http://news.ninemsn.com.au/technology/8378961/supercooled-water-riddle-solved

Quote by Excerpt from article
At what temperature does water have to freeze?

The answer: Not necessarily at zero degrees Celsius.

Water can exist in liquid form well below this threshold, notably in a so-called "supercooled" state that is well into the minus zone.

The reason: if you want to form ice from liquid water, you need a "seed" of ice from the liquid - a crystal that becomes the nucleus around which other crystals form.

But in very pure water, which has no contaminants or particles around which the critical nucleus can form, this can be difficult to achieve because of the unusual thermodynamics of H20.

So, why are these scientists doing everything they can to try and destroy common sense?
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Thought this was gonna be related to pollution.
Check out my band Disturbed
I thought all crystals needed a seed, thus ice would as well.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Shit, do we even exist anymore?
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
water is strange.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
It's not like subcooled liquids are something new. It's a little tough to grasp at first, but four years of learning about HVAC and subcooled refrigerants helped

I remember hearing about some coca cola vending machines in Thailand, or somewhere in Asian, where it would subcool the soda. When you open it, it foams up and shoots out. Troll coke.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Anymore? This is old news dude. Not to mention, freezing points change with pressure.
i don't know why i feel so dry
It's not 'common sense' that water freezes at 0 degrees C, it's a falsifiable scientific hypothesis which has been disproved when certain variables are taken into account such as water purity. Our knowledge of the world has therefore been marginally improved by this piece of research.
Last edited by Kumanji at Nov 25, 2011,
Quote by dann_blood
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/technology/8378961/supercooled-water-riddle-solved

So, why are these scientists doing everything they can to try and destroy common sense?

You really aren't that smart are you...
ever been so cold that your balls freeze and get all numb and tingly?

they should do a study on what temperature that occurs at.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
I'm guessing this is the same reason why purified water can be over 100C and still not boil until you put something in it and the whole thing explodes in your face.
Relevant: Water can also be superheated.

Edit: Ninja'd. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
Last edited by triface at Nov 25, 2011,
Did people not know this? My science fair project in my senior year of high school was on supercooling, and that was more than two years ago. This isn't exactly 'news'.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
I thought this was old news. I always read that if you cool water at a rapid speed and ensure that the lack of heat is evenly distributed then it won't turn to ice.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
This is clearly a scientific conspiracy to get funding for false projects. Everyone knows that water freezes at 0 degrees celsius!
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.

Get with the times, dann.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Dude, STFU, it's the same with these so called "climate scientists", making stuff up to scam the public purse. Get your heads out of the sand, brahs.
Quote by Vornik
WATER YOU WAITING FOR GARYYYYY

/bimonthly non-RT Pit post

bye!
Slappa tha bass
Quote by dann_blood
destroy common sense?

The search for the truth is destroying common sense?
I suppose you still think the earth is flat...

Ashley

Quote by dann_blood
This is clearly a scientific conspiracy to get funding for false projects. Everyone knows that water freezes at 0 degrees celsius!

Last edited by BlackLuster at Nov 25, 2011,
Quote by SlayingDragons
...Is TS serious right now? I mean, he's not just trolling on purpose to look stupid, right?

Of course not! No one would ever do that, would they?

Water is really cool though.
cat