Page 1 of 3
So a friend bought it up today and I think it's actually interesting.
What say you, Pit?

Richard Dawkins explains the gay gene

Couldn't really find anything recent but a quick google search will provide you with some articles for further reading.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
There's no specific gay gene so you can't really call it a gay gene

In his discussion with Steven Pinker, available somewhere on youtube, his first theory was disproven
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Last edited by Cianyx at Nov 25, 2011,
I stopped taking it seriously after I read "Darwinian dogma"
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Cianyx
There's no specific gay gene so you can't really call it a gay gene

In his discussion with Steven Pinker, available somewhere on youtube, his first theory was disproven

Well yeah, but for anyone who's not into anatomy it's just a layman term
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

Last edited by Niiko at Nov 25, 2011,
There isn't really any specific gene that causes someone to be homosexual. Some genes increase the chance of someone being gay, but that's about it. I'm in support of the theory that it's a result of hormones.
I don't know about "gay gene (though I have seen gay jeans)," but it is a fact that the brains of gay men tend to look more like those of women and those of gay women look more like those of men.

Really, though, people who get into a huff over the existence of gays need to learn to mind their own business.
It's just gays trying to justify their way of life. There is no gay gene.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Most_Triumphant
It's just gays trying to justify their way of life. There is no gay gene.

Untrue. I have a friend named Gene. And he is gay. And he gets his fill of gay gene jokes.

No shit.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Cianyx
^Why would homosexuality need to be justified?

Fair enough

Here was the video I was referring to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIMReUsxTt4&feature=player_detailpage#t=635s

"Blocked in your country on copyright grounds"

I'll search for it anyway, thanks man.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

Dawkins is a douche and his daughter is Hermione Granger
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I think it is funny you and your friends sit around discussing gays... I don't even want to know what else you two do when you are alone.
I am bisexual. The belief in being 'born gay' is complete bullshit. As it would be with any sexuality.

Its just the way people grow up. People come to terms with their sexuality based on their environment and the oppertunities in life that they're given.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
there's no proof.

stop being such a pussy and label it as a choice then defend your right to that choice. dont hide behind the i cant help it, woe is me card. man up.

buncha homos.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I am bisexual. The belief in being 'born gay' is complete bullshit. As it would be with any sexuality.

Its just the way people grow up. People come to terms with their sexuality based on their environment and the oppertunities in life that they're given.

Wrong
I know a gay guy named Gene

I never believed the "they're born that way" thing anyway.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by StewieSwan
Wrong

Not in my experience.

Elaborate.

edit: Actually, elaborating upon it would be pointless because sexualities mean different things to different people.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 25, 2011,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Not in my experience.

Elaborate.

Empirical evidence > your 'experience'

Check out Ur All $hit's blog on the subject.
If you're gay, you're gay. If you're not, you're not.

I don't care either way. Nobody should. Sexual preference isn't something worth bitching over. We can't change it, so what's the point?
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Studies have been done showing that the brains of gay men are more similar to those of straight females than straight men. This shows that they are different, and didn't just choose their sexuality. There are tons of gay people who will tell you they had no choice; I mean, kids have been kicked out of their houses because of their sexuality... why would they choose that?
Quote by StewieSwan
Empirical evidence > your 'experience'

Check out Ur All $hit's blog on the subject.

Why should i believe that guy? What i consider as a sexuality is different to what you consider it. I find myself attracted to the same sex and the opposite sex. I'm happy to accept that i have bisexual tendencies.

Quote by BeefWellington
If you're gay, you're gay. If you're not, you're not.

I don't care either way. Nobody should. Sexual preference isn't something worth bitching over. We can't change it, so what's the point?

Partially this.

However, i do belive that people can change their personality in any way if they want to, to the point were it becomes instinctive given time. That is what happened with me. It took several years to actually be fully comfortable with my sexuality, but now i am.

Quote by herby190
Studies have been done showing that the brains of gay men are more similar to those of straight females than straight men. This shows that they are different, and didn't just choose their sexuality. There are tons of gay people who will tell you they had no choice; I mean, kids have been kicked out of their houses because of their sexuality... why would they choose that?

Perhaps so, but any which way, people can choose to be who they want to be with enough dedication. Depression for example can be hereditory. Can people help it if they're depressed? No. Can people get themselves out of depression even if it is hereditory? Yes.

Why would sexuality be any different?
Quote by TheSennaj
I foresee a shitstorm.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by izbbass
I foresee a shitstorm.
I think I'm going to have to leave.... I got a warning last time I got in one of these types of debates for comparing someone to a cheese-grater full of stupid.
Everything we become is written into our genetic code as potential. How genes are expressed is affected by our environment by diiffering magnitudes. I don't see why it would be any different concerning sexuality.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Why should i believe that guy?

Because he's a lot smarter than you are.

Edit: Well that and he cites scientific studies done on the matter instead of just posting an opinion with absolutely no credible backing whatsoever.

What i consider as a sexuality is different to what you consider it. I find myself attracted to the same sex and the opposite sex. I'm happy to accept that i have bisexual tendencies.

So you're bisexual. Cool. That doesn't mean everyone else is.
Last edited by StewieSwan at Nov 25, 2011,
T00DEEPBLUE, sexuality has a generally accepted meaning. If it means something to you, maybe you should specify just what it means. Currently, sexuality definitely has a genetic component and gay individuals and biological different than their straight counterparts, though not by much. Your personal experience means absolutely nothing in a discussion of science, and the fact that you're bisexual does nothing to justify your ignorance.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by StewieSwan
So you're bisexual. Cool. That doesn't mean everyone else is

At what point did i say that everyone is bisexual?

Quote by StewieSwan
Because he's a lot smarter than you are.

Because he wrote an article and that makes him smart be default.
At least the previous quote proves that i'm not the dimmest crayon in the box.

Quote by Eastwinn
T00DEEPBLUE, sexuality has a generally accepted meaning. If it means something to you, maybe you should specify just what it means. Currently, sexuality definitely has a genetic component and gay individuals and biological different than their straight counterparts, though not by much. Your personal experience means absolutely nothing in a discussion of science, and the fact that you're bisexual does nothing to justify your ignorance.

kk. I'm sure you have a lot more knowledge than i do. I'm just relating to my experience. I havn't always been into guys all my life so i think aulthough having certain genes might be a catalyst, it isn't the sole reason why people are a certain sexuality.

Anyway, i'm out of here before i start another pointless arguement.
Quote by TheSennaj
I have a gay friend who told me he's been gay from as far back as he can remember. Most people don't choose their sexuality like choosing what they're going to eat for dinner.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
At what point did i say that everyone is bisexual?

You imply it when you say that you choose to be with either sex and that sexuality isn't genetic.

Because he wrote an article and that makes him smart be default.
At least the previous quote proves that i'm not the dimmest crayon in the box.

No, it's because (like I already said) he backs it up with scientific studies that have been conducted on the matter.

Studies > Anecdotal-evidence-based opinions.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

This is what I like to think as well. If what we are attracted to sexually is determined by genetics, how come every generation has such a drastically different popular idea of what is sexually attractive?
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by PatchworkMan
This is what I like to think as well. If what we are attracted to sexually is determined by genetics, how come every generation has such a drastically different popular idea of what is sexually attractive?

Determined ~partially~ by genetics
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
There is evidence that sexuality is genetically determined, at least partly. However, I find the question of whether it is to be a non-issue, and focusing exclusively on it creates several problems. I personally think that it makes being queer an excuse, instead of a preference that has no particular reason to be considered "bad." It becomes an issue of "Oh, poor him, he can't help himself" instead of "Why should anyone care who someone is romantically and/or sexually interested in?"

You don't hear people arguing about why people like broccoli as opposed to asparagus, or what the ramifications of liking both are. I realize that vegetable preferences aren't as politically charged as sexual ones, but I honestly think that we should work toward it being that much of a non-issue.

I'm bisexual, if anyone cares. Not that it should lend anything to my argument, but I think it's important to identify oneself in discussions like these.
Quote by Cianyx
Determined ~partially~ by genetics

But the human race doesn't make drastic changes to its genetic makeup every generation.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by Holy Katana
There is evidence that sexuality is genetically determined, at least partly. However, I find the question of whether it is to be a non-issue, and focusing exclusively on it creates several problems. I personally think that it makes being queer an excuse, instead of a preference that has no particular reason to be considered "bad." It becomes an issue of "Oh, poor him, he can't help himself" instead of "Why should anyone care who someone is romantically and/or sexually interested in?"

You don't hear people arguing about why people like broccoli as opposed to asparagus, or what the ramifications of liking both are. I realize that vegetable preferences aren't as politically charged as sexual ones, but I honestly think that we should work toward it being that much of a non-issue.

I'm bisexual, if anyone cares. Not that it should lend anything to my argument, but I think it's important to identify oneself in discussions like these.

That's exactly how i've always thought of it. I just find it hard to believe there's a specific gene for gay or not gay.
most physical phenotypes are way more complex then this gene = this phenotype. And it's even more complex with behavioural phenotypes.

Of course sexuality is genetic. The argue of nature vs nurture is a fallacy. There's almost always a role for both, eg genes + gene expression and regulation, epigenetics, etc, etc.
Last edited by technicolour at Nov 26, 2011,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Not in my experience.

Elaborate.

edit: Actually, elaborating upon it would be pointless because sexualities mean different things to different people.

http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/sexual-orientation.aspx

Your experience is wrong.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Anyway, i'm out of here before i start another pointless arguement.

This is normally what people say when they can't actually back up their opinions.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Last edited by dann_blood at Nov 26, 2011,
Page 1 of 3