Hi I'm beginning to learn bass and i want to get the right amp so what amp has a good tone for playing slap and also for playing heavy metal?

I need something that is loud enough so i can jam with electric guitars and drummers and practise at home too that costs around £100 or less.

also i might be looking into buying pre owned if there arent any major risks involved since you can get a good deal

I'd go with a fender rumble. save some money so you can afford more watts
Holy crap so many wrongs here.

First off, you want to jam with guitarists and a drummer, you're gonna need something loud. Rule of thumb is about 300 watts. For 100 pounds, which is roughly $150 bucks, you might not be able to afford that, and you WON'T be able to afford it if you go new. So you're gonna have to go used.

Right off the bat, a fender rumble, and an ampeg BA won't do the trick. At all. Any bass amp can do the metal tones and slap tones, it's just a matter of properly EQ'ing your sound.

If you go used, you might be able to find an old Peavey TKO or something. You might want something with a 15'' speaker, which are really common for bass combos and such. Those rumbles and BA's are good for practicing in your room, but will fart out and practically be inaudible with guitars and drums.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
Holy crap so many wrongs here.

First off, you want to jam with guitarists and a drummer, you're gonna need something loud. Rule of thumb is about 300 watts. For 100 pounds, which is roughly $150 bucks, you might not be able to afford that, and you WON'T be able to afford it if you go new. So you're gonna have to go used.

Right off the bat, a fender rumble, and an ampeg BA won't do the trick. At all. Any bass amp can do the metal tones and slap tones, it's just a matter of properly EQ'ing your sound.

If you go used, you might be able to find an old Peavey TKO or something. You might want something with a 15'' speaker, which are really common for bass combos and such. Those rumbles and BA's are good for practicing in your room, but will fart out and practically be inaudible with guitars and drums.

OP, listen to this man. He speaks words of wisdom and truth, ignore those people in this thread who are just reciting what dodgy amp salesmen told them.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
Cb4rabid does speak wise words,but I'm going to have to disagree with him on wattage.300 watts would be nice,but if your on a low budget,and need a bass amp for your band,sound quality is probably something you might have to sacrifice a bit.100 Watts is the absolute minimum I would go,and in that range,don't expect as clean and clear a bass sound as you would probably like.
Just as important though is speaker choice. The right kind of speakers can make you sound just a bit louder.Don't go smaller than a 1x15 or a 2x10 on this.

My opinion,stretch your budget a bit,find a 4x10 and a decent wattage head,and you'll be in business.+1 on peaveys,they're bombproof.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
300watt!
dude im not looking to play the o2 arena i mean ive jammed with a bass player as an electric guitarist and his 20w amp did him fine, i know drums are louder than electric guitar but seriously i need 300w to keep up? like i said i really wont be playing any massive arenas any time soon just private jamming maybe some small gigs if im lucky
If you want to not sound like farts, you'll need atleast 100-150.
So yeah, 300 watts isn't that much really.

The rule of thumb in general is you'll need 3x the wattage of your guitarist.
Quote by rroastbeef
300watt!
dude im not looking to play the o2 arena i mean ive jammed with a bass player as an electric guitarist and his 20w amp did him fine, i know drums are louder than electric guitar but seriously i need 300w to keep up? like i said i really wont be playing any massive arenas any time soon just private jamming maybe some small gigs if im lucky

20w for guitar DOES NOT equal 20w for bass. Ive seen a 15w combo for guitar keep up easily with a 100w bass. Bass frequencies act much different that guitar freq.

Also, watts DO NOT equal volume. What dictates volume is how efficient your speaker is, the number of speakers, and the amount of air they move, watts is just how much juice you can power them with. A 300w system is not necessarily louder than a 200w system, there is much more to it than just watts.

But yes, rule of thumb is 300w with a full blown band (that really isn't that much) and bare minimum is a 100w considering your drummer isnt too loud and your guitarist doesn't crank it too much.
pinga
best isn't an option you have though at your budget, they suggested used peavey, Gallien kreuger, ashdown, acoustic (which you might not have in Britain). Just don't get suckered into buy an ampeg amp that's in your price range. Amp companies even famous ones have big $$$ famous amps, and inbred cousins that just happen to have the family name and still cost a little too much $$
Quote by rroastbeef
300watt!
dude im not looking to play the o2 arena

Lool.

Anyway, my bassist got an Ashdown MAG-300 for about £100 (used, eBay is your friend at this price-range). It's probably the best you can get for that price, 300 watts, it's done gigs loads of times, with no mic, miced and DI'd, always sounded good enough. Always keeps up. I've borrowed it for gigs too and it can get some good tones.

Though you might get away with something a bit smaller/cheaper, I used to borrow a Line6 Lowdown 175 (175 watts) didn't sound as good as some bass amps, but did the job and for the price you're looking at you shouldn't be expecting the best of tones.

Also your question "What make of amp is the best", that's completely irrelevant to the thread, as for £100, you ain't gonna even get close to the best.
People regard brands like Ampeg, Gallien Krueger, Trace Elliot, etc, as the better amps (though it all boils down to opinion), either way for an amp anyone could consider "best" you're probably gonna be looking at £500+
Last edited by Punk_Ninja at Nov 25, 2011,
This thread reminds me of the craigslist post for left handed guitar strings.

Go for the most wattage for your budget without getting into the land of horrible amps, such as Behringer. You should be able to get some decent used Ashdown rigs in your budget. Stay away from lower entry level GKs and Ampegs; they are a waste of cash for what you are paying.

And for slap----a good set of strings, the right setup and your own skills are going to make more difference in the end than your amp.
Last edited by anarkee at Nov 25, 2011,
Quote by anarkee

And for slap----a good set of strings, the right setup and your own skills are going to make more difference in the end than your amp.

HUGE +1.

Often times, a low-action setup will give you a pretty good slap tone. Pay a visit to a (good) local tech or luthier and ask them to lower your action a bit (unless it's already low of course). This will definitely help add definition to your slap tone. Like anarkee says, your own technique/skills will play into this a lot too.

OK, on to the amp.

The guys who are pushing you to get something with more output to compete with the drummer/guitar definitely have a point.

If you want anyone other than yourself and maybe your band members to hear you, it would help to get a higher-wattage/louder amp. It depends a little on how loud your drummer and guitarist play too.

Having said that, I've gotten away with playing jam sessions with a drummer and a guitarist with a little SWR L.A. 8, a low-wattage amp with an 8" cone. BUT, this was just a jam session, the amp was really cranked up, and I probably wouldn't have gotten away with it even at a coffee shop gig.

So, if you want to play anything other than a practice session, my recommendation would be to research some of the SWR amps. Their lower-end amps are durable and good-quality for the price (of course, this is speaking from 7 years ago, I'm not sure if they have changed since). Hartke also makes some decent lower-end stuff, but I'm pretty sure the good ones start around $200. Also, some people HATE Hartkes, so try first. Watch out for Crates, they tend to be a little rickety IMO (though some people LOVE them). If your limit is 100 pounds, it's probably time to start looking for used rigs, almost nothing new will fit the bill at the price range.

IMO, a single 15" cone will not be as defined as say single or multiple 12" or 10" cones, and slap generally benefits from mid-range definition. BUT, if you have a low B on your bass you'll want at least a 2x10" or 12".

Finally, you might ask your local friends/musical acquaintances to let you borrow some of their smaller rigs for a practice session or two.

Good luck on the amp search!