Hi,

I'm going to change strings and wanted to clean the fretboard with some lemon oil, I just wondered how I am supposed to do this because I've read several times that taking of all the strings at once causes the neck to go wild? Should I change one string at a time as recommended and try to clean the little space given when changing a string? Or just take them all of and clean?
Bro that is only for like super old and delicate guitars hey. Take em all off and get in there with some fretboard condish'
The guitar has been my best friend since I was 9 years old. I have spent more time with my instrument than any human being.
Taking off all the strings at once will not hurt a guitar.

The only time it can be a problem is if you don't know what you're doing with a floating bridge.

Not a good idea to leave them off for a long time, though.
I usually replace my strings one at a time, regardless of the bridge. I find it easier to tune each string to where it belongs without having to chase each string as the neck flexes back to "home."

To clean the fretboard, I lightly spray some lemon oil on it and then run a microfiber cloth up and down under the strings. This helps keep the oil off the strings too.

I then finish up by running GHS fast fret over the strings and applying it to the towel to hit the bottoms of the strings. This is important because if strings only corrode on the underside, it will be harder to "feel" but your playing will suffer.
I wanted to take my strings off all at the same time, but I only have two hands.
It's fine if:

- you don't leave the guitar with no strings on for too long. The neck will warp.
- you block off the floating bridge.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by RebuildIt
I wanted to take my strings off all at the same time, but I only have two hands.

I only have 2 hands, too, but one
(Invalid img)

Bolt Cutter.

Easy.
Quote by jetwash69
I only have 2 hands, too, but one
(Invalid img)

Bolt Cutter.

Easy.

TS, just make sure you loosen them first. First time (don't hate it was first time, I was a n00b) I tried being a badass and cut three strings at the same time. Now I have 3 dents in my wall.......
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
When I take all the strings off at once for a cleaning I either pre-loosen my Truss Rod a 1/4 turn (only to readjust after stringing and tuning to pitch) or expect to be living with some string buzz for a day or two.
The problem is there are two forces at work here to balance out the neck. The string tension vs the truss rod tension. When you remove one (all the strings for eg) the truss rod has no opposing force and the neck bows removing any relief and perhaps even going beyond straight to the opposite of relief. It does this rather quickly because nothing is counteracting it.
When you string and return to pitch the counteracting force returns but the neck doesn't come back as quickly into relief becuase there are once again two opposing forces at work.
If you leave the truss rod alone the neck willeventually settle back to it's original position (assuming string guag and pitch are the same as before) but it may take a day or two.
This effect has some people claiming new strings buzz.

So if no cleaning is needed, changing one string at a time should keep your neck relief more constant.
Moving on.....
Quote by JKHC
TS, just make sure you loosen them first. First time (don't hate it was first time, I was a n00b) I tried being a badass and cut three strings at the same time. Now I have 3 dents in my wall.......

Yeah, that was just a joke. Seriously, if you're going to cut them without loosening them first, then you better have on eye protection.

BTW 1, there's no reason to ever to that.

BTW 2, my boltcutter never gets within 3 feet of any of my guitars.
1. if you remove all the strings at once, there's a greater chance that the neck will relax.

2. so if YOU HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO SET UP A GUITAR. and want to keep the guitar playing the same as it is now, then swap one string at a time.

3. if you dont believe me. then read the thousands of posts in the setup thread, at the top of the page.

good luck

Jen
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
If your frets are dingy, polish them up with super fine steel wool (0000) and then follow that with some polishing compound. Tape off the fretboard with painters tape, of course. The frets will look brand new. That always enhances the look of a guitar.
ESP Eclipse II SW - D'Addario 11-49 Eb
LTD F-400FM - Ernie Ball 12-56 C#
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX