So, I know that UG is populated by mostly metalheads, but are their any Cat Stevens (or any folk music really, simon and garfunkel, bob dylan) fans? Alot of people seem to think he's a terrorist (because of BS news saying he wanted to kill Salman Rushdie, an author) although hes done lots of humanitarian work. I mean, he'd be ATLEAST 60 now, and in my opinion his voice has gotten even better through age.

example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jvHa5qMGHg&feature=fvst - peave train, 1970's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLG91tOLPdQ&feature=related

And with lyrics like this:

I'll always remember you like a child, girl.
You know I've seen a lot of what the world can do,
And it's breaking my heart in two,
Cause I never want to see you sad girl,
Don't be a bad girl,
But if you want to leave take good care,
Hope you make a lot of nice friends out there,
But just remember there's a lot of bad and beware,
Beware,

Oh baby baby it's a wild world,
It's hard to get by just upon a smile
Oh baby baby it's a wild world,
And I'll always remember you like a child, girl.

AND

I've been crying lately
Thinking about the world as it is
Why must we go on hating?
Why can't we live in bliss?

For out on the edge of darkness
There rides the peace train
Peace train take this country
Come take me home again
I find myself in the mood to listen to Cat Stevens when i'm terribly depressed. No idea why. Perhaps the melancholy feel of his music suits it well. But yes, he is a brilliant artist.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I furiously masturbate on public transportation.
Quote by Dirge Humani
That sure looks like a terrorist name to me.

When he tried to enter america, they refused him entry. They ended up letting him in and claimed they got him mixed up with someone else
Tea For The Tillerman is a classic album.

However, I am not sure this is in the right forum....
Haven't ever given Cat a real good listen, but I will someday. I never got the bullshit of people hating him for converting though. Its his damn choice, he advocates peace, and the Q'uran speaks out AGAINST every form of terrorism.
Quote by Myaccount876
Haven't ever given Cat a real good listen, but I will someday. I never got the bullshit of people hating him for converting though. Its his damn choice, he advocates peace, and the Q'uran speaks out AGAINST every form of terrorism.

Yeah, people think extremism is a muslim thing. Theirs plenty of christian (and other) extremists. I mean, look at that massacre that went don in texas from some bible group. I cant remeber what it was called but the group were all trained in shooting guns and thy ha assaul rifles on site, at a church. If people think muslims are anymore dangerous than christians their retards.
Quote by LordBishek
Dude's a creep, he kept asking me if I knew where the children played >_>

He wants them to take a ride on his 'peace train'
Quote by Owenlee55
Yeah, people think extremism is a muslim thing. Theirs plenty of christian (and other) extremists. I mean, look at that massacre that went don in texas from some bible group. I cant remeber what it was called but the group were all trained in shooting guns and thy ha assaul rifles on site, at a church. If people think muslims are anymore dangerous than christians their retards.

It was in Waco, Texas, they were called the Branch Davidians and they were led by a man called David Koresh, who was indeed one pretty screwed up puppy, but the problem was, the authorities were just as paranoid as he was, resulting in the gun fight and the setting fire to the buildings that the Branch Davidians occupied which led to the tradgedy of the deaths of 54 adults and 21 children.
Quote by Owenlee55

Their retards what?
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
It was in Waco, Texas, they were called the Branch Davidians and they were led by a man called David Koresh, who was indeed one pretty screwed up puppy, but the problem was, the authorities were just as paranoid as he was, resulting in the gun fight and the setting fire to the buildings that the Branch Davidians occupied which led to the tradgedy of the deaths of 54 adults and 21 children.

Thats the one, the Waco massacre. Thanks. Yeah, they rammed a friggin tank through the wall. The fuuh?
I first got into Cat Stevens back around 1970, I think it was, when I heard "Peace Train." His first few albums are good, but I lost interest after the "Foreigner" album.

And you're right, he doesn't support terrorism and the media did screw him over in it's quest to start as many food fights as possible. Cat is a Sufi Muslim and that sect is not involved in any terrorism (that tends to be the province of Sikhs, Sunnis and Shiites) AFAIK.
Of course there are folkies here.

Quote by CrawlingHorror
I first got into Cat Stevens back around 1970, I think it was, when I heard "Peace Train." His first few albums are good, but I lost interest after the "Foreigner" album.

And you're right, he doesn't support terrorism and the media did screw him over in it's quest to start as many food fights as possible. Cat is a Sufi Muslim and that sect is not involved in any terrorism (that tends to be the province of Sikhs, Sunnis and Shiites) AFAIK.

Sikhism isn't a form of Islam.
I walk the line between fantasy and reality. One is more fun, the other is where the food is.
Last edited by Cap'n Braid at Nov 25, 2011,
Quote by metacarpi
Their retards what?

Their retards should better educate them in current issues.
Quote by Owenlee55
Thats the one, the Waco massacre. Thanks. Yeah, they rammed a friggin tank through the wall. The fuuh?

Yeah, it was completely over the top. When someone has lots of guns and children in a compound, the last thing you should be doing is turning up there with lots of men with their own with guns and tanks because that's just asking for a firefight.

Anyhow, back to the subject. Yeah, I quite like Cat Stevens. His music is clearly very well written, his voice and performances are always spot on and he himself seems like a thouroughly nice bloke.
Quote by CrawlingHorror

I always thought Sikhs' was a relign, not a part of muslim faith. The more you know...
Quote by CrawlingHorror

Sikhism is not a denomination of Islam, it is a seperate religion altogether, reputed to be the fifth-largest organized religion in the world after Christianity, Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism.
Quote by Owenlee55

Not only that, but more recently, the shootings in Oslo, Norway. I mean, that guy was the complete opposite of the terrorist stereotypes. I could imagine people hearing about it at first.

Ignorant guy: Man, kids shot dead by extremist, must of been muslim.

Intelligent guy: Actually, the man was a christian.

Ignorant guy: Well, he must of supported muslim extremists right?

Intelligent guy: No. He was extremely Islamophobic and very anti-Islam.

Ignorant guy: Well I still think he might be Arabian.

Intelligent guy: F*** you, and go die you failed abortion.

Ignorant guy:
Quote by Myaccount876
Intelligent guy: F*** you, and go die you failed abortion.

I swear down to Allah that I am gonna use that phrase on somebody this weekend

Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽