Page 1 of 7
UG Frozen Synapse Tournament

Welcome to the UG Frozen Synapse Tournament!

For those who don't know, Frozen Synapse is a phase based indie strategy game that plays like a cross of chess and rainbow six. You each plan how your randomly generated squad will act in the span of the next 5 seconds in a randomly generated arena. Using the games simple but precise tools you can try to develop a strategy to counter your opponents every possible move. When both players submit their turn, the result plays out in real time. At the end of the playback, the second turn starts and the process continues.

This style of play makes for an extremely tense game mirroring the tension in trying to think ahead and outwit your opponent that comes from playing chess, in situations reminiscent of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six.

The multiplayer portion of the game is extensive and executed near perfectly. Each player can submit their turn at any time, and if they have to leave an email will notify them when their opponent has submitted their turn. This allows for a game that can be played without the need for both players to be at the screen until the match is complete.

Overall, Frozen Synapse is a game for those who love to try to outwit their opponents and seeing cold hard logic pay off.

Curious about the concept? Check out this video Skip to 16 minutes for the "This is awesome!" stage of the video

For anyone interested, you can download a demo or purchase the full product at www.frozensynapse.com

Tournament Details!

The tournament will be played in a basic best 2 out of 3 elimination style tournament. Each match up will play 3 games of frozen synapse, whoever takes 2 victories will move on to the next round. This should eliminate the possibilities of unfair spawn points or arena generation that the game can occasionally be known for.

The tournament will be played in the Dark Elimination game mode, which means you can only see your opponents spawn points and their last seen location if they are not in your direct line of sight. This allows for much more creative thinking and makes the game much more tense and enjoyable.

At the end of each round the both players should take and submit a screenshot of the end-game screen (or if that's too much hassle, both players must post their final score and who was victorious so as to avoid possible cheating).

Also, it would be pretty cool in my opinion if one of the players were to upload the match to youtube, which is an integrated option on the endgame screen so the entire tournament can be watched again if anyone so desires. Not necessary but I just think it would be pretty cool.

The tournament should start once we get hopefully at least 6 to 8 contestants, though if there seems to be a steady stream of contestants I'll impose a final signup date to notify when the tournament will officially start.

Have Fun guys! it's a great game and would make for an excellent tournament. The winner takes home some bragging rights and the rights to put UG's Frozen Synapse Champion in their signature.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Remember, the game doesn't have to be played with both players at their computers at the same time, the game's multiplayer system allows you to submit your turn whenever you are available to do so. That being said, please try not to allow a game to carry on too long. If a game goes unchanged for 3 days without prior notification, it will be considered a forfeit.**

Also note: If anyone has any suggestions or questions or something they think should be added or changed, please by all means let me know. This is the first tournament I've put together so I'll try my best but that hardly guarantees that it will go flawlessly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To join the tournament simply post in this thread that you would like to join, as well as your Steam ID and/or your Frozen Synapse username.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick(ish) Summary:

Best 2 out of 3 games. If one or more of the games is a complete tie, ignore it and play another.

Dark Elimination style game type (Enemies are only visible in line of sight and last known position)

PLEASE post the final scores and winners in the thread, screenshots preferred though not necessary.

Uploading the match via the in-game youtube support and submitting the link would also be much appreciated

Which contestant sends the challenge doesn't matter

If a game is inactive for 3 days without any notification it will be considered a forfeit. That being said if a game goes inactive for an unreasonable amount of time (IE: holding up everything else) It will also be considered forfeit. (I won't be too strict on this because everybody is busy including myself, basically just don't intentionally hold up everything.)

**The majority of us are on the UK1 server, for convenience please try to use the same server or co-ordinate otherwise in this thread**

Besides that, play nice and have fun!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Missed your chance to play in the tournament or eliminated but would love to try again?

Don't worry! Assuming all goes smoothly in this one I'll eventually try to organize a second if we can once more round up 8 or more players!
Quote by xander307
that wasnt scary daryldom, it turned me on

Proud Canadian Eh?
Last edited by daryldom at Dec 4, 2011,
The title of UG's First Frozen Synapse Champion goes to lp345!

Current Contestants:
UG Username - Steam ID - Frozen Synapse ID
daryldom - daryldom - daryldom
cornmancer - Cornmancer - Cornmancer
lp345 - LP - GT_LP
rjdusa - rjdusa - rjdusa
UntillSleep - untilisleep - Icarus992
Kyose - Kyose - Kyose
imdeth - Mr_Scott - imdeth
FrustratedRocka - FrustratedRocka - FrustratedRocka

Tournament Details @ Challonge

Past Matches:

FrustratedRocka[0] vs Cornmancer[2] - Round #1 & Round #2

daryldom[1] vs imdeth[2] - Round #1 & Round #2 & Round #3

rjdusa[0] vs UntillSleep[2] - Round #1 & Round #2

lp345[2] vs Kyose[1] - Round #1 - Round #2 - Round #3

lp345[2] vs cornmancer[0] - Round #1 & Round #2 is being glitchy. On it's way soon.

imdeth[0] vs UntillSleep[2] - Round #1 (Draw) & Round #2 - Round #3

FrustratedRocka[2] vs Kyose[1] - Round #1(Draw?) & Round #2 & Round #3 & Round #4

rjdusa[0] vs daryldom[2] - Round #1 & Round #2

cornmancer[1] vs daryldom[2] - Round #1 & Round #2 & Round #3

UntillSleep[0] vs lp345[2] - Round #1 & Round #2

imdeth[0] vs FrustratedRocka[2] - Round #1 & Round #2

daryldom[1] vs FrustratedRocka[2] - Round #1(Draw) & Round #2 & Round #3(Draw) & Round #4 & Round #5

FrustratedRocka vs UntillSleep[Forfeit]

lp345[1] vs FrustratedRocka[2] - Round #1 - Round #2 - Round #3

lp345 vs FrustratedRocka - FINALS - Round #1 - Round #2 - Round #3

End of Tournament.
Quote by xander307

Proud Canadian Eh?
Last edited by daryldom at Feb 12, 2012,
Steam name is 'LP' (probably be easier to go to the UG or Gaming Thread Steam group and add me through it). In-game name is 'GT_LP'.
I'm allowed to add myself to the tournament right?

Cheers guys, should be fun, haven't played in AGES so I might have to try and get some practice rounds in
Quote by xander307

Proud Canadian Eh?
If time permits, I'm in. Given the game's system it shouldn't be a problem.
Steam (link in sig) and FS usernames are both rjdusa.

Quote by cornmancer
My friend and I have been playing once a week-ish since the humble bundle came out. We're both horrid. I haven't even played against anyone but him yet.

I've yet to play more than a couple of the single player games so... meh.
Steam /PSN/Most Accounts - rjdusa
SCII: rjdusa :351
I'm sure it will be a pretty even tournament

Everyone is either new or out of practice (I think)
Quote by xander307

Proud Canadian Eh?
I'm in.

Haven't played in ages, so I'll suck just as much as the rest of you >_>

*goes to practice*
Quote by UntilISleep
I'm in.

Haven't played in ages, so I'll suck just as much as the rest of you >_>

*goes to practice*

Whats your Frozen Synapse username so I can add you to the list?

Quote by RedDeath9
This looks sick. Not sure if I'm gonna participate though.

Your more than welcome to! The more we have the better it is to be honest
Quote by xander307

Proud Canadian Eh?
Oooo! bought this in the humble bundle and I've been dying to play it but haven't gotten around to it yet. This seems like a pretty good excuse to...

I'll be back when I've made an account lol
Steam ID is in my sig, Frozen Synapse username is Kyose.
I'll try my best to commit to this but my college timetable is a bit hectic.
Quote by Kyose
Steam ID is in my sig, Frozen Synapse username is Kyose.
I'll try my best to commit to this but my college timetable is a bit hectic.

I thought the college schedule would get in the way too. Then I remembered how this game plays out. Even if you're busy you should be able to find a few minutes now and then to make a move.
Yeah, my program is busy as well, but this seemed great due to the way the multiplayer works. I don't need anything more than maybe 10 minutes max for a turn, and I'm positive I can spare that much time a few times a day

Were at 6 confirmed contestants right now with 2 unconfirmed and I know there's a few others in the gaming thread who own the game. I'll see if we can get up to at least 8 for the sake of a better organized tournament.

Looking forward to this
Quote by xander307

Proud Canadian Eh?
I've got a friend who wants to join, but isn't on UG. I'll text him later asking if it's cool if I just sign him up and give y'all his steam and Frozen Synapse, but I'm sure he'll be fine.
Quote by cornmancer
I've got a friend who wants to join, but isn't on UG. I'll text him later asking if it's cool if I just sign him up and give y'all his steam and Frozen Synapse, but I'm sure he'll be fine.

Sounds good, like I said I'm hoping to get 8 or 10 to make even brackets

Quote by rjdusa
Thought this might help you with the organizing.
http://www.printyourbrackets.com/index.html

Thanks! Should help, I was trying to see if I could post brackets in ASCII Art. I could not

Might just do this and make it an image.

Hmmm....

EDIT:

Does anyone have a preference between standard Single Elimination style or Double Elimination?

I think a chance to come back from an initial loss would make it a bit more fun but it's up to majority vote I think
Quote by xander307

Proud Canadian Eh?
Last edited by daryldom at Nov 26, 2011,
So something like this would be good?

It seems a bit odd to me that the losers bracket ends up in the final match and if the winners bracket loses that match, the champion is decided by a second match.

I mean I guess it makes sense though, gives the winners bracket an advantage yet still gives a chance to the losers bracket.

Yes/No/Other suggestions?
Quote by xander307

Proud Canadian Eh?
I prefer double elimination anyways. Gives you a bit of a break if you have a bad day.

EDIT: ^ It makes more sense if you think about it as "two loses and you're out".
Last edited by rjdusa at Nov 26, 2011,
Quote by rjdusa
^ It makes more sense if you think about it as "two loses and you're out".

Ohhhh.

Yeah it definitely does. Thanks!

Alright then, that style Double Elimination Tournament it is. Now it's just waiting until we have 8 confirmed players.
Quote by xander307

Proud Canadian Eh?
If you use Challonge, everyone can have easy access to see how the bracket is going, we could post scores and it does everything for you, you just have to tell it who won.

http://challonge.com/

Quote by daryldom
So something like this would be good?

It seems a bit odd to me that the losers bracket ends up in the final match and if the winners bracket loses that match, the champion is decided by a second match.

I mean I guess it makes sense though, gives the winners bracket an advantage yet still gives a chance to the losers bracket.

Yes/No/Other suggestions?

That's how a double elimination tournament works. Essentially, the person who makes it to grand finals through winners faces off against the person who made it there from losers. The person from losers then has a chance to knock their opponent into losers (resetting the bracket) and then play them again to win.
Last edited by Kyose at Nov 27, 2011,
Quote by Kyose
If you use Challonge, everyone can have easy access to see how the bracket is going, we could post scores and it does everything for you, you just have to tell it who won.

http://challonge.com/

That's how a double elimination tournament works. Essentially, the person who makes it to grand finals through winners faces off against the person who made it there from losers. The person from losers then has a chance to knock their opponent into losers (resetting the bracket) and then play them again to win.

Thanks for the link!

Live bracket image is up and will be updated as this proceeds. Just waiting on two more confirmations before this starts up. As such, if there are any major complaints to the randomly generated bracket pairings, speak up now

Yeah I understand it now, just at first glance it seemed really weird
Quote by xander307

Proud Canadian Eh?
You are? Luckily for you I've been too busy playing Disgaea 3 to practice for this. >_>

EDIT: I also made a challonge user name (same as the other 3) if it matters.
Last edited by rjdusa at Nov 27, 2011,
Before I get it, can someone tell me what restrictions the demo has? Will I still be able to play in the tournament if I get the demo?
Quote by rjdusa
You are? Luckily for you I've been too busy playing Disgaea 3 to practice for this. >_>

EDIT: I also made a challonge user name (same as the other 3) if it matters.

Okay I'll add your username so you can access the bracket. I'm not exactly sure what that allows you to do besides using the discussion thread (which is kind of pointless since this thread is the focus) and to add video links and screenshots to each bracket.

I'll point it out though,

No one is required to make a challonge username, if screenshots and videos are posted in this thread I'll tie it into the live brackets.

Quote by RedDeath9
Before I get it, can someone tell me what restrictions the demo has? Will I still be able to play in the tournament if I get the demo?

Umm, I'm not entirely sure but I really quite doubt that the demo has an unlimited multiplayer component

sorry that wasn't definite.
Quote by xander307

Proud Canadian Eh?
I'm in. All usernames are the same.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Also, Challonge username is the same as it is here.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Contestant list and the tournament brackets are updated.

imdeth think I could get your Frozen Synapse ID? If you haven't fired it up at all yet you have to create a quick account for the online multiplayer, it's free and easy. It's basically just so the game can notify you when somebody has submitted a turn.

we have the full 8 players so I'll give one more day to see if anybody has anything they think should be changed and to give everyone a chance to see that it's about to start.

Main post has been updated with:

Quick Summary:

Best 2 out of 3 games. If one or more of the games is a complete tie, ignore it and play another.

Dark Elimination style game type (Enemies are only visible in line of sight and last known position)

PLEASE post the final scores and winners in the thread, screenshots preferred though not necessary.

Uploading the match via the in-game youtube support and submitting the link would also be much appreciated

Which contestant sends the challenge doesn't matter

If a game is inactive for 3 days without any notification it will be considered a forfeit. That being said if a game goes inactive for an unreasonable amount of time (IE: holding up everything else) It will also be considered forfeit. (I won't be too strict on this because everybody is busy including myself, basically just don't intentionally hold up everything.)

Besides that, play nice and have fun!
Quote by xander307

Proud Canadian Eh?
I just realized... this could go on VERY long. Even if the games only lasted one turn and all matches are won in the first two games there's potential for this to last 42 days. If this goes beyond mid December (the 18th I think) I'll have to drop out. Going on vacation and won't have internet until for about 10 days.
Last edited by rjdusa at Nov 28, 2011,
We all need to be in game and on the same server to send the challenge, I think. Texas 2 might be best since nobody else uses it.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

Quote by FrustratedRocka
We all need to be in game and on the same server to send the challenge, I think. Texas 2 might be best since nobody else uses it.

You don't have to both be online but you both have to have been on the same server before.

For example I have LP,Kyose, you and UntillSleep added on the UK1 server, but I have rjdusa added on Texas2.

There isn't any lag for this game so it would problably make more sense if we all signed in to the default server at some point so everyone can be added there since the majority already are. While it doesn't matter which server the match is played on, it's a little more simplistic if we base it off just one.
Quote by xander307

Proud Canadian Eh?