Hey guys, this is my first post in the Ultimate Guitar forums so please forgive me if I have done something incorrectly.
Well, about a month ago, I received a Line 6 POD HD500 for my birthday, and I am looking for a speaker of some sort to play it through, as I plan to use it to jam along to my drummer and to play gigs with. I would like something similar to a 4x12 Marshall, or anything with 'firepower' like that, though my budget is around $500 (that is how much one costs in a catalogue I have looked at recently.) It is also essential that I can run my POD through the speaker, as that is where my guitar amps and effects will be sourced from.
If anybody can help with this, it would be greatly appreciated.
You'll need an actual amp. You can't just connect the POD to a speaker cab, there's nothing to actually amplify your signal going into the cab.
The POD has lots of slots that enable it to do this though, doesn't it? There are amp models and amp controls on the POD, so wouldn't that mean that it could do the same job as the amp?
The pod is a preamp, not a poweramp. An amplifier is two parts: a preamp and a poweramp. Like a cars Yaounde system. The CD player is the preamp, and it connects to an amp which powers the subwoofer or smaller speakers.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
If you take that route. Get a tube power amp otherwise your going to hurt peoples ears
Depends on your budget.
On the cheap, studio monitors or a keyboard amp are what you want. I'm using a keyboard amp myself, and it sounds pretty good.
You can also use a regular tube/SS amp, andn run the POD into its FX return (effectively using just the poweramp, and bypassing the amps preamp).

The best sounding solution would be a guitar cab (or FRFR cab if you want to use the POD's cab sims) mated to a rackmounted tube/SS poweramp.

Budget and location please.
Will studio monitors have enough power to be able to play with a drummer though? And my budget is roughly $500, although it looks like I might have to go a bit over at the moment. And I am in Australia.
you could try an active PA speaker
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
Look for a used 2x12 cab and a small power amp or guitar head.

being that you are in OZ you'll probably have to up your budget a few dollars unfortunately.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by hysealia1
Would a power amp like this be a good choice?
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/EP4000.aspx
Would that just plug into a cabinet, and then the rig would be set up?
Thankyou by the way, this forum has been a great help.

NO.

That is a 4000 watt poweramp. You will thermal practically any guitar speaker.

Find a guitar poweramp, or a Full Range Flat Response cabinet with a smaller poweramp, like a Matrix GT800 or Art SLA.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Ahh sorry about that, I'm not clearly not very experienced in these areas. I am looking at the SLA-1, and if I hook up the POD (via the balanced output) into the balanced input slots in the SLA-1, and then connect that to a cab, will this mean that it will run fine?
Quote by hysealia1
Ahh sorry about that, I'm not clearly not very experienced in these areas. I am looking at the SLA-1, and if I hook up the POD (via the balanced output) into the balanced input slots in the SLA-1, and then connect that to a cab, will this mean that it will run fine?

Yes.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Why not just plug your POD into the PA system when playing out? That's assuming if you are going to play gigs at places with a PA system. Then your sound will come out of the mains and you can hear yourself through a floor monitor. If you're playing without that, then...
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by Shayne777
You could always run your POD into something like a EHX 44 Magnum they are pretty decent
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/electro-harmonix-44-magnum-44w-guitar-power-amplifier
you can run your pod into the magnum into a speaker cab

That sounds like a good idea, a lot cheaper as well. Though it only has one 1/4 input for the POD to go into, though the POD has two (R and L Mono). Does this mean that it wont sound as complete as it should? :/
Quote by hysealia1
That sounds like a good idea, a lot cheaper as well. Though it only has one 1/4 input for the POD to go into, though the POD has two (R and L Mono). Does this mean that it wont sound as complete as it should? :/

it will sound fine, the pod is made to be ran mono OR stereo.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thankyou, looking at buying the Magnum and also a Marshall 4x12. The help is greatly appreciated
If you can find one, the Crate Powerblock is a great power amp for PODs. I know a guy who runs a POD >2 Crate Powerblocks> 1936 2x12 in stereo.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
+1 on the powerblock, or something similar. The Magnum really does not have the kind of headroom and features you'd want for this application. Something with a bunch of headroom and an effects loop would be ideal, and can be found cheaply since you don't need tubes or anything real fancy in the preamp.
Yes, there are. The powerblock was discontinued a few years ago, sadly. It was really the ideal amp for what you're trying to do, so do try to find one used if you can.

The Crate Flexwaves are decent clean platforms, and are cheap. You can also get just a power amp, not a head (plenty of options in that category) or even something like a bass amp head, which are designed to be squeaky clean with a hot input signal, which is your application exactly. You can definitely find this sort of thing used for very good prices.
Sorry, I think I've made you look a bit weird by deleting my post, as I was about to say something else about the posibility to use a studio monitor for the job? Though I have had a look at bass amp heads, and I have found quite a cheap one: http://www.langtoninfo.co.uk/showitem.aspx?isbn=4033653053778&loc=AUD
Sorry for all of the Behringer gear, same as last page, though they seem to be the cheapest out there. Would that kind of thing be appropriate?
That would do the trick. I would not use studio monitors, they're not made for the kind of heavy lifting that you're asking for. Behringer stuff is kind of crappy, you'd probably be better off with something a little nicer used, but if you're on a real tight budget it will definitely get the job done.
Okay, I'll have a look around. Thanks for the help guys, I don't know where I would've been without it.