hi guys,

ive recently been looking into buying a new amp and i have narrowed down my choice to jet city amps JCA5212RC or a laney LC50. they are about the same price and i want to know what youd recommend. does the JCA's minimalist approach garuantee it to be better for the money?

i play mostly funk rock, alt rock and a bit of hard rock and blues but i would love to get a John Frusciante clean tone (slightly distorted/broken up, this i the tone i want: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2op4142irWw ) but i would also love to be able to get nice distortion when needed. im guessing the jet city amp has similarly good compared to the laney distortion but im getting a little big muff and a digitech hardwire sc-2 or boss ds-2 soon anyway.

i generally dont play other people music but john frusciantes tone is something special to me. i also like hendrix and slash style overdrive and maybe a bit of eric clapton from the cream era.

i see advantages in both of the amps. the jet city has two speaker (better for gigs) but the laney has two inputs, a high and a low. the laney also has a bright switch (doesnt really matter to me as i probably wont use it) and a modern distortion switch.

which amp would give me the tone i want best? frusciante uses marshalls, is it true that laneys are more marshall voiced or am i just making it up in my head? which amp has higher quality tubes in it (im guessing the JCA coz of its minimalist approach)?
laney
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
That Jet City is soposed to have a really good Clean chanel. Look up Soldano Lucky 13 demos. That is what the clean ch is soposed to be.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by itamar100
can you further explain your reason for this?

No Iwas just getting your thread going

laney
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Haven't tried the LC50, but if it's anything like the LC30, I'd rather have the Jet City.

When it comes to Laney, you want to look into the VC/GH/VH range of amplifiers. The VC50 and anything GH or VH should be worth a try for you.
Quote by Guitarbaddie
budget?

$800-$900.

what about the laney ironheart 60w combo?

i think ill probably get the jet city but please carry on suggesting if you have any ideas that you consider better/worthy of considering.

EDIT: i'd like it to stay at $800 unless you have a really good suggestion cause in israel everything is overpriced. i might consider thomann though, they take away the VAT for international shipping
Last edited by itamar100 at Nov 25, 2011,
Quote by itamar100
ok, thanks. would the jet city actually be better for the tone i want?

Nope. The Laneys as well as the Jet City get pretty close. The Laneys might actually be closer, but we're talking about differences where personal preference is far more important than what will make you sound more like Slash. Because either will if you know what you're doing.

EDIT: If you want to order from Thomann, consider the Traynor YCV50B. They offer it at a good price. It's similar to the Laneys and Jet Citys. Not as gainy, but easily enough for what you want to do, and it comes with a better speaker than the Jet City.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Nov 25, 2011,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
laney, jet city, traynor, etc

thats generally what we've been talking about...

i think ill go for the jet city cause i love how warm it sounds especially on clean and unless i buy the traynor from abroad its also cheaper and has split payment over 36 months. i think itd suit my needs best