Hey, I search-barred and didn't really find anything, so I come seeking your infinite wisdom.

My band is recording demo's, and we've got pretty much everything sounding good, with the exception of the drums. This is partially because we don't really have any good drum mics, which I will be getting soon enough, but that's off topic.

What I want to know, is how I can record his drums with my six thousand shitty vocal mics the band owns collectively, and use the sounds as triggers and sample over the drum parts.

I've seen a program called KTDrumTrigger that seems like it would do what I want, but I can't seem to get it to work in Garageband. (I know, I need to upgrade, just don't know what to.) Does anyone have any advise for me?
I've used KT Drum Trigger for exactly the purpose you're describing and it worked a treat.

The only things I found I had to do were:
-take the resulting midi track and back it up a few milliseconds so that it stayed aligned with the original drums. (I was using the overheads that I recorded and blended them with the new triggered tracks.... alignment to the millisecond was critical)
-set thresholds appropriately - required some fiddling
-make sure velocity recognition (or whatever it is called) was checked to ensure the dynamics of the live drum performance

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
My problem is, I can't get the program to open, lol. I downloaded the mac version, and put it in my VST folder, but garageband doesn't recognize it. I have plenty of VST's, and know how to use them, but this is the first time this has happened.
Just downloaded the free trial of Drumagog, and it works just fine. Guess I'll just buy that, since I can't seem to get TKDrumTrigger to work.
I'd highly suggest getting Slate Trigger if you can afford Drumagog, instead. It's very simple to use and the samples it comes with sound great, not to mention you can create your own very easily.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I'd highly suggest getting Slate Trigger if you can afford Drumagog, instead. It's very simple to use and the samples it comes with sound great, not to mention you can create your own very easily.

Just purchased Trigger EX myself this very morning, as I'm growing tired of having to correct the mistakes made by Logic 8's audio-to-score function (to be fair, it wasn't really designed as a drum replacer like the one in Logic 9, but it is a workaround to get MIDI data from audio signals, to trigger samples once they've been worked on a little).

If you are interested, Sweetwater.com have it for $99 which is just under half price - first time I've used Sweetwater as I'm in the UK and can't get them to deliver anything physical without paying a lot on shipping, but with electronic delivery it's fine for any part of the world
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Sounds like a plan to me. I thought about getting Drumagog and the Slate samples, but if I can use Slate on it's own, those are some of the best drum samples I've ever heard. I'll most definitely look into it.
GB doesn't use VST's it uses AU's.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by strangedogs
GB doesn't use VST's it uses AU's.

Can't believe I didn't him saying that, given I'm a Mac user and have told countless people on this site that GB/Logic don't run anything but AU

The way TS talks about it though, it is kinda unclear whether he is saying VST instead of plug-in, and knows the format is AU, or whether he really is confusing .vst and .au plugin folders.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Nov 26, 2011,
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Just purchased Trigger EX myself this very morning, as I'm growing tired of having to correct the mistakes made by Logic 8's audio-to-score function (to be fair, it wasn't really designed as a drum replacer like the one in Logic 9, but it is a workaround to get MIDI data from audio signals, to trigger samples once they've been worked on a little).

If you are interested, Sweetwater.com have it for $99 which is just under half price - first time I've used Sweetwater as I'm in the UK and can't get them to deliver anything physical without paying a lot on shipping, but with electronic delivery it's fine for any part of the world

I'm pretty sure the regular price for EX is $125, so you only got $25 off. You should've waited till Monday. All the Slate stuff is going on sale on their site for half off. That means you could've gotten Platinum for $25 more than what you paid for EX...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
You could just get a bunch of piezo transducers (you can get a big bag for about $5) and an alesis triggerIO. A lot of DIY work but it'll get excellent results.
Quote by MatrixClaw
I'm pretty sure the regular price for EX is $125, so you only got $25 off. You should've waited till Monday. All the Slate stuff is going on sale on their site for half off. That means you could've gotten Platinum for $25 more than what you paid for EX...

I see what you mean :/ Now that's a big kick in the nuts... Trigger Platinum is $299 on the site, so if it's all gonna be half off, knowing I coulda got it for $149 is annoying... but maybe I could get an upgrade to Platinum for cheap as a result of the sale?

Tbh, it's more the annoyance at missing a better deal than the wanting the extra samples of Platinum
Quote by DisarmGoliath
I see what you mean :/ Now that's a big kick in the nuts... Trigger Platinum is $299 on the site, so if it's all gonna be half off, knowing I coulda got it for $149 is annoying... but maybe I could get an upgrade to Platinum for cheap as a result of the sale?

Tbh, it's more the annoyance at missing a better deal than the wanting the extra samples of Platinum

Yeah, I feel ya. I posted it in Adam's spam thread and you replied to my post

Hopefully they will offer the upgrades at a discounted price. I know a lot of people who bought EX within the last week who are pissed they didn't get in on the sale.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Can't believe I didn't him saying that, given I'm a Mac user and have told countless people on this site that GB/Logic don't run anything but AU

The way TS talks about it though, it is kinda unclear whether he is saying VST instead of plug-in, and knows the format is AU, or whether he really is confusing .vst and .au plugin folders.

I say VST, but I do mean plug-in, lol. It's just habit I guess, since I've recently switched from PC to Mac. I'm currently working on getting both drum mics, and some DDrum triggers, and I've found some good free drum samples, but I'll probably end up getting the Slade platinum if it's only $150 on Monday. Thanks for the info on the sale, btw; I would have never known, otherwise.
Managed to pick up the upgrade from EX to Trigger Platinum for 85$, so kinda part-salvaged an unfortunate situation - still paid $60 more than I could have done though if I'd realised what Matrix was on about when he said about the Slate sale and that it was all their stuff at 50% off :/ Plus clearly Sweetwater charge a lot more usually than Slate do, as Sweetwater had the RRP for EX at $199 ... so I paid more, and had to deal with the hassle of the irritating Sweetwater rep hassling me about what music I make and to check out his soundcloud - never shopped with a US store that has no UK outlet before, so if all your sales assistants are like that in the US I feel very sorry for you! Never had anyone from a UK website hounding me about their personal music career

Well, they are "in sales."

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Yeah, but if a UK rep for a company started trying that with me I'd tell him to p!$$ off before I got hold of his supervisor and had him on a disciplinary