I have trouble with sweep picking. I can't seem to mute properly. And when I do it slowly, to avoid the mute I kind of "lie" on the B sting.

e|-19p16--------------------16h19-
B|----------18-----------18-----------
G|---------------(!!)-19-------------

That !! is where the note lasts a little longer than it should and it makes the arpeggio sound like some sort of wave, a broken sound instead of fluid. Also, when I try to mute there's kind of an aoutomatic background ring when connect the B-G strings.
Hi,

are you trying to mute strings with your thumb or a palm while sweeping?

_
Neal Wakefield
Last edited by Neal_Wakefield at Nov 24, 2011,
Quote by Neal_Wakefield
Hi,

are you trying to mute strings with your thumb or a palm while sweeping?

_
Patrick Wakefield

I believe I am trying to do so with the thumb. When I down stroke - palm (down stroking sounds fluid I think) ; up stroke - thumb
I just grabbed my guitar to see in detail how do I play this arpeggio.

Personally, I mute everything with my thumb. When I move from E note on G string to G note on B string I mute the G note with my thumb and it sounds cleanly and naturally this way.

Maybe you should experiment with your right hand position practicing this? Remember to keep it slow while you do that

__
Neal Wakefield
Remeber that each finger should touch the string below it to mute it. Your B string is probably ringing, so make sure your finger on the e (index in this case) is slightly touching it. You might not find it comfortable to mute with your right hand on such a small sweep (I personally don't), so don't worry if you can't do it properly that way around. I use my right hand for everything up to the G, and then use my left hand on the top 3, using both for the G in the middle.
Hate to hijack this in any way, but I just have to ask... What the hell is Thumb Muting? My left thumb does NOT extend over the neck to the strings where it can be used to deaden them, and my right thumb is obviously holding the pick firmly to my index finger.

I can grasp that it's some way of muting the strings on up-strokes for sweeping, obviously, and to that my advice is this: Learn to lift your fingers properly, instead of trying to mute the strings with another finger. When I sweep, while still not too fast, I do it cleanly without palm muting or otherwise muting on the upstrokes, simply lift your finger just enough to deaden the string. Start slow, and find the right spot, and watch out for those god-forsaken natural harmonics that like to ruin fluid sweeps
Quote by JMKAM
Hate to hijack this in any way, but I just have to ask... What the hell is Thumb Muting? My left thumb does NOT extend over the neck to the strings where it can be used to deaden them, and my right thumb is obviously holding the pick firmly to my index finger.

I can grasp that it's some way of muting the strings on up-strokes for sweeping, obviously, and to that my advice is this: Learn to lift your fingers properly, instead of trying to mute the strings with another finger. When I sweep, while still not too fast, I do it cleanly without palm muting or otherwise muting on the upstrokes, simply lift your finger just enough to deaden the string. Start slow, and find the right spot, and watch out for those god-forsaken natural harmonics that like to ruin fluid sweeps

You're right, everything starts from lifting your fingers properly without making unwanted noise.

Personally, while playing more solo-oriented things, I mute above strings (starting from low E string) with my thumb instead of a palm as I find it more comfortable for me.

Right now we're talking about preferences, there's no right and only way Just like there's no point pushing yourself to play in an uncomfortable way as long as your method is equally effective.
__
Neal Wakefield