Hey guys. I decided to interrupt the steady stream of adbots with an always exciting "what (insert gear title here)" thread. This time i'm looking for a cabinet. I am fairly decided that I'm gonna get a used gallien kreuger R1001 which is a 700 watt amp at 4 ohms. I'm gonna need a cab to go with all of this. I do like the sound that I get out of my school's 1x15 ampeg combo and was thinking maybe another 1x15 but that is subject to change. I play alot of music but i like a lot of bass in my signal, non-scooped mids, slight treble roll-off. I like a fat sound but it needs to be slap compatible. I have a fretless p-bass and a semi-hollow Jack casady bass. my budget is right around 400USD but that can bump up a little and I am deifinitely willing to go used. any suggestions will be researched. thanks.

EDIT: i'd prefer a 4 ohm cab with a full 700 handling but if thats impossible an 8 ohm cab would be fine (i can't find the gk's 8 ohm watt output). I live near New york city.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
Last edited by will42 at Nov 24, 2011,
You are asking a hell of a lot from a single cabinet with a 700-watt @ 4 ohms amplifier. They do exist, but they ain't cheap. The GK R1001 is a fine amplifier, but it is meant to drive either a stack or an 8x10 'fridge. Your best bet will probably be an 8-ohm 4x10 cabinet at about 500 to 600 watts. Given your budget, look at used Ampeg, GK (NOT Backline!) and SWR. New, take a look at the offerings from Carvin.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
^ +1.

If you are set on having one 4 ohm cab though, Carvin and Avatar both do 4x10s rated over 700w at 4 ohms.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
If you add about 100 dollars to your budget, you can get the Avatar 212 cabinet with Ceramic speakers, which is in my opinion, a great cab.
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
I am going to concur on the Carvin suggestion. Given your budget and requirements, its going to be a great choice for you. And don't be worried about the fact that unless you live in Cali, there's not a chance to try before you buy. Their rigs and basses are solid.
One thing you're going to find is that one 15 inch speaker is not going to be very loud, even with 700 watts behind it. The clue to loudness is speaker area. The loudest amp I've owned is a Kustom 1200 watt with three 10 inch speakers, yet my 200 watt Acoustic with a 4x10 cab is almost just as loud. Id recommend getting some sort of 8ohm 4x10 cab for that head. It'll be louder than you think. Then, later, once you've assessed your needs, you can always buy another cab to go with it.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
So it seems that the general consensus is to move away from the 1x15 and look at 8 ohm 2x12 and 4x10s. the problem is that I do like the sound of the 15 inch speaker. If it really is unworkable i could look at something else. It has come to my attention the markbass has some 8ohm 400 watt 115 and was wondering if anybody has an opinion. if not i'll look into the suggestions given above.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
If you have the option for Markbass, then do it. They are seriously awesome.
Quote by c3powil
One thing you're going to find is that one 15 inch speaker is not going to be very loud, even with 700 watts behind it. The clue to loudness is speaker area. The loudest amp I've owned is a Kustom 1200 watt with three 10 inch speakers, yet my 200 watt Acoustic with a 4x10 cab is almost just as loud. Id recommend getting some sort of 8ohm 4x10 cab for that head. It'll be louder than you think. Then, later, once you've assessed your needs, you can always buy another cab to go with it.

I always had a feeling those amps were shitty, even though I never got to try them. Coming from a proud owner of a kustom g600 and a g4x10
It was a great amp for the price, as long as you didnt mind the weight.