Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding modification of basically any guitar effects pedal, and if what I´m asking for is actually possible or not. The modification is to result in a specific function that I am looking for.

An explanation of the function is as follows:
- A guitar is plugged into a guitar effects pedal, and the pedal in turn is plugged into an amp. Nothing weird so far, right?
- The pedal is in off mode, so the only thing you hear from the amp is the clean amplified sound from the guitar when you strum a chord.
- Next, you push the pedal switch down and hold it there, strumming a new chord, this time producing the sound of the guitar with the effect added to it.
- You release the pedal switch again to go back to strumming another clean (non effect) chord.

Basically, what I want to know is, is it possible to modify an effects pedal to give the desired behavior as described above, so when you want to use the effect pedal you don´t have to tap it multiple times, instead just holding it down to get the effect, and then release it to make the effect stop? (Longest sentence ever?)

My description of this issue is probably a bit over the top, but I have tried to search for this on many websites across the internetz and I have come up short each time.

If you know anything about guitar pedal modification and actually know what you are talking about regarding this topic, please feel free to post me a reply and enlighten me.

Thanks
Yes it's possible by replacing the switch with a momentary switch, but why can't you just strum press strum press strum?
Quote by dj1991
Yes it's possible by replacing the switch with a momentary switch, but why can't you just strum press strum press strum?

I want to use the effect in very short "bursts" (and not necessarily strum the chords).

I know absolutely nothing about electronics (besides the basics that you learn in school), and so I´m also interested in knowing if this mod can be done by the "local music shop". Yes, that question sounds very naive, but anyway...
Yeah sure they can. You can also get someone to build you a bypass loop with a momentary switch and put the pedal in that loop so you don't have to mod the pedal itself so you can also still use it the 'normal' way.