So I've just picked up a Squier Fat Straton eBay for a pretty good price, with the intention of replacing it with a black top strat in a few months when I have the cash, as I could do with an electric again for college. Anyway it got me thinking as I really like building guitars up and messing around with them, would it be possible to fit a genuine fender neck to my squier body? I know there's some issues with heel being a slightly different size, but is this only an issue on affinity models? If it would fit with little or no modifications, I'm quite tempted to just replace all the hardware with much higher quality fender parts.

Another question is would removing the tone pots effect the sound at all? I would like to take them out as they're completely useless to me and the volume pot is in an awkward place. If not I guess I would just remove the knobs and hide then under the pickguard, and move the volume down one space.
Last edited by fooby. at Nov 25, 2011,
As far as I know the heel is only an issue with Jagmasters and Affinities.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Cheers. Good to know as that would be one of the most important upgrades. Can anyone point out to me what the major differences between the fat strat body and a fender one would be?
I read somewhere that even with tone pot completely up, the cap is still filtering some highs. So yes it will affect the sound.
The easiest way around this, would be to disconnect one leg of the capacitor.
You can have the tone pots hidden behind scratchplate with volume pot in tone1's place like you planned.
Wont be the prettiest way to do it, but will work.
Quote by fooby.
Cheers. Good to know as that would be one of the most important upgrades. Can anyone point out to me what the major differences between the fat strat body and a fender one would be?

As far as dimensions, I don't think there are any differences at all. The wood on yours will likely be of lesser quality which may dull your tone a bit, but if you don't get erections from the tone coming from your amp you shouldn't notice too harsh of a difference. The Squier body might be a little thinner but again it's a minor difference. The bridge rout might be slightly different depending on whether you have a two-point or a six-point bridge. As far as the outline and having the capacity to put stuff on it, it's identical.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Thanks allot for the replies! Looks like it should be the perfect candidate then. If there were any major differences in sound due to the body, I could actually just end up replacing that too, then it truly would be a Fender, but I really can't see how there will be. As for prettiness I'm not bothered, I quite like guitars that look like they have clearly been messed around with (frankenstrat), I think it adds allot of character

My next question is about wiring, would there be a noticeable difference in wiring quality between fenders & squires, and if so, what's the best way to go about improving it?
Last edited by fooby. at Nov 26, 2011,
Just looking through eBay quickly, this project will be over time, as I don't ever have allot of money at once, but how does this sound for a spec. I'm really not sure on pickups yet, but I've played this combo before and likes the sound. Anybody know if you can split an 85?

Neck: Fender MIM
Trem: Fender American Standard
Pickups: EMG 89/SA/SA
Bar type string retainer instead of the normal string trees that knock everything out of tune easily.

Possibly a set of locking tuners also.
Last edited by fooby. at Nov 26, 2011,
Am I right in thinking I can just remove the tone pots completely and it won't cut the circuit off or anything?