Im not got with scales. can you guys tell me What these chords: Bm Em G D is in? and possibly cud someone tell me how to identify what scale these things are in? I know theory and junk, but I can never identify scales fast at all.
The Overflow+READ=zombies.

"if the individual has the right to govern himself, all external government is tyranny." -Benjamin R Tucker
If you knew "theory and junk" this would be really easy...

I would say it's in G but that progression doesn't really work. That last D has a strong pull back to a G chord so there's no resolution. There would have to be a secondary phrase which had that resolution or something to give it another contextual meaning. Possibly an A chord to signify a 2 sharps environment or D major/ Bm. If a C# showed up somewhere we would know D major, if a C natural, G major but for now it's a little ambiguous aside from the F# pulling to a G resolution.

To answer your question, Gmajor/E minor scale would be where you would start.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Nov 24, 2011,
With just these chords, it's kind of ambiguous, like Artemis said... it can be in D major, Bm, G major or E minor
I'd call it D but then again I put everything in D. It can really fit any one of those keys depending on what else is in the song.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Everybody's hears it differently. B Minor for me. The D is essentially a rootless Bm7, and for me the progression resolves to B Minor.

You could try playing in the style of ostinato over static bass. It creates a nice harmony that never really strays from home. Static bass would be B.
^ so very true

that's what I get from giving my opnion from the workplace, where I can't play it/hear it... lol
Okay, that what i was going to solo over. really the whole song has

verse:
Bm Em G without the bottom C# and F#, and a D without the F# on the bottom string.

bridge:

Em G

Chorus:

D A D A Bm Em G

so yeah, It does have an A in there, and I like the suspense that not concluding it gives. But there is an A in there. thanks though guys.

And I know basic theory. Like how to build chords, scales, how scales fit together and all that. Im more of an improv player though.

"if the individual has the right to govern himself, all external government is tyranny." -Benjamin R Tucker
Quote by hiwaychild1
...G without the bottom C# and F#...

I'm sorry, what?
Quote by hiwaychild1
Okay, that what i was going to solo over. really the whole song has

verse:
Bm Em G without the bottom C# and F#, and a D without the F# on the bottom string.

bridge:

Em G

Chorus:

D A D A Bm Em G

so yeah, It does have an A in there, and I like the suspense that not concluding it gives. But there is an A in there. thanks though guys.

And I know basic theory. Like how to build chords, scales, how scales fit together and all that. Im more of an improv player though.

Just for future reference, giving the whole context is a lot more useful than just a snippet of chords. Any of us would have immediately told you a definite key off of all of that.

But, I'm agreeing with mrkeka, what do you mean G without the bottom C# and F#??
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I say it resolves to Bm, after playing it on my keyboard.

It's a i iv VI III.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Last edited by Woffelz at Nov 25, 2011,
good lord. Do you guys not know fretnotes? Its a G without your fingers on the second fret of the two bottom strings. i said the original because i didnt want to take the time to write all that out lol

Quote by hiwaychild1
good lord. Do you guys not know fretnotes? Its a G without your fingers on the second fret of the two bottom strings. i said the original because i didnt want to take the time to write all that out lol

What

Firstly, for an open shape G in standard tuning you would fret the 2nd fret on the 5th string and the 3rd fret on the 6th string, and those notes most definitely aren't F# or C#. A G major consists of G B D.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by hiwaychild1
Im not got with scales. can you guys tell me What these chords: Bm Em G D is in? and possibly cud someone tell me how to identify what scale these things are in? I know theory and junk, but I can never identify scales fast at all.

Spell out your Triads. All of them

Determine your resolution. Now I havent done this step, I havent played the progression, so Im only eyballing it (It could also be a Bm where the D is functioning as a Rootless Bm, I dont know, Id need to hear it in a tonal context of what youre trying to do)

Determine the scale that the occurrence of whole steps and half steps.

So:

B D F#
E G B
G B D
D F# A

A B (?) D E F# G

G A B C D E F# G

I see a iii vi I V in G

The D likely wants to resolve to the G as a V

There's theory put into practice. Now, I spelled it out here for you, but its great when you can do this in real time. In practice I can do it in about 2 seconds which is what you should be able to do.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Dec 3, 2011,
I don't have a guitar around, but that seems like it would function in E minor. It's actually got a pretty interesting two chord resolution, with the riff starting on the V.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by hiwaychild1

Just a thought, you might want to cut the "I know more than you do" attitude with people offering help to a fairly basic question.

The confusion came from the fact that there's no reason to specify "without C# and F#", since those don't appear in a G major triad. Also, since I feel like nitpicking, the "two bottom strings" would be the E and A - the higher pitched strings are referred to as the top strings, not the other way around.
quit being a dick dude. I wouldnt be asking you guys if I knew this stuff. good try though.

also my bad on the F# and C#. thats the 2nd fret lol I was looking at my frets and my brain farted lol

Quote by hiwaychild1
quit being a dick dude. I wouldnt be asking you guys if I knew this stuff. good try though.

No, you're reversing the situation here - I'm not "being a dick", I'm telling you to avoid making wise-ass comments when people are trying to help you out.

Manners will get you far.
Quote by hiwaychild1
I know theory and junk, but I can never identify scales fast at all.

Quote by hiwaychild1
I wouldnt be asking you guys if I knew this stuff.

good try.

here's your answer -- determine your key by listening for the resolution. once you determine your key, you'll have what you need.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.

thats the 2nd fret lol I was looking at my frets and my brain farted lol

Now that's phony.

But yeah, I'm not feeling that progression. If you're more of an improv player, then I think, for your sake, you relax the theory for a little bit and loop it with some shitty recording program. You'll find your way, I hope. My idea is that the last D could be replaced by an F#. I played this with a gipsy-j approach and it didn't sound half bad, scales and all. You might need to go simpler, but you'll find your way.

MOCOSO LIKE ME
DUDE! Thanks! I love the F# sound! changed the song. but really... I know like most the pieces of music theory, I just suck at putting them together. but really, Quit taking my words out of context. and Im not making wise ass comments. grow up!

Quote by hiwaychild1
DUDE! Thanks! I love the F# sound! changed the song. but really... I know like most the pieces of music theory, I just suck at putting them together. but really, Quit taking my words out of context. and Im not making wise ass comments. grow up!

Yes your highness . Lol I'm just foolin dude good luck

MOCOSO LIKE ME
Quote by hiwaychild1
and Im not making wise ass comments. grow up!

People offered help to you initially, and you respond with this lovely bit to open your next post after it was you who was unclear about something.
Quote by hiwaychild1
good lord. Do you guys not know fretnotes?

Yeah, that is a wise-ass remark. You can't just tell people to "grow up" or "stop being a dick" simply because they raise an issue, it's you who needs to do the growing up and realize where the fault is here.

I'm trying to help you, but if you want to keep ignoring me, be my guest.
Last edited by :-D at Dec 6, 2011,
Its not the fact that there is fault, because I know I made a mistake. It's the fact that people like you wont drop it. IM SORRY. NOT PERFECT OVER HERE. I know a little bit of what Im doing, and I know that when I was looking at my fertboard, for some reason I was thinking that a G had two fingers on the second fret, when in fact, its the third. I know, I accidentally told you guys wrong, it caused mass confusion, and now you are persistantly bringing this up. stop. I want advise, not banter.

Here's some advice - try and make amends to the nice people who just helped.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
christ you're thick.
Quote by hiwaychild1
I know a little bit of what Im doing

My whole point was that if you're not all that knowledgeable, there's no need to take an attitude with people who are helping you. You got your "advice", and I threw in a nice little life lesson there for you to, which you've chosen to ignore time after time.

done here, gonna go help reasonable people instead
It would be easier to be understanding with you if you actually helped me. but whatever. to everyone that did, Thanks guys.