Hey so ive done this thread a couple of times but its coming to the time where i have to choose so i know its not much of a budget but i have about £170 to blow on an amp, I play metal/hard rock and a bit of rhcp (but only a bit) but mostly Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, that sort of stuff, and i am aware of the obvious ones like the peavey vypyr, the marshall mg, the line 6 spider but ive been quite interested in the Vox Valvetronix VT series??
what do yous think any of them amps or another?
Thanks people
Last edited by NathanBell at Nov 25, 2011,
As a player who doesn't really play live at all (I'm considering upgrading for that atm though), I love my Line 6 Spider III. Built in distortion channels and you can even save your tones on it as well.

My only warning is that, in about a year, the motherboard died on me and I take EVERY precaution to shutdown/unplug properly. Still, a decent amp for the price.
i have the line 6 spider iv 15w had no problems with it at all and sounds fantastic with metal like megadeth and sht, has a great crunch tone for older stuff like hendrix and led zep, and good clean tone aswell, although i gotta say its my only amp so there might be better amps out there i dont know but if you need a decent amp i'd reccomend the spider
hmmm yeah ive heard alot of bad about the spiderthough, out of the ones mentioned i like the sound of the vox vt40 (i think) unless theres a better amp for a bit of metal that i dont know about
Vypyr

/thread

PS: Shame on you kids recommending a Spider.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
i have the spider 3 and i think it is crap for the following reasons:

1. you'll think it's amazing for ages until the processor and motherboard keep glitching and restarting the amp, or getting stuck when changing amp channels. Doesn't always happen but enough to be unreliable and annoying.

2. It is EQd to be very bassy to start with, the celestion speaker in it is good, but they messed up with the pre-amp modelling imo - all are bass frequency biased.

3. follows from 2 that unless you are playing a naturally bright guitar in standard or Eb tuning, clarity suffers - my ibanez RG tuned to drop C always sounds muddy through it, and my strat in D standard was acceptable, but after i tuned my RG to B - and downtuning in metal is almost a staple these days - it was so unclear and woofy.

4. the effects - Fake sounding, all of them, Line 6's pod range and its m5/m9/m13 multifx have way better effects, don't know why the ones on this amp sound so processed and fake, but some make you sound like a keyboard.

5. Try playing along with a drummer using this amp and the above 4 problems all manifest when you have the volume cranked - it mushes out - speaker can manage but the amplified bassy, crappy effect laden, unclear sound, sounds terrible

Alternatives - Line 6 pod through a powered cab or Vox valvetronix or peavey vypyr - all are MUCH better than the spider 3
the vyper is nice for metal, but the clean/low gain settings aren't that great. The Vox is pretty nice and can do your RHCP fine, but its metal tones are not as good as the vyper. You need to choose which is more important to you.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
well yes i play alot more metal rather than rhcp however the clean on the vypyr is rather.....shit but, i dont mind the metal settings on the vox, is there not some sort of amp that does both? hmm
Look for a used vox ad100vt-xl
There better than a vypyr or line 6 by far.

Like this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOX-VALVETRONIX-AD50VTXL-COMBO-AMPLIFIER-AD50-VT-XL-/190606206432?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6103e5e0

I cant find any 100 watt ones but the 50 watters nice too only downside is the 50 watter dont have an efx loop.

Still the xl has great high gain models and the clean and crunch models are very nice!
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by themelodicdeathshow at Nov 25, 2011,
We used some of the new Voxes at my old school, they were pretty good for metal I found (after the first generation they seemed to just chuck a load more metal channels on) but only in the way that mediocre school equipment is. It'll make any sound, just not particularly well
I have a housemate that has the first gen vox vt - and even with only 3 "metal" channels it is by far the best out of the vypyr and the spider 3. - cleans are the best, sound is deep but clear, and the effects are a lot more convincing
Quote by nigeltheginger
We used some of the new Voxes at my old school, they were pretty good for metal I found (after the first generation they seemed to just chuck a load more metal channels on) but only in the way that mediocre school equipment is. It'll make any sound, just not particularly well

HA! you got vox's for school well i envy you indeed we have a behringer 15watt analogue amp from about 2005 i think and its so shit, to best describe it a tin of shit
Quote by rroastbeef
i have the line 6 spider iv 15w had no problems with it at all and sounds fantastic with metal like megadeth and sht, has a great crunch tone for older stuff like hendrix and led zep, and good clean tone aswell, although i gotta say its my only amp so there might be better amps out there i dont know but if you need a decent amp i'd reccomend the spider

no
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
check out the fender mustang series. haven't tried one myself but many people seem to really like them. may not be as good as the vypyr for metal but i hear it's got some decent sounds. cleans are supposed to be excellent.
I hear Peavey Vyprs are great for metal, but I prefer Roland Cube amps because they are very versatile and reliable.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Vypyr Cleans are shit now? Didn't get that memo.

This thread is a trainwreck.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Vypyr Cleans are shit now? Didn't get that memo.

This thread is a trainwreck.
This.

The clean models on my Vypyr 15 (15, no less) that I use in my vacation place actually manage to sound better than my dad's old Fender Champ 12. Just because the Vypyr is known mostly for it's hi-gain models, that doesn't automatically make the cleans worthless.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
This.

The clean models on my Vypyr 15 (15, no less) that I use in my vacation place actually manage to sound better than my dad's old Fender Champ 12. Just because the Vypyr is known mostly for it's hi-gain models, that doesn't automatically make the cleans worthless.

I second this. I've owned 2 roland cubes and 1 vox valvetronix. Both of the rolands were good, but not as good as the vypyr. I took the valvetronix back to the store the day after I bought it; something about it just didn't sound right. The clean channels on the vypyr are great, metal channels are particularly awesome and the crunch channels are awesome too. For the price, you can't go wrong with the vypyr. Only thing, is updating the software though--and it does glitch sometimes.
Quote by afrika18
I second this. I've owned 2 roland cubes and 1 vox valvetronix. Both of the rolands were good, but not as good as the vypyr. I took the valvetronix back to the store the day after I bought it; something about it just didn't sound right. The clean channels on the vypyr are great, metal channels are particularly awesome and the crunch channels are awesome too. For the price, you can't go wrong with the vypyr. Only thing, is updating the software though--and it does glitch sometimes.

I never had a single problem with my vypyr glitching.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Get the Vyper, they sound great. Another thing to look for is a possible Line 6 Flextone II or III. They are much better than most people give them credit for.
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
Garrentee half the people here never even played what they are suggesting and are bandwagoning. I say go to your music shop and try what sounds best to you. Play each for a bit, get a feel for dialing each in, and really get what you can out of them. Rule out the ones you don't like and just pick the ones you do.

I will say the Spider is quite harsh and may wear on you after a while of prolonged playing so you might leave it and want to pick something else that's just my experience with a bandmate owning one. The vypyr is a nice amp and does everything pretty decently. Still pick what best sounds to YOU.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by kylendm
Garrentee half the people here never even played what they are suggesting and are bandwagoning. I say go to your music shop and try what sounds best to you. Play each for a bit, get a feel for dialing each in, and really get what you can out of them. Rule out the ones you don't like and just pick the ones you do.

I will say the Spider is quite harsh and may wear on you after a while of prolonged playing so you might leave it and want to pick something else that's just my experience with a bandmate owning one. The vypyr is a nice amp and does everything pretty decently. Still pick what best sounds to YOU.

meh, **** bandwagons.

I personally think all of them sucks. After you play something good for awhile, it all sounds like poo.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
wat
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
I used to have a Spider IV 75w. It sounds great to a person who hasn't played many other amps. The thing, however, is it doesn't seem great for long. You will get tired of it pretty quickly when you realize how your tone seems like more and more mush the more you play it. I can't say anything about the Peavey or the Vox, though.
Avoid Line Six Spyder's. They just sound digital, harsh and when you play the insane channel it's like bee's in a tin can.

Not played a Vyper or a Cube so I can't give my opinion on them.

But the Vox VT is worth a look
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Guitarbaddie

I personally think all of them sucks. After you play something good for awhile, it all sounds like poo.

I think it's about perspective. I got a chance to play a Diezel VH4 for a while a few days ago, and while it's one of the best amps I have ever played, I think my Vypyr Tube still sounds ridiculously good for how much it costs.

The main thing that stood out to me about the Diezel wasn't so much it's tone, which would be the obvious thing to check, but how harmonic and feedbacky it is. I was playing with the volume on like 9 o'clock, and even then, the harmonic feedback was just the best thing I've ever heard in any amp. It was ridiculous, and GAS sucks.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I think for someone who is a beginner, the Spider is great as it's straightforward, easy to use, has distortion (as opposed to other cheap beginner amps that have none), it doesn't sound good at all but that doesn't matter since 99% of beginners don't yet have an ear for tone. The Vypyr is very advanced and hard to used with unfamiliar terms that will confuse a beginner easily.

But for someone who is already an experienced guitarist and knows good tone, the Vypyr is far superior to the Spider, which is why I recommend it over a Spider.
Quote by Offworld92
I think it's about perspective. I got a chance to play a Diezel VH4 for a while a few days ago, and while it's one of the best amps I have ever played, I think my Vypyr Tube still sounds ridiculously good for how much it costs.

The main thing that stood out to me about the Diezel wasn't so much it's tone, which would be the obvious thing to check, but how harmonic and feedbacky it is. I was playing with the volume on like 9 o'clock, and even then, the harmonic feedback was just the best thing I've ever heard in any amp. It was ridiculous, and GAS sucks.

Yeah, if were talking price that is one thing. I just sold my 15w to some kid for $40 cause he was going to get some 10w rocktron amp instead.

Plus, I live like, right behind a tavern, and that is my only neighbor, and they closed all day til nighttime, so I just crank my amp all day.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90