Alrighty, so that time has come. I've played my acoustic guitar to death, I've developed a semblance of skill, and I'm certain that the six-string is for me. In the time I've been learning, my buddies have all gotten outfitted with electric basses and guitars, so I've been effectively drowned out by the amps. Naturally I felt left out, so I'm hunting for a guitar that can keep up with the cranked up amps.

So, I'm here asking for a little advice!

Since music preference can help determine what to aim for...
I'm a little different than most of the guys I jam with, because I've really taken to blues-oriented stuff since I began playing in earnest, while they all prefer a punkier, proto-metal sound.

I enjoy both sides of the above tastes, so I was hoping to find a nice guitar that could do both equally well. I was hoping to find a guitar that would be easily at home playing stuff like early AC/DC, the Rolling Stones, John Lee Hooker, and even some Ramones songs.

I had my eyes on an Epiphone Sheraton II (natural finish, played like a dream), but the $600 price tag is kind of high for me at the moment. I may not be able to spare more than $250 to start off, so what directions should I look?

PS: I really love the tone of Strats and the feel of Semi-hollows, but I'm also fond of a nice SG or Tele. As far as set-up, I prefer single coils and p90s over Humbuckers, and I appreciate the ability to handle overdrive. I'm easily the best rhythm guitarist among my buddies, but I've dabbled in lead for the sake of versatility.
Last edited by b_80_h at Nov 25, 2011,
Sounds to me that you've got your act together and you already have a good idea of what you want and what your looking for.

From what you said, I would look at a used HSS MIM strat in that price range. It has a great variety of sounds and should be able to do a little bit of everything. That should give you a starting place.

However, this is your choice to make. Go up to your local music store and try out everything you can, even things that are slightly out of your price range. Just mess around, get a feel for how different guitars play and sound. Don't walk in and play 2 or 3 guitars for a few minutes and walk out with one.

Quote by Zerox8610
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-rg350m-electric-guitar/502234

Blue model is on sale for 250 right now
Just ordered one myself. Use the coupon code "givethanks" to save another 30 and bump the total down to $220

The dude asks for a bluesy guitar and you recommend that? What?
Last edited by Strats&Cats at Nov 25, 2011,
Quote by Strats&Cats

The dude asks for a bluesy guitar and you recommend that? What?

Higher end than anything he'll get at that price point, and Ibanez are known for versatility.
Quote by Zerox8610
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-rg350m-electric-guitar/502234

Blue model is on sale for 250 right now
Just ordered one myself. Use the coupon code "givethanks" to save another 30 and bump the total down to $220

Dude, I like the look of the guitar, though I would totally pick the yellow version if I had the choice... lol

However, I don't think that configuration of pick-ups would fit well for a blues guitar. Remember, I'm looking for something that can bounce between rock and blues tones.

If I'm wrong though, feel free to correct me! lol
I'm always looking to sponge up more knowledge.
Quote by Zerox8610
Higher end than anything he'll get at that price point, and Ibanez are known for versatility.

Well, I guess tone is subjective but still... Anyway.

Quote by b_80_h
Dude, I like the look of the guitar, though I would totally pick the yellow version if I had the choice... lol

However, I don't think that configuration of pick-ups would fit well for a blues guitar. Remember, I'm looking for something that can bounce between rock and blues tones.

If I'm wrong though, feel free to correct me! lol
I'm always looking to sponge up more knowledge.

The best answer is go try out everything you can at your music store. Truth is, any guitar can play any style, you just have to figure if you like it or not. Just pick as many guitars off the shelf as you can. Try them out.
I've already got a little bit of an "arsenal" planned out, if you will... lol
At some point, I'd like to get into gigging, in some sort of blues/rock capacity.

I'd love a Strat of some sort for lead, an Epiphone Sheraton II (I swooned over this guitar), an Open-G Tele (5-string Keef-style, of course), and then possibly a humbucker equipped guitar for some overdriven punk-style rhythm (probably an SG)

Also of note: I play medium strings on my acoustic, and I prefer to tune down a half-step for tone's sake (unless I play Open G or Gb)
At the price point you're talking about, it sounds to me like you might be undercutting yourself since you already put in a lot of work to get to where you are now. Save some more money and get a MIM Strat like a Highway One. You're just going to want to upgrade anyway down the line. Check the used sections on Sweetwater, American Music Supply and Music 123. I got my Epi Les Paul Custom, which is a damn good guitar for the price, from AMS and it arrived in flawless condition. I didn't even have to have the action adjusted.
Quote by CrawlingHorror
At the price point you're talking about, it sounds to me like you might be undercutting yourself since you already put in a lot of work to get to where you are now. Save some more money and get a MIM Strat like a Highway One. You're just going to want to upgrade anyway down the line. Check the used sections on Sweetwater, American Music Supply and Music 123. I got my Epi Les Paul Custom, which is a damn good guitar for the price, from AMS and it arrived in flawless condition. I didn't even have to have the action adjusted.

For now, I'm just hoping to start out on the cheap end. I've got pricier guitars in mind for later (I'm partial to semi-hollows, so I expect to pay MUCH more), so the possibility of a cheaper axe that I can upgrade later is much more in line with what I want at the moment.
Have you considered a thinline telecaster? Squier makes a couple and I think they may be slightly out of your price range but you may want to look for a used one.
Have you checked out your local craigslist (or equivalent)? Might be able to dig up something along the lines of an Epi G-310 for that price. They're not the most exciting guitars on the planet, but they're not bad. I got one as my 2nd guitar many, many moons ago.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Have you checked out your local craigslist (or equivalent)? Might be able to dig up something along the lines of an Epi G-310 for that price. They're not the most exciting guitars on the planet, but they're not bad. I got one as my 2nd guitar many, many moons ago.

Quote by fuzzpedal
Have you considered a thinline telecaster? Squier makes a couple and I think they may be slightly out of your price range but you may want to look for a used one.

Trust me, I've been going through Craigslist at an addict's pace. I found a pair of amazing deals on there, like a Gretsch Duo Jet with a red flame maple top for $200, and a Hofner Colorama and Shorty for $125. Seems like the folks in my area seem to overvalue their SGs though, as most ads for them tend to be close to retail price (with damage)

How do those Thinlines play? I found a nice one at the music store, with a nice natural finish, but the feel didn't exactly agree with me, so I kind of put it down. I'm guilty of relying on feel over sound a little too much at times...
Here are some cheap but good strat copies!

I did a review of the strat copy on this website. You should read it!
http://www.guitarfetish.com/

These guys also make a good starter Strat copy. Pickups are kinda lame though. But it came set-up very well!
http://www.rondomusic.com/
Main Gear:

Xaviere XV-870
w/ 2 "Dream 180" Humbuckers + Mid Boost Mod + Coil Tap

Peavey Classic 30

Modified Dunlop CryBaby Wah
Digitech Bass Synth Wah
GFS Twin Overdrive
Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Line 6 DL4
Boss ME-70

Ibanez Artcore's might be as close to a Sheraton and your price range as anything mentioned thus far. Reviews and videos may help leading you to try one out. I've already got myself giddy about the whole idea considering I've also heard one through a solidstate amp and it was beautiful.
Epiphone Evolution Explorer EMG'd Euaaahhh
Fender Squier Standard Stratocaster
Peavey Vypyr 75w W/Sanpera I
Quote by Robert Gill
Here are some cheap but good strat copies!

I did a review of the strat copy on this website. You should read it!
http://www.guitarfetish.com/

These guys also make a good starter Strat copy. Pickups are kinda lame though. But it came set-up very well!
http://www.rondomusic.com/

I've gone through both of those sites, and I really like the Xavieres for the most part. Just wish I could play them.

I have to admit though, I'm a little worried about the Rondo guitars just because I'm hoping to upgrade parts because I want to, not because I would need to.

Then again, my mind might change if I could just pick up the guitar.
Quote by EpiEvoExplorer
Ibanez Artcore's might be as close to a Sheraton and your price range as anything mentioned thus far. Reviews and videos may help leading you to try one out. I've already got myself giddy about the whole idea considering I've also heard one through a solidstate amp and it was beautiful.

Oh, I played an Ibanez Artcore JF75 (I think that's the model name), and it was cheaper than my beloved Sheraton, with a nice tone. It felt good, but I'm not sure a total hollow-body is my goal at the moment. I'll probably buy it down the road, but still... lol
I do believe the AS73 is a semi hollow so it would not be experiencing all that feedback. Best of luck on your journey to find your perfect beginner guitar, you're probably going to end up with one you'll be keeping for some time to come.
Epiphone Evolution Explorer EMG'd Euaaahhh
Fender Squier Standard Stratocaster
Peavey Vypyr 75w W/Sanpera I
Quote by b_80_h
Trust me, I've been going through Craigslist at an addict's pace. I found a pair of amazing deals on there, like a Gretsch Duo Jet with a red flame maple top for $200, and a Hofner Colorama and Shorty for $125. Seems like the folks in my area seem to overvalue their SGs though, as most ads for them tend to be close to retail price (with damage)

How do those Thinlines play? I found a nice one at the music store, with a nice natural finish, but the feel didn't exactly agree with me, so I kind of put it down. I'm guilty of relying on feel over sound a little too much at times...

I really like it, the neck's a little skinny for my tastes but I've gotten used to it.
Quote by fuzzpedal
I really like it, the neck's a little skinny for my tastes but I've gotten used to it.

Would it work for a guy with larger hands? I'm not exactly a small guy, and my hands take up a lot of area.

Oddly enough, I'm a fairly strong guy, but I don't like heavier guitars...
Quote by b_80_h
Would it work for a guy with larger hands? I'm not exactly a small guy, and my hands take up a lot of area.

Oddly enough, I'm a fairly strong guy, but I don't like heavier guitars...

I also have fairly large hands and it has become pretty comfortable for me now. You may want to try one out before you buy it but I'd say if you like the tone and you like the weight it's probably worth getting. I've compared my Squier thinline to a G&L thinline that was worth about $700 (I think) through the same amp and I'd have to say I probably preferred the tone of he Squier. Everything on the Squier seems to be fairly high quality, no sharp frets, stays in tune okay, etc. It's a great guitar.
Quote by fuzzpedal
I also have fairly large hands and it has become pretty comfortable for me now. You may want to try one out before you buy it but I'd say if you like the tone and you like the weight it's probably worth getting. I've compared my Squier thinline to a G&L thinline that was worth about $700 (I think) through the same amp and I'd have to say I probably preferred the tone of he Squier. Everything on the Squier seems to be fairly high quality, no sharp frets, stays in tune okay, etc. It's a great guitar.

I'll have to add that to my list to consider. If I give it another look (especially with some cash in hand), it might entice me a lot more... lol

Any advice on solid bodies though? I'm currently stuck at home with my folks until I'm done with school and I have a few paychecks under my belt, so I'd love a guitar I can actually play in the house by way of headphones. I've been eyeing Strats, SGs, and Firebirds lately...