Hello, just rediscovered this clip from my iPhone; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11pjuCV0wPk And got really surprised that the picking came out so clean? Never mind the f***ing around in between the fast runs.

I am a 0.09 kind a guy usually playing a Ibanez Js1200 and this is an old shitty epiphone but with 0.11 and without a floyd rose. So what I am saying is that thicker strings and a thicker guitar?! Really helps your picking, I recommend everyone struggling with their picking on 0.09s to try some thicker strings. The pick I am using is a Dunlop 0.60 which also helps you a lot on defining?!? the tones clearer as you pick..

Maybe I should put up a lesson on picking if you guys like?

Sorry for my bad english....
Last edited by Gilbert_fan at Nov 24, 2011,
If you really like your 0.09 gauge, try setting the action pretty high( around 3 - 4 mm) it will clean up your playing immensely and you might like the difference in tone.

Let me tell you the biggest SECRET!

There are no magic bullets! Practice.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Nov 25, 2011,
Quote by tappooh
i admit i expected crap, but it was actually very good playing. Is it the camera or do you really pick THAT hard?

Yeah same. Well actually after reading the thread title I was ready to find spam, but I was pleasantly surprised. Wish I could play that fast :\ Ah well, it'll come with time.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Haha I can't imagine that YOU commented on this!! 6 or 7 years ago i put up my first clip ever to be on the internet playing this guitar, and you were very hard on my playing and made fun of me on this forum.. I was discouraged to pick up the guitar for months, but for some reason I picked it up again and started playing in bands and stuff..

Maybe that made me practice harder, so maybe I should thank you even though I took it kinda hard...

With that said of course I know the real secret is to practice, but my experience from practicing with 0.09s is that when playing with thicker strings and a more massive guitar it really helps you define each note to come out more clearly and phrased, worked for me and would be fun if it work for someone else

Didn't mean to sound like a idiot from the title and the post.

Quote by Freepower
Picking hard on 10s > picking softly on 9s.

I think you know what the real secret is... Practice! ( )
With that said of course I know the real secret is to practice, but my experience from practicing with 0.09s is that when playing with thicker strings and a more massive guitar it really helps you define each note to come out more clearly and phrased, worked for me and would be fun if it work for someone else

I agree totally - I'm usually on 10s with heavy bottoms, and my action is normal, not flubbing off the fretboard. Clarity > Speed!

- Oh, and congrats on really getting it together. My first experience of criticism online was just as jarring and just as useful.
Quote by Freepower
I agree totally - I'm usually on 10s with heavy bottoms, and my action is normal, not flubbing off the fretboard.

Completely agree with the action thing. While I like it quite low, the last thing you want is dead notes on bends, excessive rattle etc.

Out of interest how do you find the hyrbird strings? I've been using D'Addario .10 strings for years now but I've considered trying hybrids... Does it make it a lot harder on your left hand or is it OK? I figure they'd probably make metal riffage cleaner and easier on the right hand. Do they sound a bit uneven/bottom heavy when you play chords?
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Quote by Freepower

- Oh, and congrats on really getting it together. My first experience of criticism online was just as jarring and just as useful.

I know what you mean. It makes you get your act together when someone's really hard on you.

TS, that's really nice picking! Definitely one of my targets is to play like that. And I too expected this to be spam
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Out of interest how do you find the hyrbird strings? I've been using D'Addario .10 strings for years now but I've considered trying hybrids... Does it make it a lot harder on your left hand or is it OK? I figure they'd probably make metal riffage cleaner and easier on the right hand. Do they sound a bit uneven/bottom heavy when you play chords?

I like em, I like the sound from top to bottom. I drop tune 95% of the time and I play 7s so the stress on the left hand isn't that much worse.

To be honest I also have pretty good left hand technique and strength so I don't really mind anyway.
Quote by Freepower
I like em, I like the sound from top to bottom. I drop tune 95% of the time and I play 7s so the stress on the left hand isn't that much worse.

To be honest I also have pretty good left hand technique and strength so I don't really mind anyway.

I can relate to this.

I used hybrid slinkies, but now I use 0.10 on electric.

I use 0.12 or 0.13 on my acoustic guitar, and I can still pick on it much the same as on electric.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 27, 2011,