How would you go about building a tone control pedal. I want it to act like the tone knob on my guitar but just in a pedal i can click on and off because a lot of my songs i can't switch my tone knob as fast as i need to and its just more of a hassle than a footswitch. So any ideas?
Gear
Guitars-
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
Paul Reed Smith Mike Mushok Baritone
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
B-52 LS-100 and Matching cab
and tons of miscellaneous stuff
Well, buy a potentiometer and a capacitor. Its super easy to wire, just check out a tone pot schematic. The tougher part would be the casing.
PRS CE22
PRS SE Santana
Fender Spalted Maple Tele
Squier Affinity Tele w.mods
Mesa Boogie Mark IV Combo + 212 Recto Cab
Homemade Ash Bass
BBE Two Timer
DUNLOP Wah
BOSS GE-7
KORG Pitchblack
MXR Dyna Comp

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Quote by Robfreitag
wah pedal?

wah =/= tone control

It should be really easy to wire, I could draw you schematic if you want. It'll be more complicated if you want any kind of boost or buffered bypass.
A schematic would be great! I've never made a pedal before so I thought this would be a good start.
Gear
Guitars-
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
Also when I looked up capasitors there were about a million of them haha. Which one should I go for?
Gear
Guitars-
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2010/Apr/Tone_Capacitors_for_Stratocasters_Part_1.aspx
Decent overview about different brands of capacitors. There's more articles about them (hence "part 1"), just do a search. Orange Drop caps seem to be the most popular and generally a safe bet. 0.022uf or 0.047uf should do.

edit: There might be a better way to do this, but I can't see anything wrong with doing it like this. It could be done with an spdt switch as well, I don't know why I drew it with an spdt.
Attachments:
wiring diagram.jpg
Last edited by &baconstrips at Nov 25, 2011,
i had the same idea, and designed a pedal to just change the EQ of the guitar signal. seems like this was the most over-board way to do what u wanted to do.

the left part is it. it works quite well, and with volume, tone, treble, bass, middle, mid freq switch, treble freq switch, and a rock/jazz/boost switch. it's pretty much a dumble style EQ with a few adjustments to be in a pedal. i use it to clean up my sound. basically cut the signal considerably, cut mids, then boost bass and treble. even with my amp's EQ set radically different, i can adjust it to accomodate.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I do have an eq pedal but I use it to shape my tone rather than for small parts that I want a fatter sound haha.
Gear
Guitars-
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
Here

Would these capacitors be alright? I would like to get them from this site because I can get everything else from here as well...
Gear
Guitars-
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
They would work, but the effect would be barely noticeable because their capacitance is rather low. 0.0047uf is a bit low, Anything 0.01-0.1uf will work better. The higher the value, the more dramatic the effect.
here

so more like this?
Gear
Guitars-
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
Alright sounds good. Ill make a new thread when I get every thing ordered in and when I get started building it.
Gear
Guitars-
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
Also I just want 500K pots right? And is 24 awg wire good?
Gear
Guitars-
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5