I have a guitar made from pine, and it's really light, but the guitar has a hell of a tone, why is it guitar companies don't use pine as often as alder for the body? I'm building a hollow-body cigar box guitar out of pine and was also wondering how to stain the body for a nice dark color, any ideas? Thanks guys
The guitar you have made out of pine, is it acoustic or electric?
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
they dont use it becase it is very soft. Old Fender Esquiers/Broadcasters were made of Pine.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Most_Triumphant
The guitar you have made out of pine, is it acoustic or electric?

It's an electric, but when I play it unplugged it has a strange warm almost acoustic sounding tone. It's really bluesy.
pines super light, unless you use the heart wood and treat it, it's weak. That being said, I found a big cedar plank at my neighbors house (it burned down) and I made a body, it's traced from a duo-sonic, but it was too small so the body is a fendery style but very small, like a micro jazzmaster. The woods very soft, so it needs a tough finish, and maybe even I'm thinking an aluminum brace for Longevity. Of course I'm no builder, just a tinkering student.
Strength is the only reason. The only other wood I personally have worked that is softer is basswood, and that depends on the kind of pine. Heck of a sound, easily broken.
Quote by fg-433s
Strength is the only reason. The only other wood I personally have worked that is softer is basswood, and that depends on the kind of pine. Heck of a sound, easily broken.

That's the irony of it, such a beautiful sound can be taken away if you simply drop it haha.