alright im getting a 12 string boxing day but i dont no if i should get an electic or an acoustic also some good brands and models?
I think an acoustic would be better, IMHO. Whats your budget, and what music do you like?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
budgets not really amajor problem but nothing fancy preferably under 1 grand if possible but if not i can save up. and uhh i wanna do some metal ballads with it and some live stuff.
Well then electric. PRS has a 12 string. Could always go for the double neck Epi SG for lolz.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by jedke
alright im getting a 12 string boxing day but i dont no if i should get an electic or an acoustic also some good brands and models?
Are you already an acoustic player? Because it's a huge jump in strength required and difficulty in fingering from a 6 string electric light set to an acoustic 12. So you pretty much have to "keep in shape" to play a 12.

Electric 12 string sets have a .042 E-6, while acoustic 12s have either .053 (light), 0r .047 (extra light) E-6.

I think you should put some more thought into what you're going to do with the guitar before you decide.

Carvin has two A-E models: http://www.carvinguitars.com/customshop/aetwelve.php

I have no experience with them, nor do I know anyone who does. They do look really nifty, and a stripped standard model would be within your budget. As you would expect the guitars Carvin is showing, are pretty well tricked out. They also have a solid body 12.

Ibanez offers several 12 string acoustic electrics. Some people rip the sound of Ibanez acoustics when unplugged, but amped up, they're a whole different animal. They're in the $400.00 or so price range.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 25, 2011,
Honestly, an acoustic 12 string sounds so beautiful that you would never go back to an electric 12 string.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Quote by omidmash
Honestly, an acoustic 12 string sounds so beautiful that you would never go back to an electric 12 string.

generalisations are the opinions of people who think their opinions apply to everyone

it really depends what kind of thing you want, it's not as if an electric 12-string and an acoustic 12-string are the same thing. acoustic 12-strings have a huge, rich sound, electrics are generally have more of a chime in the sound, but really the differences are very much like the differences between a regular acoustic or electric guitar.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
See thats the thing the acoustics are so beautiful. i was thinking double necks anyone know any brands cheap but decent? and string gauge shant be a problem i play with 11s on my electric like the sound.
Epiphone one.

But seriously, Maton 12 String win.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"