so i'm still relatively clueless as to what the different gauges and winding(ie round wound vs flat wound and thicker gauges vs thinner) i've dabbled all over the place and havent noticed much difference spare for the fresh string sound until i drop my tuning, as it stands with my 5 string which has on it 40,60,75,95,125, the sound get rather weak and just flat, would thicker strings be the solution to that or adjusting my action which hasn't been touched since i bought it professionally serviced and such
Hi helsem, a couple of questons:

1 - What kind of bass do you have?

2 - What's the bass' scale length? (measure from the front of the nut to center of the 12th fret, then double, that's your scale).

3 - How low do you drop the tuning?

Flatwound strings have flat windings rather than round windings so they are easier on fretless boards and will sound more mellow and jazzy.

All things being equal, thicker (heavier gauge) strings require more tension. If your main problem is with the low B, try replacing it with heavier gauge (130 - 145). This will probably require some adjustment to the string nut though, the string will probably have to be re-intonated and the action might need to be adjusted.

However, all things are usually not equal in the string world. Different string companies make strings with different tensions, even if they are the same gauge. You might try calling around to these companies to explain your issue and ask for suggestions.

String brands also sound different. Rotosounds are, in my perception, more piano-like in tone, while flatwound Thomastiks are pretty mellow.

Raising the action might help, though you'll probably need to re-intonate the string(s) too.

Also, if the low B is sounding flat, check how high your pickups are. Fret the last fret and measure the distance between the bottom of the low B and the top of each pickup. Sometimes looser strings are affected by the magnets just enough to them go flat or sound a little funny.

Low B strings are pretty finicky too, especially when drop-tuned.