I realize these kind of threads are going to start clogging up 'round the holidays, but I created a thread a while back and didn't get super helpful replies.

I'm looking for fairly versatile combo amp (preferably tube) --
my budget is approx. 400 USD tops, just looking for a good practice/smallish jam amp.

I want an amp that can get

Sweet cleans
----------------------------------------------------------------
Piglet
Jazz, e.g. Joe Pass
Animals as Leaders
Post-rock, e.g. Mooncake, Collapse Under the Empire

As well as the ability to do heavy distortion
----------------------------------------------------------------
Cloudkicker
Mogwai
Animals
As
Leaders

So I kind of want to be able to do heavy distort type stuff but probably more importantly, cleans. Preferably a combo amp, as well.

I want to be able to get it new

I live near Portland, OR, if that helps.

Currently I own an Ibanez GIO series (my 6 stringer) and a Schecter Omen 8 (eight stringer) that I mostly run through a Roland Microcube.

Anyways, thanks in advance if you have any help to give!
Quote by cjmabry
Bahahahaha. Can I sig that?

Quote by Kurt Vonnegut
I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
Maybe have a look at the Vox VT range. Not proper valve amps really, but they sound decent and they're pretty damn versatile
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
If you are jamming with a drummer you need as big an amp as you do for gigging. With that budget you could do a lot worse than a Peavey Vyper Tube 60.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Vypyr Tube. No other amp out there can touch it when it comes to versatility or sound quality in that price range.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Vox ad100vt-xl
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Tech 21 amps seem pretty cool for getting a wide range of tones. They're modeling amps, but analog, not digital. Essentially this means they get the tones by emulating the sound via the circuit instead of a processor. The trademark 30 is around 300 bones new. I was fairly impressed by the sound when I tried it out in a music store.

edit: also, it has an active eq and accutronics spring reverb. If you decide you like the tone but need more volume, they make a 60w power amp combo that you can daisy chain to it.

No I don't work for them, I just think they're a cool approach to modeling and I'd probably get one if I was in the market for an amp.
Last edited by &baconstrips at Nov 25, 2011,
Egnaters are awesome! Great cleans, responsive usable overdrives, built to last, usually have a cool unusual feature. Great idea!