looks like either its gone, or so far back in the thread history it'd be a necrobump to post in it...didnt look that far back with the search i went through several pages and didnt see it...

12 strings unfortunately are becoming a dying instrument in popularity I love my 12 string...
I play mine regularly and always will, I was just browsing and thought I'd have a look, shame it's gone, still I never posted on it myself so I'm as much to blame as anyone,
The A&C forum looks to be heading the same way sadly
just picked up a taylor 855ce 12 string. don't know what to do with it really( not yet anyway). it's my first 12. only played a few songs on it so far. any good ideas from you guys would be welcome. so far just old eagles songs and a few others.
Just roll through all your fave acoustic songs and some of them will jump out like they were born to be played on a 12 string even tho they weren't intended for it, hours of fun to be had . enjoy!
Quote by stepchildusmc
just picked up a taylor 855ce 12 string. don't know what to do with it really( not yet anyway). it's my first 12. only played a few songs on it so far. any good ideas from you guys would be welcome. so far just old eagles songs and a few others.
An inherent problem with the 12 string is, a little goes a long way. They're sort of like a really sweet desert. That, and the thing we talked about earlier about how they excel at pounding out protest songs, which you of course, are not into.

I saw Roy Clark, (the normally a banjo guy), do a simply astounding, "Malaguena", on an Ovation 12. But, as I've heard you cop to, I'm about 3 lifetimes away from mastering that one.

Try using a "drop D capo" on "Peaceful Easy Feeling". At concert pitch, you would capo @ the 2nd fret giving you what amounts to "drop E" tuning". Then, as of course you know, play the song in D. You get 12 full strings of a glorious E major chord, in the always popular D major open voicing.
Quote by JAMBOIAN
I play mine regularly and always will, I was just browsing and thought I'd have a look, shame it's gone, still I never posted on it myself so I'm as much to blame as anyone,
The A&C forum looks to be heading the same way sadly
The current crop of juvenile delinquents would most certainly find the 12 string a complete disconnect from their, "paranoid delusions of shredderhood fantasy world".

I'm still suggesting Bob Dylan's, "Chimes of Freedom", as one of the best songs for 12 string, ever.

Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
12 strings unfortunately are becoming a dying instrument in popularity I love my 12 string...
Being left handed, you're essentially preaching to the choir here. I was hoping I could convince Ibanez to release a lefty 12, but I don't really see that happening, do you? Seagull's got one, but no cutaway. If you tune D to D, (which you probably should), after you capo it up to concert pitch, you run out of neck in a god awful hurry.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 24, 2011,
I realise this is an older post but what the heck.
I currently own a couple of 12 strings and a couple of fairly decent six string dreadnaughts
(alvarez md60 and taylor dn3)
I enjoy playing any type of music I have played on the six strings on the 12's as well.
Seems that some folks may be intimidated by 12's.
With just a little effort, you can finger pick, flat pick, whatever.
Dylan's bluesy songs, i.e., Down in the Flood, are great on a 12 string. If you like some of Gordon Lightfoot's music, then you have got to like the 12.
If you are truly gifted, you can copy some of Kotke's riffs ( not there yet).
Play whatever you find or have. Just play.
(12's are takemine ef385 and Alvarez 410 12)
Quote by Bigdogjer

I currently own a couple of 12 strings and a couple of fairly decent six string dreadnaughts
(alvarez md60 and taylor dn3)
In a hasty burst of fiscal irresponsibility, (the credit card company's, not mine), I recently acquired 2 new "Crafter" 12 strings. The first, a Taylor T-5 knock off, (albeit 12 strings and left handed): And the second, a fairly standard AE dreadnaught. The ad said, "sale", it was left handed, so as you can plainly see, there was no turning back at that point...
Quote by Bigdogjer
I enjoy playing any type of music I have played on the six strings on the 12's as well.
Although I have met with some resistance about it here, I believe that protest music is one of the most suitable arenas for the 12 string. In fact, many of the legendary perfomers of protest songs, did indeed use the 12 string as their vehicle of social outrage... Amen to that...
Quote by Bigdogjer
Seems that some folks may be intimidated by 12's.
Me not so much, but my finger tips certainly don't seem to squeal with delight when I drag one out of its case...
Quote by Bigdogjer
With just a little effort, you can finger pick, flat pick, whatever.
With very little extra effort, (but a small outlay of cash), you can hang a digital delay in your effects line, and you'll have a whole herd of finger or flat picked 12 strings!
Quote by Bigdogjer
Dylan's bluesy songs, i.e., Down in the Flood, are great on a 12 string.
Gotta go with , "My Back Pages or "Chimes of Freedom" here. Actually , "The Byrds Greatest Hits, Vol 1" in its entirety is a good starting point.
Quote by Bigdogjer
If you like some of Gordon Lightfoot's music, then you have got to like the 12.
If you are truly gifted, you can copy some of Kotke's riffs ( not there yet).
Leo who....? (I meant me either)...
Quote by Bigdogjer
Play whatever you find or have. Just play.
(12's are takemine ef385 and Alvarez 410 12)
.......................10-4
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 2, 2012,
Enjoyed the response. Always good to smile.
Some days I open up the case of one of the twelve's and it immediately tells me, "No, not today, put me back in the case and leave me alone, you John Denver wanabbe."
When I timidly return a few days later, the twelve seems to say, "And just where have your been? How about pretending I'm an L7 and let's do some jazz stuff."
My wife says that she doesn't mind me listening to the guitar talk but to forget about taking it out to dinner.
Play on.