Page 1 of 4
Is it possible to have more than one religion? I'd think that someone can be between two different but similar religions, (ex: two different religions that worship same god) by adopting ideas from both religions to fine-tune their beliefs.

inb4: Some person who is an atheist (nothing against them) lashing out saying religion is the worst thing ever in the world.
Awh hell yeah, bitchez that worship that Jebus dude also worship my penis
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
People 'choosing' their religion based on what they want so so mindblowingly retarded.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Myaccount876
Is it possible to have more than one religion? I'd think that someone can be between two different but similar religions, (ex: two different religions that worship same god) by adopting ideas from both religions to fine-tune their beliefs.

inb4: Some person who is an atheist (nothing against them) lashing out saying religion is the worst thing ever in the world.

Well, sure... if you're what people like to deem themselves nowadays as "spiritual".

There's a whole host of various tenets out there that pick and choose from various religions, amalgamate and say "this is what I dig... this is me".

However, speaking from the strictest religious "sense" of the word. No. So many "MAJOR" religions are 100% exclusive/inclusive" that it would be a contradiction in terms to say you're part this/part that.

Not to say it can't be done mind you... but according to the word of law as per each religion (ie. their rules) then no... lol.

Let's face it... an Islamic Jew? ... awwwwwkwwaaard!

Cas-
Probs. I'm pretty sure that in the ol' times, the ancient Romans accepted other gods from other religions and poss. worshipped them if they could get something out of it

EDIT: Don't listen to me though, I didn't pay attention at all during Classical Studies
Last edited by devourke at Nov 25, 2011,
Quote by Myaccount876

Not the worst, I'd say that.

Pretty close though.
You're pretty confused if you believe in two religions. Don't most religions say its against their religion to worship another god? Imo religion serves few purposes, and multiple religions would serve no purpose. You don't need a religion for each view on life. I'm a buddhist that believes there is no god. String theory tells me there's no need for a god nor did one exist, most likely. But I love what Buddhism has to teach so I have multiple philosophies but no religion.
I was thinking, "Yea, that would work." when I thought if there could be, lets say a lutheran muslim. It sounds contradicting but making a hybrid of ideas could work.

-They worship same god

-Islam speaks out against the idea of a religious leader (ex: Calolics have the Pope)
because they think of it as a form of idoltry (dont know if spelt right), which makes sense to me. Why the flying **** should I suck the pope's dick for forgiveness for stealing a damn cookie when I could just do the right thing morally (not take the cookie, or just straight up repent to god)

-Islam says that Jesus was a prophet but not divine and was given permission by God to do miracles instead of him being the savior like Christians, personally I don't entirely agree with the muslim idea on this one and I lean more toward the christain side.
Quote by Myaccount876
I was thinking, "Yea, that would work." when I thought if there could be, lets say a lutheran muslim. It sounds contradicting but making a hybrid of ideas could work.

-They worship same god

-Islam speaks out against the idea of a religious leader (ex: Calolics have the Pope)
because they think of it as a form of idoltry (dont know if spelt right), which makes sense to me. Why the flying **** should I suck the pope's dick for forgiveness for stealing a damn cookie when I could just do the right thing morally (not take the cookie, or just straight up repent to god)

-Islam says that Jesus was a prophet but not divine and was given permission by God to do miracles instead of him being the savior like Christians, personally I don't entirely agree with the muslim idea on this one and I lean more toward the christain side.

But that's just many different beliefs that add up to one religion, a mix between the two.
Quote by Mudmen190
But that's just many different beliefs that add up to one religion, a mix between the two.

That's what I'm trying to say, but then how would you say Lutheran Islam? Lutherslam?
Quote by Myaccount876
That's what I'm trying to say, but then how would you say Lutheran Islam? Lutherslam?

LUTHER SLAM!
Quote by Myaccount876

1. A religion is either right or it's wrong at the fundamental level. Liking a certain part of a religion has no bearing on whether it's true or not.

2. How about you just believe what you believe and not have some childish justification for why you believe it? I can think of few things that are more stupid than calling yourself a lutheran muslim.
Quote by StewieSwan
1. A religion is either right or it's wrong at the fundamental level. Liking a certain part of a religion has no bearing on whether it's true or not.

I'm going to try to explain this, it might come off wrong so bear with me.
I get what your point is, that you truly don't follow a religion if you only believe certain parts of it. What I'm trying to say is when it is just certain little details that truly seperate a religion, like German Lutherism and Sunni Islam, it may be possible to follow both. They both worship the God of Abraham, and both believe all of the stories of Moses and Isiah being prophets, and both believe there was a man named Jesus who did miracles by God, and they both condone peace and self independence in thought, but what mostly seperates them is the way the express their faith, which is what I would mainly be choosing my beliefs from.
Quote by Myaccount876

Nowadays, everyone makes their own religion anyway and it's changing every day.
Gone are the times when you would get your head smashed with a stone. That'll teach you not to work on sabbath!

Quote by Myaccount876

How did you know I was gonna say that?!?!
Quote by Myaccount876

Yes it is, but it eventualy turns into a new form of religion that has two or more influences within it.
Christianity for instance developed in this way. It took the Abrahamic religion of Judaism, added a spot of Buddhist style teaching and, once the Roman Empire took control of it, had lots of different Pagan traditions added to it.
Judaism itself looks quite likely to have a mixture of influences within it, such as polytheistic Mesopotamian and Canaanite religion and possibly monotheistic Egyptian Atenism.
Quote by Myaccount876

Stereotype much? I'm an atheist but I'd never suggest such a thing.
Believe what you feel is right. Waiting for a book or a person or a deity or a group of peers to tell you what's right to believe isn't actually believing in anything. Faith isn't something you can be told to have, really, and deciding what to think based on whether or not it fits into a religious bracket is a horrible bit of criteria to go by.

What always gets me pissed off is when I hear people say things like "Oh, I'm going to confession, gotta get my sins off my chest so Jesus will let me into Heaven."

As if doing something specifically to get a good payout as opposed to doing it because you believe it's the right thing to do is morally sound?

Anyway, think about how you view the world, relate it to your ideals, and believe in that. I never really found a need for secular or organized religion, myself. Faith isn't something you get from groups of people or books, and it sure as hell isn't something given out like candy to well behaved children for half sleeping through a couple hours of prayer a week inside a temple/church, etc, in my opinion.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Actually, there is some religions where this may be possible with amalgamating the ideas of two or "picking and choosing".
Although most religions do say in their doctrine that are exclusive (i.e. belonging to one and only one) there are also some that, due to the ancient nature of them, are hereditary.

Specifically, Hinduism will pass on through the males (so if your father is Hindu, then by blood, if not by practice, you are Hindu). This is because Hinduism is over 5000 years old and on some level considered a race as well as a religion.
Similarly, Judaism will pass on through the females of the family (if your mother is Jewish, again you are Jewish by blood at least). Again this is due to the age of the religion, but also that it was originally started among the Semite people, who felt hat breeding outside of their race was impure, creating a racial divide between Jews and non-Jews.

Anyway, people can argue whether religions can be racial as well, but technically speaking, if you have a Hindu father and a Jewish mother you are, at least by blood, part of both religions. (This is not a completely made up scenario, I in fact know someone of this exact origin!)
Quote by Myaccount876

-They worship same god

That makes no sense. If you think Jesus is just a prophet, you can't be a Christian. If you think he is divine, you can't be a Muslim.

Quote by Puppet_616
Anyway, people can argue whether religions can be racial as well, but technically speaking, if you have a Hindu father and a Jewish mother you are, at least by blood, part of both religions. (This is not a completely made up scenario, I in fact know someone of this exact origin!)

Being religious 'by blood' is even more retarded.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

I love you more than life itself.
Last edited by catempire at Nov 25, 2011,
Quote by catempire
That makes no sense. If you think Jesus is just a prophet, you can't be a Christian. If you think he is divine, you can't be a Muslim.

Fcking logic, how does it work?!

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Stereotype much? I'm an atheist but I'd never suggest such a thing.

Sorry my bad! Didn't mean to stereotype you but I'm talking about the atheists who are ASSHOLES who get off on bashing religion. I know that is only a minority of atheists, but they're out there and I could tell you aren't one of those assholes.
Only after upgrading your religions pouch.
I walk the line between fantasy and reality. One is more fun, the other is where the food is.

What always gets me pissed off is when I hear people say things like "Oh, I'm going to confession, gotta get my sins off my chest so Jesus will let me into Heaven."

As if doing something specifically to get a good payout as opposed to doing it because you believe it's the right thing to do is morally sound?

QUOTE]

Exactly why I'll never be a catholic. Nothing against ordinary catholic people, because they are real believers but the heads of the catholic church are so corrupt and criminals that its not even funny.
You can pick and choose what you believe in, but I don't know how many churches/temples will accept you as part of their religion if you do.
Quote by Cap'n Braid
Only after upgrading your religions pouch.

He should focus more on successfully blending. Is there a bench near by?

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by Myaccount876
Sorry my bad! Didn't mean to stereotype you but I'm talking about the atheists who are ASSHOLES who get off on bashing religion. I know that is only a minority of atheists, but they're out there and I could tell you aren't one of those assholes.

HEY! I bash religion for very good reasons, thank you very much.
Quote by catempire

Being religious 'by blood' is even more retarded.

That shows me you haven't really read everyone's post in their entirely. You would notice the posts were talking about being of two religions by "cherry picking" little details like that, not being a very straightforward follower of one religion.
I can't see how it's possible to have two religions, so no.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Quote by Mudmen190
HEY! I bash religion for very good reasons, thank you very much.

Why, did religion hurt you? Unless the pope touched your pee pee. (Joke)

But seriously the only ways that I could understand your "very good reasons to bash religion" is if you or someone you know was molested by a catholic priest, or if someone close to you died in the 9/11 attacks, but those terrorists are EXTREMISTS who aren't true followers of Islam.
Quote by Myaccount876

But seriously the only ways that I could understand your "very good reasons to bash religion" is if you or someone you know was molested by a catholic priest, or if someone close to you died in the 9/11 attacks, but those terrorists are EXTREMISTS who aren't true followers of Islam.

Really? You can't imagine why someone wouldn't speak favorably about something they don't agree with, but governs the lives and minds of millions of people in a way they feel is wrong?

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Cherry picking all the best bits of various religions..... hmmm, sounds a little bit self serving....but whatever, believe what ya want, I don't think anybody really would give a shit.
[
Quote by Myaccount876

You're just not very bright, are you? Or maybe you're just ignorant of the influence religion has even on the non-religious.
Quote by Skuzzmo
Cherry picking all the best bits of various religions..... hmmm, sounds a little bit self serving....but whatever, believe what ya want, I don't think anybody really would give a shit.

Does the self-serving man surprise you?
I walk the line between fantasy and reality. One is more fun, the other is where the food is.
Quote by Myaccount876
That shows me you haven't really read everyone's post in their entirely. You would notice the posts were talking about being of two religions by "cherry picking" little details like that, not being a very straightforward follower of one religion.

That shows you haven't thought this through. If you read my post, you would notice that there will inevitably be a sticking point when combining Christianity and Islam which cannot be worked around. Therefore, (to actually answer the question you posed in the thread) you cannot be both. You can pick out elements of Islam, but that does not make you a Muslim. You may have some watered down, pseudo-spiritual 'combination' religion if you really want to, but I can't see the point.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

Let's generalize a bit more.

They all worship the same concept of god. A higher being that created the world.
Quote by catempire
That shows you haven't thought this through. If you read my post, you would notice that there will inevitably be a sticking point when combining Christianity and Islam which cannot be worked around. Therefore, (to actually answer the question you posed in the thread) you cannot be both. You can pick out elements of Islam, but that does not make you a Muslim. You may have some watered down, pseudo-spiritual 'combination' religion if you really want to, but I can't see the point.

the point is..well.. i guess you have to see it from the believer's perspective. imagine being able to include science and religion into one idea. it's easy really.
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Quote by Harvey Swick
the point is..well.. i guess you have to see it from the believer's perspective. imagine being able to include science and religion into one idea. it's easy really.

Of course. You can alter your religious beliefs and interpretation of texts etc. in order to make it more scientifically accurate. But if you do the same thing with a second religion it doesn't really work. As in the example earlier, if you drop the whole 'son of God' part from Jesus' story, you're half-arsing it, and can't really call yourself a Christian.

Quote by Myaccount876

This implies that we should only care about an issue if we are personally affected. Most people aren't that self-centred.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

Page 1 of 4