hi all, i was wondering if i could run my 6505 plus with my 5150 4 12 slant cab. i'm fairly new to the head cab field. i don't know the watts on the cab or how much it can take. any help would be great. thanks
Attachments:
IMAG0745.jpg
Don"t Be A Bitch.
but if the amp is under powered will it hurt anything? and this is a bit humbling but which jack do i plug into on the cab? or does it matter...
Don"t Be A Bitch.
You don't want the cab to be overpowered by the amp. Since the cab can handle, I am guessing, 120W from the normal head, the combo should be fine I believe. You have to connect the speaker out from the combo to the input on the cab matching the ohms from the amplifier. Mono I believe. So if the combo is running at 8ohms per se, you need to be connected to the 8ohms mono on the cabinet. I don't know what options the cab has.
Again I dont think there is such a thing as underpowering a cab, but I can be completely wrong. If you wanted to connect both the cab and the combos internal speakers you would want to make sure (and hopefully someone else can verify) what connecting two speaker cables would do (work in parallel or series).
ya, i'm a bit in the boondocks so getting outside help without the internet is a bit of a task. i do know that the amp has parallel output jacks. the cab is pretty old with out many labels.

I just tried it and all the speakers had output. I didn't crank it our anything.

then also you were saying that the 2 different inputs in the back of the cab are for different ohm outputs? and if so do you switch when you change your impedance
Don"t Be A Bitch.
Quote by southpaw_tdg
ya, i'm a bit in the boondocks so getting outside help without the internet is a bit of a task. i do know that the amp has parallel output jacks. the cab is pretty old with out many labels.

I just tried it and all the speakers had output. I didn't crank it our anything.

then also you were saying that the 2 different inputs in the back of the cab are for different ohm outputs? and if so do you switch when you change your impedance

If there are multiple jacks on the back of the cab there is more than likely a mono jack and two? stereo jacks, again it depends on how the cab speakers were wired on what impedance they are.

Are there no identifying markers on the back as to which is which and at what ohms?

If I messed something up anyone, blame it on sleep deprivation and my work schedule. later.
Last edited by Sputnik1 at Nov 25, 2011,
"Left" is usually mono.

Also, are you using speaker cable? That is really important. Regular instrument cable isn't designed for that.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
no the cab doesn't have any labels for the jacks

the inputs are top and bottom so... top would be mono then... i guess i can just play around. i just don't wana break anything

thanks for the speaker cable tip. didn't know there was a difference... kinda feel dumb, i saw that the cable going into the combo was different but didn't think anything of it.

there is some kind of wiring label (pic in next post)
Don"t Be A Bitch.
ok... so that is the max size it will let me upload.... translated...

MFG LOC-03 JFF21
MLR CONNECTOR #1 - GROUND
#2 - POSITIVE #3 - NC, 16 OHMS
Don"t Be A Bitch.
Quote by southpaw_tdg
ok... so that is the max size it will let me upload.... translated...

MFG LOC-03 JFF21
MLR CONNECTOR #1 - GROUND
#2 - POSITIVE #3 - NC, 16 OHMS

16 ohm cab.

What is the impedance on the combo? Probably 8, right?

It should be okay to play an 8 ohm amp through a 16 ohm cab though...

Also, unless the cab says it's stereo, then it is most likely mono, so any jack is fine.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
The combo has an impedance selector for 4, 8 and 16 ohms.
Quote by Lord_Doku
The entire Spider line sounds like a trashcan getting humped by a fire truck while it's in the garbage disposal unit.

Quote by Kelly55
anal is quite the experience
Quote by 3456yh
The combo has an impedance selector for 4, 8 and 16 ohms.

Really?? That's weird for a combo.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Not weird i had a ultra 2x12 combo before i swapped it for the head and 2x12 and it had an impedance selector i'm pretty sure.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Not weird i had a ultra 2x12 combo before i swapped it for the head and 2x12 and it had an impedance selector i'm pretty sure.

I can see a kid flipping it without knowing wut it do.

Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Yeah most of the Peavey combos have the selector switch. Ultra, XXX, JSX, 5150, etc.
It's cause Peavey is cool like that.

But seriously, I don't know why every amp doesn't have a selector switch. It's just so... useful.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I think the 5150 only has a 16 ohm speaker out. I can't really check, it's pressed up against the wall in a corner behind stuff.

It's in the time out corner because I hate it.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
ya this combo has a 4 8 16 selector. what does that switch do? is it just the power of the output. what does moving that around do?
Don"t Be A Bitch.
You have to match up the ohms with whatever cab you're using. So since your cab is 16 ohms, set your amp to 16 ohms.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
so what if the speaker in the combo has a different ohm setting than the cab? do i just use the one with the lowest setting
Don"t Be A Bitch.
Quote by Sputnik1
Yeah most of the Peavey combos have the selector switch. Ultra, XXX, JSX, 5150, etc.

My 6505 212 doesn't have a switch. It takes a 16ohm cab when you have the onboard speakers still plugged in and then auto switches when the onboards are disconnected. I have them unplugged for using my mesa cab @ 8ohms.

so what if the speaker in the combo has a different ohm setting than the cab? do i just use the one with the lowest setting

Depends if you want to use the speaker in the combo or not. In your case, both the onboard and the 6505 4x12 cab are 16 ohm. So if you want to use one or the other, switch to 16. Since the speaker jacks are run in parallel, if you want to run both, select 8.

And I'm assuming the older 5150 cabs are 16 ohm. :P
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
ok so i checked the booklet pdf and it says the internal combo speaker is 16 ohm. the cab is apparently also a 16 ohm. so in summation when i play them together after getting the appropriate speaker cable I put the impudence on half of 16. 8ohms.

now when i just have the combo on its own and just using the one 16ohm speaker do i put the impudence on 16ohm?
Don"t Be A Bitch.
Quote by DarthV
So if you want to use one or the other, switch to 16.

Hate quoting myself, but...
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
ok...so i was just jamming for about 30min and i had the switch turn to 16 ohm just play through the combo speaker. I quit playing cause i started smelling something that smelled like hot glue melting... or something melting... so i shut it off quickly. WTF just happened
Don"t Be A Bitch.
Quote by coolstoryangus
bugera'd.

+1
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
no... ok... googled... no idea.. it shitted out? or i'm dumb and fried it. or no big just a new amp thing................................................
Don"t Be A Bitch.