthy", and so far that has been some pretty sound advice for me personally. it's a shame though, because they sound great.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
JJ's aren't roadworthy? And New Sensor rubbish is?????
I call bollocks.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i haven't tried them in the laney, but i have tried jjs (not the el34s) and i'd be inclined to agree with caths.

also check the prices on tube-town (also in germany), they may (or may not) be cheaper than thomann. you'd probably have more choices, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Cathbard
JJ's aren't roadworthy? And New Sensor rubbish is?????
I call bollocks.

please rephrase that... new sensor rubbish?

but seriously, think about it - what reason would i have to just come on UG and randomly bash some random tube brand for no particular reason?... although i will give you the benefit of the doubt since this is the internet and people do shit like that all the time on the internet...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Last edited by Blompcube at Nov 24, 2011,
I still call bollocks. If you were saying JJ weren't as durable as SED or British NOS tubes I wouldn't pull you up but the other options are things churned out by New Sensor. I'll rephrase it for you - New Sensor fragile unreliable crap. Better?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 24, 2011,
Never had any problems with JJ. They sound great for dark metal and blues tones, some nice dynamics in there too. Cant say i care for tung-sol, too much high end...
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
I can't offer any real insight, but I hear no end of good things about JJ. Like, for those who don't want to go expensive and NOS.

I've heard more gripes about EHX and Tungsol than I have of JJ...but all I know is what I researched when I was planning changing my valves...then I got poor and it never happened.
I had the GH50L, I have the 100L now.
I have tried these in the preamp section:

Tried mixing them up, played around with that for a couple of months, settled with JJ ECC83S in the entire preamp section. For some reason the amp sounds the best with JJ's in it, also the fizziness is gone at low volumes. Reliability wise also I prefer JJ's now. Most people complain about them being dull/lifeless, its kinda true but since the Laney already is very bright, these don't sound dull, plus turning the presence knob fixes any dullness in the sound if needed. So yeah I prefer these in my amp & plus side to them is that they are cheap too. Just make sure you get them from a reliable source that tests them for hum/pops/hiss.

As for the Tungsol RI, I liked its tone too, a bit bright but not ear piercing, somewhat fizzy sounding, however the reliability factor is very poor on these. First i tried getting two of these, both of which had some hum in them, later I got two others which were fine out of the box, but two weeks later they started developing hum in them. I won't be getting these again, $70 wasted on my side. You may however have good luck with these like some have, I'm not taking another chance with them though.

The EHX behaves similar to the Tungsol RI, same issues with this one as well, got it from Doug's. This particular tube is fizzy sounding, its fizziness is somewhat comparable to the Chinese TAD's. Also a boring tube in comparison to the Tungsol RI. I'd take the Tungsol over this anyday for tone. I have two of these rated for high gain, gain is somewhat less compared to the others.

The Mullard RI, is odd somewhat. I liked it alot first when I got it. It adds only lower mids & mine wasn't very gainy either. It's neither dark or bright sounding, basically in between the two, can get boring after a while. Couldn't find a spot for using it after getting JJ's, plus this one is $18 i think, don't remember exactly. Reliability wise its been very good. I've only had one of these to try out.

TAD's
are fizzy & bright. Too much of fizz in this amp. The gain is on level with JJ's however the JJ's I have aren't selected for high gain so for time being I'll just consider them on par in the gain department. Reliability wise they aren't too bad, prices are high though for a chinese tube. The High Grade tube has reliabilty issues, I've had them before in gh50l & it croaked in less than three months.

For the power tubes I got hold of JJEL34's(the normal ones). So far they sound alot better than the stock TADEL34's. Had these for three months or so, no problems yet. I have the JJ 6CA7's in the mail waiting to be delivered. The problem people had with JJ power tubes seem to have begun when they reduced the thickness of the pins, as in the pins were thin. So it was causing contact issues leading to shorts & stuff like that, plus for some reason they had a bad batch out a few years back with square pins & stuff like that. They seem to have fixed that recently I guess, however the pin size is still slim compared to say chinese ones. The 6CA7 has regular sized pins though...
SED 'C' are another option but the price is horrible, $40 a tube. You can get NOS 6l6WGC or something for $50 a tube which probably will fair better so I guess it depends upon how much you want to spend.
Quote by Cathbard
I still call bollocks. If you were saying JJ weren't as durable as SED or British NOS tubes I wouldn't pull you up but the other options are things churned out by New Sensor. I'll rephrase it for you - New Sensor fragile unreliable crap. Better?

well the only way i could prove to you that i'm not bullshitting is to give you contact details for people who probably don't want me to give out their contact details to people on the internet so really since there's no other way i can prove it and you're not gonna just take my word for it there's not really much point in arguing about it.

although i will point out that the people i spoke to about this stuff didn't really give any particular comparison so they may have been comparing JJs to NOS mullards and stuff. Although one guy did tell me sovteks are more durable - shame about how they sound

So i guess new sensor is one of the companies that makes a load of tubes that are then rebranded? i knew a lot of modern tubes were rebranded (like ruby for example) but haven't really heard a lot about the companies that actually make them.

Last edited by Blompcube at Nov 25, 2011,
JJ's will be warm and smooth, as well as a bit grainy. They can get a bit too smooth and lose too much high end in darker amps.

Tung-Sol's and very bright, high-gain, and grainy. Never cared for them much. Too edgy. They'll make your amp brighter and more aggressive.

EHX is a tricky one. It's a lot like the Tung-Sol in how it sounds but not quite to the same extent. Almost a little reserved.

That's just what I've seen out of them. Might want to look into some other stuff if your not sure about these three.
Quote by Blompcube
well the only way i could prove to you that i'm not bullshitting is to give you contact details for people who probably don't want me to give out their contact details to people on the internet so really since there's no other way i can prove it and you're not gonna just take my word for it there's not really much point in arguing about it.

although i will point out that the people i spoke to about this stuff didn't really give any particular comparison so they may have been comparing JJs to NOS mullards and stuff. Although one guy did tell me sovteks are more durable - shame about how they sound

So i guess new sensor is one of the companies that makes a load of tubes that are then rebranded? i knew a lot of modern tubes were rebranded (like ruby for example) but haven't really heard a lot about the companies that actually make them.

New Sensor is the parent company that makes Sovtek, TungSol RI, Mullard RI, Svetlana RI, EHX and a few others. The only difference between them is grid construction, the rest of the tubes are the same.
Saying that Sovteks are more durable than JJ is a such bollocks that it is the bollocks hanging from another pair of bollocks. They can't even deal with being in a cathode follower position without turning up their toes and dying.
I'm not calling you a liar, I'm saying you were told a load of bollocks that I don't agree with.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 25, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard
In a Laney GH? JJ all the way. Better quality tubes and they sound better and they suit your amp and the suit your genre.
They good enough reasons?

They are fantastic reasons my man!
Thank you
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
Floor
Loop
Amp
Quote by dahelunover
I had the GH50L, I have the 100L now.
I have tried these in the preamp section:

Tried mixing them up, played around with that for a couple of months, settled with JJ ECC83S in the entire preamp section. For some reason the amp sounds the best with JJ's in it, also the fizziness is gone at low volumes. Reliability wise also I prefer JJ's now. Most people complain about them being dull/lifeless, its kinda true but since the Laney already is very bright, these don't sound dull, plus turning the presence knob fixes any dullness in the sound if needed. So yeah I prefer these in my amp & plus side to them is that they are cheap too. Just make sure you get them from a reliable source that tests them for hum/pops/hiss.

As for the Tungsol RI, I liked its tone too, a bit bright but not ear piercing, somewhat fizzy sounding, however the reliability factor is very poor on these. First i tried getting two of these, both of which had some hum in them, later I got two others which were fine out of the box, but two weeks later they started developing hum in them. I won't be getting these again, $70 wasted on my side. You may however have good luck with these like some have, I'm not taking another chance with them though.

The EHX behaves similar to the Tungsol RI, same issues with this one as well, got it from Doug's. This particular tube is fizzy sounding, its fizziness is somewhat comparable to the Chinese TAD's. Also a boring tube in comparison to the Tungsol RI. I'd take the Tungsol over this anyday for tone. I have two of these rated for high gain, gain is somewhat less compared to the others.

The Mullard RI, is odd somewhat. I liked it alot first when I got it. It adds only lower mids & mine wasn't very gainy either. It's neither dark or bright sounding, basically in between the two, can get boring after a while. Couldn't find a spot for using it after getting JJ's, plus this one is $18 i think, don't remember exactly. Reliability wise its been very good. I've only had one of these to try out.

TAD's
are fizzy & bright. Too much of fizz in this amp. The gain is on level with JJ's however the JJ's I have aren't selected for high gain so for time being I'll just consider them on par in the gain department. Reliability wise they aren't too bad, prices are high though for a chinese tube. The High Grade tube has reliabilty issues, I've had them before in gh50l & it croaked in less than three months.

For the power tubes I got hold of JJEL34's(the normal ones). So far they sound alot better than the stock TADEL34's. Had these for three months or so, no problems yet. I have the JJ 6CA7's in the mail waiting to be delivered. The problem people had with JJ power tubes seem to have begun when they reduced the thickness of the pins, as in the pins were thin. So it was causing contact issues leading to shorts & stuff like that, plus for some reason they had a bad batch out a few years back with square pins & stuff like that. They seem to have fixed that recently I guess, however the pin size is still slim compared to say chinese ones. The 6CA7 has regular sized pins though...
SED 'C' are another option but the price is horrible, $40 a tube. You can get NOS 6l6WGC or something for $50 a tube which probably will fair better so I guess it depends upon how much you want to spend.

Wow, one of the most comprehensive replies I have ever got on this site, thanks for taking the time.

What kinda stuff do you play yourself? JJ's seem to be the way to go so for lower gain type stuff so? I know its a bit silly using a high gain amp but dont really want to change unless I have to, anyway need to re-tube to sell it on if I do decide to change.

Il look around on tube-town (are they relyable?) to see if they are cheaper than thomann, I assume that as they specalise in tubes that they check them out and are relyable.

If tung-sol arehigh gain AND expensive, I will leave them out, I remember reading mixed things about EHX too.
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
Floor
Loop
Amp
Quote by Punk_Ninja
I can't offer any real insight, but I hear no end of good things about JJ. Like, for those who don't want to go expensive and NOS.

I've heard more gripes about EHX and Tungsol than I have of JJ...but all I know is what I researched when I was planning changing my valves...then I got poor and it never happened.

In an ideal world my man! Paying for a masters degree at the moment so funds are tight!!!

I think the subtle brilliance of NOS tubes would be lost on me at the moment!
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
Floor
Loop
Amp
Quote by Cathbard
New Sensor is the parent company that makes Sovtek, TungSol RI, Mullard RI, Svetlana RI, EHX and a few others. The only difference between them is grid construction, the rest of the tubes are the same.
Saying that Sovteks are more durable than JJ is a such bollocks that it is the bollocks hanging from another pair of bollocks. They can't even deal with being in a cathode follower position without turning up their toes and dying.
I'm not calling you a liar, I'm saying you were told a load of bollocks that I don't agree with.

ok, fair enough - thinking about it, the guy who told me that was a bit drunk so he might've mixed up his words a bit. and he may have been talking about EL84s specifically since it was an EL84 amp i was talking to him about at the time. he was also raving about the stock tubes in an 18 year old matchless amp that still appeared to be "good as new" internally despite how frequently the amp had been used for gigs. can't remember what they were, but that's pretty impressive

As I said, NOS tubes are better - but you pay for them. JJ EL84's are like $10 each. Most EL84 amps are cathode biased so if one does die it's a simple matter of sticking in your new ones and at $10 each anybody that doesn't carry spares is the king of dumbasses.
JJ may not be as good as NOS but when it comes to value for money they are untouchable, especially for a modern tube.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by gerrywm
Wow, one of the most comprehensive replies I have ever got on this site, thanks for taking the time.

What kinda stuff do you play yourself? JJ's seem to be the way to go so for lower gain type stuff so? I know its a bit silly using a high gain amp but dont really want to change unless I have to, anyway need to re-tube to sell it on if I do decide to change.

Il look around on tube-town (are they relyable?) to see if they are cheaper than thomann, I assume that as they specalise in tubes that they check them out and are relyable.

If tung-sol arehigh gain AND expensive, I will leave them out, I remember reading mixed things about EHX too.

I normally play alternate rock/hard rock/shred kinda stuff that doesn't require modern gain rhythm sounds from the amp. Basically I don't need all the gain the GH can deliver, sometimes for fun I do like to have the added amount of gain though. I like the early EVH 1 tone I can get from it, its quite fun haha

The part in bold above, I did not get. If the preamp section has too much gain then won't turning the gain knob down help? You could even just plug into the low input which bypasses the one whole gain stage. I still don't get it lol I personally would avoid getting either of those for your amp. I have those with me, I don't want more of them again. Although, the Tungsol does sound good, I have had issues with four of them... and you can't use it in the V3 slot of the amp either, it commits harakiri
Maybe you want to give E34L's a try? Or go for 6L6 tubes for the power section those have more headroom. I don't have problems getting cleans sounds out of the amp, so...

Anyways, I don't know about European stores that are good to get tubes from. Try asking in the Laney thread or wait till someone else get's in to recommend a particular one. I get mine from US, so not of much help there.

I would still recommend a regular JJECC83S for the preamp, especially since you aren't certain about keeping the amp, so that the retube cost will be lesser.
Ah I cant afford to change amp now at the moment, havent been using the amp much lately cos I couldnt bring the 4x12 cab to where im living now so just play it at weekends, the tubes have been bad for a while (also had a dirty pots probelm that had it out of action for a while) so I think Ive just kinda forgotten how much I used to love the sound of the amp. Im getting a 2x12 so I can bring the amp with me once I get the tubes sorted.

Oh I do have the gain down, I am under the (perhaps misguided) impression that it is "better" to have a "mid gain" amp running hot than using a "high gain" amp and sort of trying to hold it back so to speak?

Thanks for the info on the HI LOW input always wondered what the difference was.

Another question, will I have to re bias the amp if I use JJ EL 34's or EL 34L's??
(Am I correct in saying that the 34L has a bit more head room and slightly cleaner less harsh?)
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
Floor
Loop
Amp
Last edited by gerrywm at Nov 25, 2011,
Yes, you will have to rebias it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Yes, you will have to rebias it.

Is that difficult? Or should I just take it to someone that knows what they are doing?
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
Floor
Loop
Amp
It's not hard if you know how to do it but you do have to work on a live circuit so it's pretty easy to electrocute yourself. You have to remove the chassis to get at the bias trimpot. I don't know if there are bias points inside or if you need to use a bias probe on that particular amp.
311 has a good blog about it that is pretty good.: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/blog/
It is a dangerous job for the beginner so you may be better off getting somebody else to do it for you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
My father is an electritian and ive worked with him for years so know how to avoid electrocuting myself (Kinda!) and have mulit meters etc. so its more of a matter of whats best for my amp (I know my limits and I am a beginer at this stuff, the Laney was my first tube amp and this is the first time its needed a change so its a learning curve for me)

Thanks for sharing the link, Il have a read and see if im up for doing it myself
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
Floor
Loop
Amp
JJ's are great sounding tubes. really brought out the versatility in my crate bv150. its got that clean headroom and can get super br00tz with clarity on something like a low tuned guitar.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
for preamp tubes you should get JJ,s only. but for the powertubes you should get tung-sol el34,

ive tried many el34 tubes (including jj,s and tad) and tung-sol wins

JJs powertubes are great if you use 6L6, dont like them much as el34
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard