Hey guys. I've been playing for about 2.5 years now as a hobby. The guitar I'm currently using is a reliable piece of shit lol. I bought one of those build it yourself guitar packs and its lasted me this long, but now I really want to upgrade.

Skill- I'm intermediate I guess. I can play stuff like dust in the wind and I know the intro to over the hills and far away.
Music Style- I mostly play classical rock and jazz/funk type stuff, sometimes 90s grunge like Alice in Chains. I love Amy Winehouse, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sublime, and pretty much any classic rock, although when I learn songs, I don't really try to learn the solos.
Budget- 300 is my max but around 250 is optimal.
Preferences- I really want a whammy bar, but if I can find a great guitar without one then I can deal.
Location- NYC
New/Used- Don't care

So any suggestions? If you need more info just let me know
Squire Strat should suit your needs or you could try to find a used fender mexican standard strat. itll be hard to find one for the price but worth it.
are you talking $ or £ or euros?
Quote by itamar100
Squire Strat should suit your needs or you could try to find a used fender mexican standard strat. itll be hard to find one for the price but worth it.
are you talking $ or £ or euros?

$$$ not euros
Used mexican strat or a cheap used american strat.
Ibanez sz320
Epiphone les paul or sg of some sort
Secondhand prs se 24
Try before you buy, do not just buy a guitar on my reccomendation to be safe.
I don't play your kind of music but that rough guide should be a good start for you.
Cheers.
Quote by ProgFripp74
Used mexican strat or a cheap used american strat.
Ibanez sz320
Epiphone les paul or sg of some sort
Secondhand prs se 24
Try before you buy, do not just buy a guitar on my reccomendation to be safe.
I don't play your kind of music but that rough guide should be a good start for you.
Cheers.

most of what youre recommending is way above his budget even used!

the american, prs and ibanez are above his budget.

a used mexican strat (GREAT guitar for the money) will do you good and it has quite a good tremolo.
an epiphone les paul is also great for the money but it wouldnt suit your style as well as the strat and it doesnt have a tremolo. you would be able to get it new though.
I would recommend that you walk into several music stores and try out as many guitars as you can that are double your price range and below. You'll hear/feel it when you find one that is really good for you. You've been playing long enough to tell for yourself.

If you find "the one" in your price range, great! If you find "the one" is out of your range, write down the make and model and start looking for used ones.

Also, try to get who ever you're buying the guitar from to throw in a free setup, this is usually not too hard to negotiate and it might make a huge difference in the sound/playability of the guitar.

Happy guitar hunting!

Having said that, you might look for a used G&L, those guitars are a heck of a deal for the money!
i got a used mexican blacktop strat for £400, but on gumtree, ebay and other sites, theres always used mexican strats popping up around £250-£300. they start about £370 so its not hard to get one
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
I use an epiphone g-400. It's a really decent guitar, I'd recommend to anyone who wants to go to the "next level" You can probably find it for less than 250 if you look well enough.
yeah, imma jump on the fender strat bandwagon
you really cant go wrong with one and tbh, if you keep the standard pickups in you can play a lot of classic rock and they give a great clean tone
theyre also sweet as **** when you put the gain up

gear
MIM Fender strat arctic white (2011)
epiphone LP custom alpine white (**** knows, got used for £200)
marshall avt50 head and 4x12 cab
Sounds like a Squier Stratocaster would be right up your alley. After some time, just get better pickups and maybe some locking tuners.. you should be good to go!
2010 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2011 PRS SE Santana limited edition of 25
2007 Ibanez SZ520QM-VCB
2009 Washburn Renegade WM23
Vox 20W Valvetronix

thanks for the replies guys! I was actually thinking about the epiphone les paul. Great reviews and overall a very sexy guitar lol. I think Amy Winehouse used to play those- I saw a picture of her with one actually. It would be perfect if it had tremolo.

I also checked out the G&Ls. Those look pretty solid, I'm gonna do some research on that.

I'm not too sure about the squires though. It's too much of a beginner's guitar and I don't want to have to upgrade the pickups to get a good tone out of it.

As for used guitars, I should make a trip to a few guitar shops once the semester is over to see whats available. I plan on buying it after Christmas (yay for envelopes!) so I have a lot of time to make my decision.

Any other models I should look into?
Last edited by iashleighx at Nov 26, 2011,
What do you guys think about the Epiphone Special-II GT? It has a tremolo and it's gotten great reviews AND only $200! I'm really considering this one. Do you think it would fit my playing style?
Quote by iashleighx
What do you guys think about the Epiphone Special-II GT? It has a tremolo and it's gotten great reviews AND only $200! I'm really considering this one. Do you think it would fit my playing style?

I think the whole Epiphone Special guitars are dreadful.

Also, new amp
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by iashleighx

I dont want to be Debbie Downer, but unless you go used you will not find a guitar with a diecent Trem for $200ish. If you like the look of the Special GT go try it out. Make sure you use the whammy alot to see if it holds tuning for you.

I am not a big Strat fan, but I would have to agree with most people here, a use MIM strat is going to be one of your very best options for getting what you want.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate