There's probably already a similar thread to this, so excuse me for being too lazy to look.

What string gauges would you need for:

- seven-string Drop A?
- A standard?
- B standard? and
- C standard?

I'm thinking of getting Ernie Ball 7-String Power Slinkies when I get a 7-string, and if I was to play six-string (maybe Drop B,) Drop A and the standard six-string tunings, I'd just tune the 2nd-7th strings and ignore the 1st, would that be a sufficient gauge (given that would be 14-58?

Oh, and can someone spell out what the tunings would be? That's probably really slack of me, but at least I could have all this in the one place, and some of the Drop A seven string tabs I looked at quickly said different things about Drop A

Cheers.
Last edited by staceap at Nov 25, 2011,
Drop A on a 7 string is A(7) E(6) A(5) D(4) G(3) B(2) E(1).

Quote by staceap
I'd just tune the 2nd-7th strings and ignore the 1st, would that be a sufficient gauge (given that would be 14-58?

If I'm reading that correctly then the tuning would be A(7) E(6) A(5) D(4) F#(3) B(2) E(1). The "()"s are the strings.

I don't know about the string gauge since I only play with 9s, 9.5s, and 10s and the heaviest were 12s but just wait for someone else who knows more than I do to help you with that. Hope I helped.
The gauges all depend on what you want it to feel like. If you like medium tension, standard 10-56 sets will be fine in B standard, but probably too loose in A standard or drop A.

Drop A-
A
E
A
D
G
B
e

B Standard-
B
E
A
D
G
B
e

A Standard-
A
D
G
C
F
A
D

C Standard isn't usually used on a 7 string, because if the lowest string was a C, you'd be tuned higher than normal on a 7. It can be done like this though, which is 6 string C standard with a low G-
G
C
F
A#
D#
G
C
@xshade: every little bit helps

@littlephil: the seven string power slinkies have an 11 for the high E string in them. The main problem I have with them is that they're essentially the six-string powers with a 58 on top, but the sixth string is only a 48, and I found the six-string powers were a bit loose even in Drop C. That said, the seven string powers are the heaviest Ernie Ball set, but I dunno, there just doesn't seem a lot of seven-string sets out there? I think I found one D'Addario set (10-59 with a 46 on the 6th), but their site's a nightmare to navigate compared to Ernie Ball's, and there was one Dunlop set which went 10-60, also with a 48 on the sixth string. Maybe I should buy a set such as the Not Even Slinky (12-56) or the Beefy Slinky (11-54, which I use on my six-string for Standard through to Drop B comfortably) and buy a heavier single string for the 7th?
Maybe I'm just thinking B-standard needs heavier strings because it's used in melo-death and such like Amon Amarth, even though it doesn't?