So. I've been given the okay to build an electric guitar over the summer. I've researched it quite a bit, and have a basic understanding of how its done. And my dad said he could help with wiring the pickups and knobs and such.
A couple problems though. I still don't really understand what scale length is, and how to find it. (Considering I'd like to build a 7-String) Can someone explain that to me? And inlays on the fretboard. I have no idea where I could buy them, or how to install them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Scale length is the distance between the nut and the saddles. Double the distance between the nut and twelfth fret. Standard for a 7 string is 25.5", I think.

As far as inlays, you cut a shape out of the fretboard, cut a matched piece of some other material (such as mother of pearl), and glue that piece in place. If you buy a pre-cut inlay, you just have to cut the hole in the fretboard.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Scale length as I understand it determine the tension of the strings(which can effect tunings), fret-size and total number of those frets.

Don't ask me what the specifics are though, I was considering building a guitar over the holidays myself but I don't have the time or money at the moment.
Google "Luthier"

go to stewmac.com and order a few books...

a start is that the scale length is the length between the bridge and the nut.
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!