I need a new amp, but since tubes amp are more ''limited'' compare to modelers(even thougt they sound better), i browsed sites and found nice deals on bugera V22 (304$ at MF).Since its a vintagey amp, i thoug of a JCA Afterburner to boost it into harder rock/metal, because i play a bit of everything. I like the Afterburner because it has and OD and a volume boost on one pedal. Would that sound ok? It will be my Xmas present to myself tht i'll buy with the money other people gave me on Xmas, so ill obviously buy around new year. Any input? I saw a lot of love for Bugera 'round here, how oes it sound? and how the JCA Afterburner? How versatil will that be?
Id go for a Jet City JCA2112 combo over the V22
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by n1ckn1ce
Yeah, but they only have one channel :/

but that chl is better than both of the V22's... You can always stick a EQ in the signal for a second ch.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I really cant go above 400, and what i liked about the V22/afterburner combo is i could have clean channel/no pedal, clean channel/od, clean channel/boosted OD, lead no pedal, and so on.

Sound wise, everything would be a upgrade. I currently have a Spider 15W.
Just noticed you quoted me from ages ago haven't been on the forums for a while but anyways...

The one channel issue won't be a problem with the jet city if you are getting an overdrive pedal with a good amount of gain on tap, or if you play with a clean which is on the verge of breakup (which a lot of people do like as you can express your playing a lot better imo).

Other pedals i'd have a look at are ones such as the vox ice 9 overdrive, even though its a signature pedal there is a bunch of tones out of that pedal and may get one myself when i (hopefully) get this blackstar artisan i'm getting.

I'm in a similar situation to you, where i'm buying a low-ish gain amp, and need something probably to give it a little more as i'm a player who scrolls through genres often (like you, as it seems). If you did get the bugera, i think you should look elsewhere for a pedal to add a bit more gain, a tubescreamer is probably one of the more classic examples of a boost-y overdrive to add more gain than whats on tap.

Bugeras do sound nice, but i still don't think they are reliable enough. Some people like em, some don't, and for me i'd still have the feeling in the back of my head that i'm getting a high end behringer rather than a lower priced soldano amp (which obviously is what the jet city amps are there for)
The V22 is one of Bugera's best amps IMO. Go for it.

The V22 won't do Killswitch Engage but you'll get Sabbath, early Metallica and stoner sounds out of it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Most gain i'll ever need is something around story of the year and bullet for my valentine, btw. I would love a super high gain amp, buth thers not that much option in my price range ^^
On a side not, is it me or all time low are putting way too much gain on for their type of music?
Last edited by n1ckn1ce at Nov 25, 2011,
are you gigging or in a band? Cause the blackstar ht range has the gain there with a nice clean. I have the ht-1 and i do jazz to neo classical on it, its a lovely little amp.

But really, the jet city with the afterburner pedal would work quite well looking at it, you just have to judge yourself if it has enough gain. We can only give recommendations and reviews based on what we've played ourselves.
I'm starting out a band, but im just jamming acousticly at home currently because my electric is in repair and my spider is in my closet. I do enjoy shitloads of gain, even if i dont need it, just for messing around. but.. isnt the ht-1 only one watt? im afraid it wont do it :S

Im having a show next march at my school, and ill be playing some simple plan, some green day and some story of the year. If i get the afterburner with the jca2112rc, will i be able to pull that off?
+1 Raijouta - it is a great sounding amp for the money. Far better than the V5 or V55 as well.

Quote by Robbgnarly
but that chl is better than both of the V22's... You can always stick a EQ in the signal for a second ch.

That is subjective. I like the tone of the V22 over the JCA20 (have not played the 2112 yet). The V22 was more organic and warm. Whether or not an OD pedal will get you BFMV is your call - you'll have to try it.

This guy is getting some good metal'ish tones.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvXnWMjXbwk&feature=related
Any alternative to the Afterburnr? I saw the GFS Twin high gain, wich is the same type of pedal but with more gain on tap. How good/reliable are they?