I'm getting noiseless pickups for my strat. I understand what "hot" pickups are, but is it worth it to get them if I'm not going to play super heavy metal or hard rock with them? (I use my strat in a worship band for my church)
It really depends. Do you feel the need to have more powerful, higher-output pickups? If so then the "hot" ones are for you. If not, just stick to the standard ones.

what pickups are you looking at?
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
hot pickups will give you a more searing tone, but still give you the flexibility to back off and smoothen out when you need to, especially on a strat.
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

Fender Noiseless pickups.. can't stand the hum. I want the classic strat sound, so I'm guessing I don't want the hot pickups?
Higher output pickups are for people wanting to drive an amp more. If you just want a Strat tone with minimal hum then get the Vintage Noiseless ones. Hot Noiseless are more for blues and hard rock.
Quote by grohl1987
Higher output pickups are for people wanting to drive an amp more. If you just want a Strat tone with minimal hum then get the Vintage Noiseless ones. Hot Noiseless are more for blues and hard rock.

Thanks!
2010 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2011 PRS SE Santana limited edition of 25
2007 Ibanez SZ520QM-VCB
2009 Washburn Renegade WM23
Vox 20W Valvetronix

Quote by grohl1987

I'd stay away from fenders Vintage Noiseless. They're pretty bland for the money.
Quote by Strats&Cats
I'd stay away from fenders Vintage Noiseless. They're pretty bland for the money.

what pickups can I grab then that will keep the orignal (or close to original) strat sound?
2010 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2011 PRS SE Santana limited edition of 25
2007 Ibanez SZ520QM-VCB
2009 Washburn Renegade WM23
Vox 20W Valvetronix

I like the Dimarzio Area pickups, they are completely noiseless and they sound like vintage strat pickups. The best I've ever heard.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by john.pratt1321
what pickups can I grab then that will keep the orignal (or close to original) strat sound?
Vintage Noiseless. People say they're bland because when you change pickups you're usually trying to get a change in tone and have a particular tone in mind you want to achive. Fender's Hot Noiseless and Vintage Noiseless pickups are designed to simply be a basic, standard Strat tone.
So of course when someone wants a particular tone and they put the Fender pickups in they say they sound bad because they don't give any kind of treble boost or bass boost or whatever else the person wants. But if a plain, standard Strat tone is what you want then the Fenders do that. Seymour Duncan hum-cancelling singles tend to add a lot of treble and DiMarzio ones tend ot add a lot of bass, even the ones that both companies claim sound just like regular Strat pickups. The Fenders are in the middle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHHY3eRUMsM&feature=related

Jeff Beck uses the Hot Noiseless in that guitar, you can hear the extra power those have later in the track once he puts the volume up. The Vintage Noiseless are the same sort of tone but with less output.
a noiseless single coil is really just a stacked humbucker.

it's not gonna sound the same as a regular single coil.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer