I've recently started on sweet arpeggios and after a while I get this pain in my wrist/lower hand, is there anything I can do to stop this or is it something everyone has to deal with?
Quote by Viban
I've recently started on sweet arpeggios and after a while I get this pain in my wrist/lower hand, is there anything I can do to stop this or is it something everyone has to deal with?

Bolded the reason.
Remember when you first began playing guitar? I'll bet ANYTHING, even something obnoxiously simple such as downpicking and fretting notes was painful, because the muscles of your hands weren't used to it. But, once they got used to it, I'll bet it stopped hurting. If not, see a doctor before continued playing.

All you need to do is keep practicing. Think of it like a Bodybuilder: They lift until they reach their limit and it hurts, cool off a bit, then go back at it. They do this over and over, and each time, their is a very slight increase in either the Weight Lifted (Equates to Speed here), or the Number of Reps Completed (Equates to stamina/how long you can continue sweeps).

Just keep at it. If it hurts, you're learning.

If it hurts a lot for a while.... however, post a video of yourself sweeping, because it may be a technique issue.
Nothing looks wrong with your technique. That's one shiny finish on yer' geetarr boi lol. Just keep at it, but don't play THROUGH the pain. Play to it, wait it out, then play when your hand's back to normal. You can either stop playing altogether while you wait the pain out, or just play something comfortable to keep yourself in the mood/warmed up.
it goes away after a couple seconds, so I just wait a second and it goes away, also the guitar is a pr1660, the ibanez rhodes edition flying v its about 26 years old as of now
Last edited by Viban at Nov 24, 2011,
Your pain could be caused by something other than the guitar playing and the sweeping could just be agrevating it.

I train gymnastics and do plenty of push ups and handstands, this puts a lot of pressure on my wrists.
Nothing looks wrong with your technique.

Sorry threadstarter, but that's incredibly sloppy. There's no point working that up to speed, you need to seriously clean that up. Good lesson here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mbx03mP5eg

Additional lesson on muting - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc

Ok, first off, which hand is the pain in? I would guess it's the left hand, judging by how much tension there is in your pinky. If not, I'd still recommend working through this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvhZ80OsuTQ - until your little finger remains fairly relaxed.
Quote by JMKAM
Bolded the reason.
Remember when you first began playing guitar? I'll bet ANYTHING, even something obnoxiously simple such as downpicking and fretting notes was painful, because the muscles of your hands weren't used to it. But, once they got used to it, I'll bet it stopped hurting. If not, see a doctor before continued playing.

All you need to do is keep practicing. Think of it like a Bodybuilder: They lift until they reach their limit and it hurts, cool off a bit, then go back at it. They do this over and over, and each time, their is a very slight increase in either the Weight Lifted (Equates to Speed here), or the Number of Reps Completed (Equates to stamina/how long you can continue sweeps).

Just keep at it. If it hurts, you're learning.

If it hurts a lot for a while.... however, post a video of yourself sweeping, because it may be a technique issue.

OK, there's certain things this applies to, and certain things it doesn't. Starting out guitar? Fine, don't overdo it and your strength will develop. Starting out with barre chords? Fine - again, don't overdo it. Starting on something that's no more physically taxing than what you'd normally play? That's a really good indication that there's something wrong with your technique.

Sweep picking arps isn't any more physically demanding than alt picking, if anything it's less physically demanding. So chances are your technique needs work at MUCH slower speeds than what you're doing in that video.

TS - your initial post wasn't very descriptive - which hand hurts, your left or your right? If it's your left, it's likely that you're trying sweeps with larger stretches than you're used to, in which case, pick less stretchy sweeps; If it is an issue with stretches, it's an issue with stretches not sweeping, in which case - it's partly down to technique and partly what JMKAM said and it just needs to be worked on. When doing that you need to pay extra attention to your thumb position and make sure it's in the middle of the back of the neck as this will generally give you the most freedom with your hand span.

If it's your right hand, or if it's nothing to do with left hand stretching, then it's likely to be that you're tensing up. You just need to relax, and practice at really, abnormally slow speeds until you're comfortable then gradually bring the speed up.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Last edited by llBlackenedll at Nov 25, 2011,
thanks for the advice on thumb position, I usually have my thumb completely wrapped around the neck, but the thumb at the middle really helps hit with the tips of my fingers instead of the pads, as for freepower, working on my technique now, the videos really helped too, thanks
Last edited by Viban at Nov 26, 2011,