I am about to buy an amp head. The Boogie MK V to be exact. The thing is, I will not be buying a cab to go with it today. The head is marked down and on special so this is my one chance to buy it. So my question here is:

Can you hook up the MK V into regular speakers? They're like... regular speakers. The ones you use at parties and PA systems and such. I'm thinking probably not because of the huge wattage difference but I need a more... professional answer?

Thanks in advance.
Don't risk it at all. I've read some shiz about it, just don't

Buy a real cab
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Yeah, I wasn't planning on it without a solid answer on the subject. I'm still waiting for more though.

Also, how would I know what cab to get?
Well, I trust you dropped quite a bit of money on that MK V, correct?

Compliment it with a good cab.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
if uve got the cash just run it through an orange ppc 412. that would probably make for a pretty nice pairing. that or a top end marshall cab.
If the impedance is correct, you could run it through a pa speaker. would probably sound terrible though.
I wasted all my cash on the head, due to it being on some special. I won't be buying a cab too soon but I will get one ASAP. Is there a cab you guys would recommend? I play in a metal band.
I'd rather wait until I get one... although I can hardly wait...
Does it make most sense to buy matching cab and head or can I just get a cheap cab and a nice amp head?
2010 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2011 PRS SE Santana limited edition of 25
2007 Ibanez SZ520QM-VCB
2009 Washburn Renegade WM23
Vox 20W Valvetronix

Quote by denied
You can buy a junky cab, but why would you do that? Running a nice amp through a bad cab is going to sound bad.

You could always pick up a used budget avatar 2x12 for now, and then upgrade later.

This. Avatar cabinets are great sounding and budget priced.

Do not buy a cheapo 4x12 because you think it looks cool, your sound will be bad and you will feel bad.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
if your in the usa, look up avatar and whitebox cabs. custom cabs with custom color and tolex, and choice of speakers for ery reasonable prices. u could pickup a sick 2x12 for about $450 with v30's (and they have like 10 other speakers u can choose from) from avatar
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
When you have the money look up Port City. They make some of the best sounding cabs I've ever heard. And you can totally get a 2x12 cab that puts out a monster wall of sound like a 4x12 from them! It saves you lugging a hugh piece of gear around and again sounds awesome.
I was looking at a VOX Night Train 15W head & matching cab (1x12) which was $200. What do the Avatar cabs go for?
2010 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2011 PRS SE Santana limited edition of 25
2007 Ibanez SZ520QM-VCB
2009 Washburn Renegade WM23
Vox 20W Valvetronix

Quote by clwnz
Can you hook up the MK V into regular speakers? They're like... regular speakers. The ones you use at parties and PA systems and such.

you'll need the cabinet you choose to have a 1/4" for a speaker cord (instead of like the hi-fi, home stereo speaker cable with spliced ends; if you have this stuff, they you'll need to put a 1/4" adapter on the cable). now, tube guitar amps tend to have an output transformer that wants to see a 8 or 16 ohm load; 'normal' speaker cabs tend to be 8, 4 or 2 ohms.

now, if impedance is appropriate (needs to match amp output) and connectors are correct (1/4") then you should be able to use the cabinet with the head.

caveats include:

- it sounds like pretty stiff and sterile
- some PA and stereo cabs are 2-way or 3-way, guitars won't use all that extra frequency range
- hi-fi speakers are built differently and have a bit more chance of blowing out (due to voice coil config) so you don't want to push them like guitar speakers.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
If the speakers are under powered and you blow them you could easily blow up your amp. You need to check the power rating and the impedance. If it matches up with the amp (you really want the speakers to be able to handle at least 50% more power than the amp's rating) you can use them, they will sound crap but it will work. PA speakers of the right rating won't blow, hifi speakers may.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
(you really want the speakers to be able to handle at least 50% more power than the amp's rating)

i am pretty abusive to guitar speakers, but if you are using house speakers then this is very good advice cuz their voice coil setup will allow for speaker's excursion to push the cone right out of it's own basket (it's overhung voice coil). and in general, anything but guitar speakers will sound really crappy/harsh when pushed into distortion
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae